Treespades

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wingspar

So, who makes the best treespades out there for skidsteers? Has anyone tried one? What did you like/dislike? Are they worth the big $$$? Thanks, wingspar

JustAwrench

From a service standpoint-The customers liked ours(Bobcat's) and what it did for them, but they broke a lot-mostly hoses and the pivot bosses. Like most skid-steer attachments, they are not going to do as well as a dedicated machine. Most of our breakdowns occured by trying to snatch to big a tree. I haven't seen one in a while-Bobcat may have improved them by now.

kanimalhouse

I rented one last week and it sucked. It was a Diamond King and I was trying to get a spruce that was about 18 inches tall in heavy clay. This stupid thing couldn't penetrate through the clay very well and all I got for a root ball was maybe a cubic foot of dirt. The angle was too steep and the spade did not open up so getting around trees was damaging or impossible. I would use Bobcat brand if I had a choice. I went to the Bobcat website and looked up the specs of the Bobcat spade and it gave good information about applications. The hoses on the spade we rented had been replaced several times, just keep an eye out for those because they tend to get pinched. I have a fairly big machine s175, so it should have worked on our clay but a straighter angle was more suited. If you plan on buying one, definitely make them let you try it out.

OP
OP
W

wingspar

I rented one last week and it sucked. It was a Diamond King and I was trying to get a spruce that was about 18 inches tall in heavy clay. This stupid thing couldn't penetrate through the clay very well and all I got for a root ball was maybe a cubic foot of dirt. The angle was too steep and the spade did not open up so getting around trees was damaging or impossible. I would use Bobcat brand if I had a choice. I went to the Bobcat website and looked up the specs of the Bobcat spade and it gave good information about applications. The hoses on the spade we rented had been replaced several times, just keep an eye out for those because they tend to get pinched. I have a fairly big machine s175, so it should have worked on our clay but a straighter angle was more suited. If you plan on buying one, definitely make them let you try it out.
Kanimalhouse: did you use rear stabilizers?

OP
OP
W

wingspar

I've never heard of Diamond King. Where are they made?