T250 Low on Power

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ironmule

I have a 2005 T250 with 2950 hrs. I dont run it full time just around home and a few side projects. Since purchasing the machine, I have noticed that the RPMs are around 2380 at full throttle with no load. When traveling they drop to around 1900. When traveling on a light incline, I have to back off the sticks to let the motor "catch up". I have operated several T250s and T300s and none seem to do this. I have checked the throttle linkage and all is ok. I purchased a manual and was curious about the pump timing but the manual doesnt go into detail about settings. I have done a complete service to the machine including flushing the hydraulic system and all new filters. Most all of the other machines I operated seemed not to lug down as easy as mine and ran in the 2500 rpm range and inclines didnt seem to affect it all that much. The machine seems to take a little longer to start that others hot or cold. I have put a new, not reman, starter on it and it did help alot but still takes a little longer to start than other machines like it. I have not changed the case drain filter yet but have changed everything else. Can you ajust the pump timing for a little more power? The motor seems to have minimal blowby and no smoke at idle or WOT. Also if idling for several minuted it sets a Low Charge Pressure code. What do you guys think?

Tazza

Staff member
Does it have a turbo? just wondering if it isn't spooling up and not giving you the power it should have?
It shouldn't bog down too much, they got the engine power output pretty well balanced for these machines.
You say it takes a little more to start, you mean just a little or do you mean long cranks with it spluttering?
It could be injectors too, or glow plugs for the harder starting.

OP
OP
I

Ironmule

Does it have a turbo? just wondering if it isn't spooling up and not giving you the power it should have?
It shouldn't bog down too much, they got the engine power output pretty well balanced for these machines.
You say it takes a little more to start, you mean just a little or do you mean long cranks with it spluttering?
It could be injectors too, or glow plugs for the harder starting.
It does have a turbo but im not sure how to check it for proper operation. When starting it, it usually fires up better hot. I am going to check the glow plugs, it doesnt sputter when trying to start, it just winds over longer than any other machine I have operated. I will pull the injectors and have them checked if it isnt a big project. I just know it runs at a much lower rpm than all the other machines like it. I dont want to do alot of work to the motor (turbo, injectors, injection pump) just to find the motor is tired and needs replaced. Thanks for the input..

Tazza

Staff member
It does have a turbo but im not sure how to check it for proper operation. When starting it, it usually fires up better hot. I am going to check the glow plugs, it doesnt sputter when trying to start, it just winds over longer than any other machine I have operated. I will pull the injectors and have them checked if it isnt a big project. I just know it runs at a much lower rpm than all the other machines like it. I dont want to do alot of work to the motor (turbo, injectors, injection pump) just to find the motor is tired and needs replaced. Thanks for the input..
I'd start with a compression test and checking the glow plugs. Compression should be 400+ psi, it will still run as low as 300, but it will be hard to start and you will know there is lower power.
Checking the turbo should just be to remove the inlet hose and feel if the compressor moves easily without any play