Tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Clone

OK when I first got my LX565 and it had bald tires. I priced out some tires and got some cheaper imported 10X16.5 tires that looked good on paper. 10 ply and weighed around 49 lbs a piece I believe. I didn't want to spend a ton because this just helps me get work done around my property but does not put food on the table. So I watch my spending on it. Now I got the tires on and used them some. My biggest beef.... they are narrow at the tread! They measure around 8-5/8" tread width. Not only do they look like pizza slicers but they won't provide much flotation if I have to get out when it's soft. So I am considering upgrading while these are still new. The thread is just the standard off road SKS or R4 style which suits me. Mine will probably never touch pavement. The Galaxy Beefy baby's list theirs at 9" wide at the thread which is better but by only 3/8". I wish I could find a tread width a full 10" wide. Any suggestions?

mmsllc

You could upgrade to a larger set of tires; i.e. 12"-16.5" That should provide a larger area & therefore floatation across softer ground. The only issue that I have seen is when using larger tires, they may contact the loader arms & prevent the bucket from being lowered completely to the ground. If you have more room, then a larger tire should be a great idea.

OP
OP
C

Clone

You could upgrade to a larger set of tires; i.e. 12"-16.5" That should provide a larger area & therefore floatation across softer ground. The only issue that I have seen is when using larger tires, they may contact the loader arms & prevent the bucket from being lowered completely to the ground. If you have more room, then a larger tire should be a great idea.
Considered this as there are some 12X16.5 tires and wheels on CL right now. The width would not be a problem other than they might be a little wider than the bucket which could make digging not work out the best? What about the offset of the wheel? It has been done before I'm sure and probably fits just fine.

farmshop

Considered this as there are some 12X16.5 tires and wheels on CL right now. The width would not be a problem other than they might be a little wider than the bucket which could make digging not work out the best? What about the offset of the wheel? It has been done before I'm sure and probably fits just fine.
I would go to the wider tires. The galaxy's are about the widest of the 10-16.5 tires. How much pressure do you run. The cheaper tires do balloons more than the galaxy.

OP
OP
C

Clone

I would go to the wider tires. The galaxy's are about the widest of the 10-16.5 tires. How much pressure do you run. The cheaper tires do balloons more than the galaxy.
Yes they do balloon. I am at 50 psi

OP
OP
C

Clone

Yes they do balloon. I am at 50 psi
Also these tires I see on CL are Junkyard boss tires in a 12-16.5 on wheels. They are in pretty decent shape. Will those be lousy in the dirt, mud and grass?

mmsllc

Also these tires I see on CL are Junkyard boss tires in a 12-16.5 on wheels. They are in pretty decent shape. Will those be lousy in the dirt, mud and grass?
"SOLIDEAL" makes pretty good tires. I bought (2) sets of 12 x 16.5 [(8) tires] off of EBAY for $1250. They worked great on our 863's. I liked them, they did balloon a bit, but the tires we took off were literally falling off the foam; they were foam-filled tires. Now putting them on is easiest with a tire machine. Pulling the old tires off (WITH FOAM INSIDE OF THE OLD TIRES) is close to impossible. It made for one hell of a job for the saw-zall!!! It took about an hour per tire. What a waste of time!!!