new to business questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cassieaaron

Hello, I am new to the skid steer business. Well actually I haven't fully committed yet! I have an opportunity to buy a machine (Bobocat T300) high flow. this machine comes with about 15 implements. 5ft brush axe, mulching head, tree sheer, root grapples, 2 trenching heads, post hole diggers and heads, buckets, soil compactors, and leveling attachments. I see this as an opportunity to get in the business with quite a bit of stuff to keep me going. I saw several good suggestions on your sight for formulating a business plan, and target markets and etc. I have a question on the machine. it has about 4000 hrs. very clean. it was owned by a ranch not used commercially. 2006 model. what type of life expectance is there for this machine before it would be considered wore out? is 4000 hrs a lot or just broke in? I also would welcome any advice as I would be walking away from a 20 yr career working for the man to begin this new chapter. Very big decision.

Tazza

Staff member
4,000 hours is getting up there but there will be life left in it.
The engines generally last about 6,000 hours before getting a little lazy, so there is still some good service left in it yet.
Being a tracked machine, there are more wear items that you will need to look over.
Others have suggested taking it to the dealer to look it over before buyig it, besster to spend a little money now than a pile later if something is on the way out that you didn't know about.

OP
OP
C

cassieaaron

4,000 hours is getting up there but there will be life left in it.
The engines generally last about 6,000 hours before getting a little lazy, so there is still some good service left in it yet.
Being a tracked machine, there are more wear items that you will need to look over.
Others have suggested taking it to the dealer to look it over before buyig it, besster to spend a little money now than a pile later if something is on the way out that you didn't know about.
Thanks for the reply. i went and looked machine over closer. the machine itself was in ok shape but definitely showing it's age. But the guy did have ALL the maintenance records and it was well taken care of. But still hrs tick away no matter what. the attachments on the other hand were in awesome shape. Most looked barely used with paint still on places that wear quickly. i do appreciate the advise on the machine. i definitely have some negotiating to do.

OP
OP
C

cassieaaron

Thanks for the reply. i went and looked machine over closer. the machine itself was in ok shape but definitely showing it's age. But the guy did have ALL the maintenance records and it was well taken care of. But still hrs tick away no matter what. the attachments on the other hand were in awesome shape. Most looked barely used with paint still on places that wear quickly. i do appreciate the advise on the machine. i definitely have some negotiating to do.
My research shows machine worth about 25k to 30k. It enclosed cab with ac heat and protective door. Buy guy is valuing machine at around 40 am I way off?

Tazza

Staff member
My research shows machine worth about 25k to 30k. It enclosed cab with ac heat and protective door. Buy guy is valuing machine at around 40 am I way off?
I think your figures are about right, if he values the machine at 40k, he is way off the mark. Especially with those hours.
With the attachments, i assume he will have it wired to control them too, some are just hydraulic, but others are controlled with the switches on the handles. This kit does cost a little, but not 10-15k more.