T-190 Drive motors

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

A+ Skidloader

I have had over a dozen Bobcats, have 3 now, but just recently bought my first tracked machine. I have ordered a service manual that is not here yet. 2005 T-190 gold pkg, 156 hrs, pristine, still smells new inside. Isn't there a small amt of oil to change in the drive motors? I seem to remember reading about it here a while back. Local Bobcat parts man says no, I must be thinking of planataries on excavators, but I am seasoned enough to trust my gut and investigate more. Once service manual arrives, I'll be enlightened some, but am I correct? If so, how often should I change this oil. I always change hyd and chaincase oil annually on my wheeled machines--never had any hyd or chaincase problems other than axle seals. I want to do the same"good" job of maintaining this tracked machine. By the way, this thing, if you can get used to the ride on hard/frozen surfaces, is AWESOME. Pushes like a dozer!

mllud

I believe your drive motors have your hydraulic system lubricating them. there may be a gear reduction box on the side that gets Gear lube Mike

Tazza

Staff member
I believe your drive motors have your hydraulic system lubricating them. there may be a gear reduction box on the side that gets Gear lube Mike
I remember that too, they need synthetic oil. Not too sure on the details though... Someone will pop their nose in that knows for sure.

Fishfiles

I remember that too, they need synthetic oil. Not too sure on the details though... Someone will pop their nose in that knows for sure.
I think you said you got a 2005 190 , if it don't have a allen headed plug on the end of the housing ( the round spot in the middle of the sprocket ) then your unit doesn't take the Moble synthetic 150 oil , the 200, 250 , 300, 320's all take it

JOK

The drives on the T-190 are lubricated by hydraulic oil. The hub assembly [the bit between the sprocket and the drive motor] does use a small amount of synthetic gear oil in it, if you have a model with drain and filler plugs. You have to remove the sprocket to check this. I have had to replace a couple of hub assemblies and all have had the plugs. [Dont know how long they may have been sitting around though]. The bearings and seals can be replaced without too much drama.

Fishfiles

The drives on the T-190 are lubricated by hydraulic oil. The hub assembly [the bit between the sprocket and the drive motor] does use a small amount of synthetic gear oil in it, if you have a model with drain and filler plugs. You have to remove the sprocket to check this. I have had to replace a couple of hub assemblies and all have had the plugs. [Dont know how long they may have been sitting around though]. The bearings and seals can be replaced without too much drama.
Here are some numbers I compiled during a recent job on a T190 travel motor which goes for $2,700, if you have the old style you need to up grade to the newer sprocket as your old one won't work with the new longer housing , the seals and bearings to do a rebuild are right at $1,000 , if the housing is bad which it usually is add another $1,400 for it and if you got old style add a sprocket as the old style housing is no longer available , add a hyd filter and a case drain filter kit , so if the housing is bad it is the same price to rebuild it or buy new , cost of job can be right at $4,000 per side worst case senario , if you catch it before it eats the housing you could get by for about $1,500 , moral of the story is , if you feel or hear anything in the drive motors , stop and have it checked out before you do some real damage

bobcat_ron

Here are some numbers I compiled during a recent job on a T190 travel motor which goes for $2,700, if you have the old style you need to up grade to the newer sprocket as your old one won't work with the new longer housing , the seals and bearings to do a rebuild are right at $1,000 , if the housing is bad which it usually is add another $1,400 for it and if you got old style add a sprocket as the old style housing is no longer available , add a hyd filter and a case drain filter kit , so if the housing is bad it is the same price to rebuild it or buy new , cost of job can be right at $4,000 per side worst case senario , if you catch it before it eats the housing you could get by for about $1,500 , moral of the story is , if you feel or hear anything in the drive motors , stop and have it checked out before you do some real damage
I had 2 samples of that oil taken between 250 hours, at 870 some hours, I killed the hub bearings and it almost took out the motor, warranty paid for it even though it had run out. Excessive traveling and pushing while in deep mud and not cleaning around the sprockets will kill the oil PDQ, you need to get under the machine with a long screw driver and water hose to properly clean out around that area. CAT/ASV has everyone beat with the open drive motor area, nothing gets packed around it!

Latest posts