Tire Tread Direction

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bob Cat

I just had a tire replaced on my Bobcat 843. The Tech mounted the tire in the wrong direction as compared to the other three. Is this any big deal or can I just leave it as is? I just use it for basic farm use. No heavy construction or operation on pavement.

jerry

if it was done at the dealers, it should be redone right, after all thats what you paid for.

SkidRoe

It always amazes me that the service managers will let this go. Why is it up to the customer to hold the tech accountable for his work? What are we paying the exorbitant shop rates for? If they can't even mount a tire right, what else are they doing wrong? Sorry, this one hits a nerve with me.

Mikefromcny

It always amazes me that the service managers will let this go. Why is it up to the customer to hold the tech accountable for his work? What are we paying the exorbitant shop rates for? If they can't even mount a tire right, what else are they doing wrong? Sorry, this one hits a nerve with me.
Yeah this kinda amazes me too. Did you bring the whole machine or just drop off a rim with a tire on it? All the tires on my 873 were on backwards when I got it, it has severe duty 14 plys, not the standard tread design but I noticed after a few days and pulled the wheels off and switched them side to side. Really makes ya wonder what else they miss if tires get past them..

mahans7

Yeah this kinda amazes me too. Did you bring the whole machine or just drop off a rim with a tire on it? All the tires on my 873 were on backwards when I got it, it has severe duty 14 plys, not the standard tread design but I noticed after a few days and pulled the wheels off and switched them side to side. Really makes ya wonder what else they miss if tires get past them..
I didn't realize that there was directionality to the tire treads. How should they be directed?

Mikefromcny

I didn't realize that there was directionality to the tire treads. How should they be directed?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/bobcat-skidsteer-751-for-parts-or-repair-NOT-RUNNING-/321026825904?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item4abeb09eb0 Theres one with 3 backwards tires.

Langloim

http://www.ebay.com/itm/bobcat-skidsteer-751-for-parts-or-repair-NOT-RUNNING-/321026825904?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item4abeb09eb0 Theres one with 3 backwards tires.
on the side wall of the tire is the direction of travel. usual treads pointing forward.

mahans7

on the side wall of the tire is the direction of travel. usual treads pointing forward.
Thanks guys, now I see that the tire tread should actually point forward. So 1 of my tires is backward. What kind of problem would this cause?

SkidRoe

Thanks guys, now I see that the tire tread should actually point forward. So 1 of my tires is backward. What kind of problem would this cause?
The main problem would be uneven traction on loose surfaces. The tire pointing backwards may tend to slip before the rest, depending how warn your tires are.

jerry

The main problem would be uneven traction on loose surfaces. The tire pointing backwards may tend to slip before the rest, depending how warn your tires are.
The "v" shape of tread pointing forward on tractor drive tires is to help sticky dirt clean out of them rather than pack in tighter , I would guess skidsteer tires are similar.

mahans7

The "v" shape of tread pointing forward on tractor drive tires is to help sticky dirt clean out of them rather than pack in tighter , I would guess skidsteer tires are similar.
Thanks for the tire info. You guys are too much!

OP
OP
B

Bob Cat

I did just bring the tire and not the whole machine. Although he should have mounted it in the same direction, I can understand how it could have gotten turned around. I had no idea it was backwards myself until I got home and mounted it back on the Bobcat.

mahans7

I did just bring the tire and not the whole machine. Although he should have mounted it in the same direction, I can understand how it could have gotten turned around. I had no idea it was backwards myself until I got home and mounted it back on the Bobcat.
Well I guess you could look at it on the plus side and now it'll slide on grass more and won/t tear it up so much. But then again, mine with the one backward tire seems to tear up my lawn pretty good.

rumrunner

Well I guess you could look at it on the plus side and now it'll slide on grass more and won/t tear it up so much. But then again, mine with the one backward tire seems to tear up my lawn pretty good.
Other than esthetics I don't think it matter which way the tire is mounted. Think about it, you probably go backwards as much as you go forward. It is more important that the amount of tread on each side tire is similar. You don't want an old worn tire on the front and a new tire on the back or vice versa.

Tazza

Staff member
Other than esthetics I don't think it matter which way the tire is mounted. Think about it, you probably go backwards as much as you go forward. It is more important that the amount of tread on each side tire is similar. You don't want an old worn tire on the front and a new tire on the back or vice versa.
You make a good point, there are operators that mount one forward one backward on each side for this exact reason. The thing is, when you do your digging, you mostly push, so you need as much traction while pushing into your pile of dirt, not as much grip is needed to back up when loaded.
It would be interesting if someone setup a test to show how much torque you get with different mounted in different directions.

Zorack

You make a good point, there are operators that mount one forward one backward on each side for this exact reason. The thing is, when you do your digging, you mostly push, so you need as much traction while pushing into your pile of dirt, not as much grip is needed to back up when loaded.
It would be interesting if someone setup a test to show how much torque you get with different mounted in different directions.
That will be another thing I will be looking at the next time I go out and check out another bobcat....something I never think to look at,this is a good thread :)

Latest posts