Trailer...electric or surge brakes?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sawdust

I've been shopping trailers the last several days....I'm looking for something to use specifically as a skid loader trailer, because I already have a nice light single axle trailer that works great for lumber and materials. I've always been a big fan of surge brakes because 'whatever you hook it to, it's got brakes'. Evryone I've talked to about either new trailers...or custom-built to my specs....tells me I'm outta' my mind.
What I've been looking at is 12' to 14' bumper-pull stuff with tip-up ramps. I want 'light' and low.
This trailer is going to be used to transport a (tracked) 751 (I'm guessing a max of less than 6K w/attachment), and be pulled by a (VERY heavy duty but VERY loaded) E350SD extended van. Oil cooler, trans. cooler, tow pkg., yada-yada.
Give me advice...tear me up...tell me I'm nuts.
My wife tells me that all the time.

Jim

skidsteer.ca

751 4700lb
tracks 450 to 800 lbs
Bucke 400 lbs
puts you at 5550 to 5850 with no chains, binders, a 7k trailer is kinda on the light side
I'd be looking at a 10k tandem,
As for surge brakes, I'm a fan too, but they cost more up front, if you left the trailer sit too long the wheel cylinders could rust up, the hitch couplers tend to have some play in the linkage that you can feel on rough roads.
Plus
No brake controlers required, no matter how many tow vehicles., brake action more balanced, no wheel lock ups.
Regards
Ken

sar4937

751 4700lb
tracks 450 to 800 lbs
Bucke 400 lbs
puts you at 5550 to 5850 with no chains, binders, a 7k trailer is kinda on the light side
I'd be looking at a 10k tandem,
As for surge brakes, I'm a fan too, but they cost more up front, if you left the trailer sit too long the wheel cylinders could rust up, the hitch couplers tend to have some play in the linkage that you can feel on rough roads.
Plus
No brake controlers required, no matter how many tow vehicles., brake action more balanced, no wheel lock ups.
Regards
Ken
When I bought my skidsteer trailer I thought I wanted surge brakes. My salesman told me they were not legal in all states. Also, I was under the impression that the weight of the trailer also figured into the GVW equation. IMHO there is no substitute for a production built skidsteer trailer with solid anchor points to chain down attachments and of course the skidsteer. Torsion axles ride great. And while I did not initially get it with my trailer, if you intend to get pallet forks ever I would get the brackets to carry them off the side of the trailer.