T 133 smoking

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Wetz

Recently bought a t 133 and while running it I noticed smoke coming from the breather hose off the top of valve cover. It has a Kubota diesel v1903. Talked to one guy and he said possibly a blown head gasket. Others say it is probably blow by. The engine seems to have plenty of power and doesn't seem to be using any oil. Any ideas on what the problem might be. Thanks Denny

Tazza

Staff member
Put your finger over the breether hold it there then let it go. This will give you an idea on the amount of blow-by you have. I have to agree that it sounds like worn rings. If it starts and runs well and does not use oil or water don't be too worried. If the head gasket is gone you will be using water or getting bubbles in your radiator. My V1702 has a fair bit of blow-by, heaps of power but smokes and doesn't start as easily as i'd like. The rings didn't seat correctly. Its done no more than 200 hours. It uses a little oil, but not excessive amounts.

OP
OP
W

Wetz

Put your finger over the breether hold it there then let it go. This will give you an idea on the amount of blow-by you have. I have to agree that it sounds like worn rings. If it starts and runs well and does not use oil or water don't be too worried. If the head gasket is gone you will be using water or getting bubbles in your radiator. My V1702 has a fair bit of blow-by, heaps of power but smokes and doesn't start as easily as i'd like. The rings didn't seat correctly. Its done no more than 200 hours. It uses a little oil, but not excessive amounts.
It starts OK but runs a little rough until it warms up a little. The hour meter shows a little less than 700 hours and it is working. I don't think that is a lot of hours that is why I was hoping it might be something else. Thanks for the help Denny

Tazza

Staff member
It starts OK but runs a little rough until it warms up a little. The hour meter shows a little less than 700 hours and it is working. I don't think that is a lot of hours that is why I was hoping it might be something else. Thanks for the help Denny
If it runs rough I'd start by pulling the injectors. Look at the tip and if there is a heap of black sludge you know you have a problem there. It should be black but no carbon build up. I hope its that simple! as its a cheap n hassle repair. It may even pay to get them all tested and repaired, don't just do one if you find a faulty one.
If its simply an injector get it fixed ASAP, if you leave it drip it will burn a hole in the piston over time.

skidsteer.ca

If it runs rough I'd start by pulling the injectors. Look at the tip and if there is a heap of black sludge you know you have a problem there. It should be black but no carbon build up. I hope its that simple! as its a cheap n hassle repair. It may even pay to get them all tested and repaired, don't just do one if you find a faulty one.
If its simply an injector get it fixed ASAP, if you leave it drip it will burn a hole in the piston over time.
A little air coming out of this hose is normal, the rings will always have a bit of air leaking by.
If you block it gently with a finger it should take 5 or 7 seconds or so before the pressure blows you finger off. (go careful with with as blocking it too hard can blow out engine seals)
How long does it run rough for, 20 seconds, a minute 5 minutes? Diesels often run rough at first. Does it smoke after 3, 4 or 5 minutes, or at a low idle when warm? This is often a good indication of your injector condition.
Ken