T300 Bobtach Bushing removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mtautoken

I read a post that talked about welding something to the old bushing and using a slide hammer to remove it. I welded a piece of 1 1/2" pipe to the bushing the used another piece of 1 1/2" pipe as a drift to beat the bushing out, I even used a carbide bit to remove some of the metal that had smashed its way around the outside edge of the bushing housing, heated up the bushing housing, used a 8 lbs sledge hammer and this bushing has not even moved. I am forcing the bushing to the outside of the bobtach not against the stop on the inner side. Has anyone tried to very carefully cut some of the old bushing out with a cutting torch to relieve some pressure or would welding the heck out of the ID cause it to shrink enough to release some pressure? Thank you in advance for any help, I know its T-Day weekend. I have jobs lined up for Mon. and Tues. Ken

jerry

Can you tell how thick the bushing wall is? I have had some luck with a small torch on thin wall bushings. At this point try welding first to shrink it if the wall is thick enough so you don't melt through. Do you have the replacement bush to go by or are you making your own?

OP
OP
M

mtautoken

Can you tell how thick the bushing wall is? I have had some luck with a small torch on thin wall bushings. At this point try welding first to shrink it if the wall is thick enough so you don't melt through. Do you have the replacement bush to go by or are you making your own?
Yes I have the replacement bushing. I picked up a setup that uses a forcing screw to pull it out and I will try that today. Thanks

skidsteer.ca

Yes I have the replacement bushing. I picked up a setup that uses a forcing screw to pull it out and I will try that today. Thanks
I like to heat the old bushing forcing it to expand, then when it cools it will shrink away from the boss its in.
Ken

OP
OP
M

mtautoken

I like to heat the old bushing forcing it to expand, then when it cools it will shrink away from the boss its in.
Ken
I didn't see your reply until I finished the job, but thanks for the help. As that was exactly what I did to remove it, after heating it up with the cutting head it came right out with a force screw setup and the piece of pipe I welded onto the bushing. What a job. My tapered pins were wobbling and breaking bolts left & right. Then the Bobtach bushing boss broke out of the bobtach assembly. After ordering and showing up to pick up my parts at the dealer my parts guy told me that Bobcat makes or sales a reamer just for the tapered bushing bore in the loader arms. I couldn't wait though so I welded them up and freehanded it with an assortment of cone style stones for my angle grinder and die grinder. BTW if anyone does not know you can also buy the bushing boss/housing. lots of fun replacing it though. Two long days for me for my complete repair. I don't own all the tools and equipment I would like to so I'm sure someone well set up could easily beat that time. I hope my info can help someone else down the road. Ken