Today my dealer made me laugh at him......

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Wirenut2266

So I posted a day or so ago about trying to get a replacement tank heater cord for my S185, up on water jacket near injectors. So replacement cord is $19, WOW. Before I commit to purchase I put my Fluke 87 electrical meter across leads of heater, crap, nothing, heater is burnt out. So now I call dealer ask if he has new heater, yup, $59 and if I install total around $400 !!!!! Come on are you serious? I pop out old tank heater 10 minutes, install new tank heater purchased from Napa 10 minutes, refill about a gallon and a half of antifreeze, done. Total time was less than 30 minutes, and you want $400???? I'm all about supporting my local business owners, but WOW. Napa part #11444 for $26 I understand they have overhead and expenses, but they too must understand most folks just aren't willing to chump up that kind of $$$ for a fairly basic repair. I own my own business also, I would rather charge a little less and stay busy compared to sticking it to the common folk once in awhile waiting for phone to ring. Just my two cents........ Bruce

1awert1

I think we have all been thru that sticker shock BS, from dealers.....and some ppl will pay it....Isn't BC owned by a Korea firm now????

donald73d

I think we have all been thru that sticker shock BS, from dealers.....and some ppl will pay it....Isn't BC owned by a Korea firm now????
Just curious, is this a heater in the coolant overflow tank you run (via plugging it into 110V) when its cold to assist in starting? I am surprised NAPA had one that would fit.

mrdeere1959

$42.22 list price at my dealer + 1hr @$70.00. it takes about an hr to drain off some coolant remove and clean opening, install replace coolant and pressure ck cooling system

OP
OP
Wirenut2266

Wirenut2266

$42.22 list price at my dealer + 1hr @$70.00. it takes about an hr to drain off some coolant remove and clean opening, install replace coolant and pressure ck cooling system
This is just a plain Jane 1 3/8" frost plug heater on side of water jacket next to injectors/glow plugs. Went to "Kats" website, found diesel engine model V2003, simple. I will agree by the time you refill coolant and run a few minutes to get air out and pressure test I'll agree to "maybe" a total of a hour. Still, $400+ is stickin it to you hard! "Kats" website is by far the biggest mfg. of commercial heating products, has tons of info for tractors, BC, commercial, etc..... Bruce

Fishfiles

This is just a plain Jane 1 3/8" frost plug heater on side of water jacket next to injectors/glow plugs. Went to "Kats" website, found diesel engine model V2003, simple. I will agree by the time you refill coolant and run a few minutes to get air out and pressure test I'll agree to "maybe" a total of a hour. Still, $400+ is stickin it to you hard! "Kats" website is by far the biggest mfg. of commercial heating products, has tons of info for tractors, BC, commercial, etc..... Bruce
Henry Ford , the founder of Ford Motor Company , said " I will give everyone in the United States a car for free as long as the have to bring the car to me for all parts and service " -----------he knew way back then that the money was in parts in service and not the sale of the vehicle -----------with that being said , you may have noticed that a lot of parts are OEM ( dealer only ) , sometimes it is just for a couple of years till an after market source picks it up , sometimes it stays OEM , but the point is that the manufactures try and make the machine where you have to get parts and bring it to them , as it requires special tools and software programs to work on them , it is coming more and more soon on new machines you will not be able to do much more than an oil change or change a battery

jerry

Henry Ford , the founder of Ford Motor Company , said " I will give everyone in the United States a car for free as long as the have to bring the car to me for all parts and service " -----------he knew way back then that the money was in parts in service and not the sale of the vehicle -----------with that being said , you may have noticed that a lot of parts are OEM ( dealer only ) , sometimes it is just for a couple of years till an after market source picks it up , sometimes it stays OEM , but the point is that the manufactures try and make the machine where you have to get parts and bring it to them , as it requires special tools and software programs to work on them , it is coming more and more soon on new machines you will not be able to do much more than an oil change or change a battery
I replaced the u joint in 632 Bobcat a few years ago and dealer quoted me 1000 for the job. I bought the parts from the dealer and did it at home, working as slowly as I did they still would have charged 200 per hour for labor. I did buy the parts from them because of grease zerk orientation and the price was not much higher than elsewhere.
If anyone is having a hard time greasing their u joint it may be that it was replaced with one from another source.

Jyuma

Fluke!... nice meter.
bTw... here's a good test to determine if dealers are charging too much for service. Open up a service center next to them and see if you can turn a profit by charging less than they charge. If the asnwer is no, then they aren't charging too much.
emotion-2.gif

Miker67

Fluke!... nice meter.
bTw... here's a good test to determine if dealers are charging too much for service. Open up a service center next to them and see if you can turn a profit by charging less than they charge. If the asnwer is no, then they aren't charging too much.
Alternators are an interesting one too. I decided to replace mine while my motor was down and the dealership quoted me right at $400.00 for one. I went to my local private diesel repair shop and got thiers for $125.00 and when I got home and opened the box, low and behold the alternator inside had the OEM bobcat sticker and bobcat part number.
I felt violated and I didn't even spend the money they were asking.