Sure fire way to remove frozen rusted pins

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jberndt

So I bought this 943 and the bucket pins were rusted in so bad you couldn't tell they were pins. I used PB blaster and a BIG hammer for over a week. Pins would not move. I beat on the pins so much that they mushroomed on top. I was at the end of my rope and was ready to take the quick tach down to the shop that pressed out bulldozer track pins. But then I noticed my demolition hammer sitting in the corner. My demolition hammer looks like a small jackhammer. I used the jackhammer and was able to remove both pins in under 20 minutes. These are the 1 1/2 inch pins. Works like magic!

Tazza

Staff member
Interesting...... When mine were stuck, i ended up gitting them out with the oxy torch, creating a LOT of work for me down the track, oh well. I tried using an air hammer, never thought of something like a jack hammer, it makes sense, it has the extra weight and more force.
I'll keep that in mind for next time i have something that refuses to budge!

Fishfiles

That does work , I use to have a 20 lb air chipping hammer that the flood destroyed , still got the bits that I had fabed and modified for different jobs , a blunt shank bit worked on pins , I had welded a round plate to one bit and had some plates of different diameters and had used them to drive out bushing and bearing races and frozen pins on dozer blades and cylinders ------------------ I wish I had it this morning as I am going to try and get out a frozen pin on the dozer blade cylinder of a Kubota excavator that needs resealing , I tried the other day with heat , 16 lb mall , a hundred hits and penetrating oil and never budged it , I got the new pin in yesterday and the plan is to cut the pin into the bore as far as I can from both sides and then drive it out ------------- I know where I can borrow one for the day and think I will try it out

Wirenut2266

That does work , I use to have a 20 lb air chipping hammer that the flood destroyed , still got the bits that I had fabed and modified for different jobs , a blunt shank bit worked on pins , I had welded a round plate to one bit and had some plates of different diameters and had used them to drive out bushing and bearing races and frozen pins on dozer blades and cylinders ------------------ I wish I had it this morning as I am going to try and get out a frozen pin on the dozer blade cylinder of a Kubota excavator that needs resealing , I tried the other day with heat , 16 lb mall , a hundred hits and penetrating oil and never budged it , I got the new pin in yesterday and the plan is to cut the pin into the bore as far as I can from both sides and then drive it out ------------- I know where I can borrow one for the day and think I will try it out
Now that my friend is a good idea. I would like to say I will try it next time, but I know i will forget about it!! Bruce

ZackaryMac

Now that my friend is a good idea. I would like to say I will try it next time, but I know i will forget about it!! Bruce
When I tried to remove the pins on my Case 1818 version of a quick attach, I found out just how hard pins can rust into place. I sprayed them with penetrating fluid (to death), beat on them, used an air chisel with a pushing pin, used a torch for heat, beat some more, added a generous supply of cursing, till finally I used a bottle jack, and heat to remove them. After spending another hour of pounding and heat to straighten the quick attach and bucket back into shape, I can now remove the pins without a hammer. I think the next option was a handful of C4...

Tazza

Staff member
When I tried to remove the pins on my Case 1818 version of a quick attach, I found out just how hard pins can rust into place. I sprayed them with penetrating fluid (to death), beat on them, used an air chisel with a pushing pin, used a torch for heat, beat some more, added a generous supply of cursing, till finally I used a bottle jack, and heat to remove them. After spending another hour of pounding and heat to straighten the quick attach and bucket back into shape, I can now remove the pins without a hammer. I think the next option was a handful of C4...
I had a nice giggle at the end, sounded like Mythbusters, if in doubt, C4.

lesgawlik

I had a nice giggle at the end, sounded like Mythbusters, if in doubt, C4.
I had trouble with my pins, too. I am not a cult-follower of Fluid Film, but I have used it, among other things, to lubricate the pins. It used to take us about an hour to do an attachment change, but the last time it was under a minute. The handles pulled the pins right out.

Fishfiles

I had trouble with my pins, too. I am not a cult-follower of Fluid Film, but I have used it, among other things, to lubricate the pins. It used to take us about an hour to do an attachment change, but the last time it was under a minute. The handles pulled the pins right out.
Got side tracked on my frozen pin yesterday maybe I'll get to it today .............................Here is a cool hammer /driver story , I was always a mechanic but one company I worked for used me alot as an operator when things were slow with repairs , the company specialized in doing what every you could think up and would try anything as long as you were willing to pay , I can tell you some wierd stuff to do with equipment , we were working with a land scape company who was moving gigantic historical oak tree from the old Pontchartrain Beach site that was going to demo for new construction , they came up with a plan of digging a trench around the tree about 10 ft from the tree base , 6ft wide and about 8ft deep ,this was tuff digging and guys had to jump in the hole and cut huge roots with chain saws as we went along , they set a line boring machine into the trench and tried to bore holes under the tree to slide pipes in so that they could rig up and lift the tree out the hole with a crane , the roots were killing them , we came up with an idea to quicken the procedure and it work really well ................ we fabed a adaptor the slide over a hydraulic breakers bit and the pipe they wanted to slide under the tree fit into the adaptor , we had a trench dug for the pipe to lay flat on the ground at the level to drive it , we flip the hammer around on the dipper/arm so that it pointed away from the machine , they grinded the tip of the pipe to a beveled edge so it would cut as it went , it easily pounded the pipe thru the soil and roots , they wrapped the mud and roots with burlap sacks and wire to keep the dirt from falling off , we put 4 pipes under each tree , been a long time but seems 3inch heavy wall pipe is what was used , they trimmed a lot of the excess limbs off the trees , brought in a 100 ton truck crane and picked the trees out of the ground and loaded them on a truck , we did about 20 of them , we had another hoe digging the holes for the trees new home , I watched it took a few years for all the limbs to come back out on the trees , that was at least 25 years ago and the trees are still there and you can't tell they were relocated , it was pretty expensive for each tree but how can you put a price tag on a tree that is least 100 plus years old

Tazza

Staff member
Got side tracked on my frozen pin yesterday maybe I'll get to it today .............................Here is a cool hammer /driver story , I was always a mechanic but one company I worked for used me alot as an operator when things were slow with repairs , the company specialized in doing what every you could think up and would try anything as long as you were willing to pay , I can tell you some wierd stuff to do with equipment , we were working with a land scape company who was moving gigantic historical oak tree from the old Pontchartrain Beach site that was going to demo for new construction , they came up with a plan of digging a trench around the tree about 10 ft from the tree base , 6ft wide and about 8ft deep ,this was tuff digging and guys had to jump in the hole and cut huge roots with chain saws as we went along , they set a line boring machine into the trench and tried to bore holes under the tree to slide pipes in so that they could rig up and lift the tree out the hole with a crane , the roots were killing them , we came up with an idea to quicken the procedure and it work really well ................ we fabed a adaptor the slide over a hydraulic breakers bit and the pipe they wanted to slide under the tree fit into the adaptor , we had a trench dug for the pipe to lay flat on the ground at the level to drive it , we flip the hammer around on the dipper/arm so that it pointed away from the machine , they grinded the tip of the pipe to a beveled edge so it would cut as it went , it easily pounded the pipe thru the soil and roots , they wrapped the mud and roots with burlap sacks and wire to keep the dirt from falling off , we put 4 pipes under each tree , been a long time but seems 3inch heavy wall pipe is what was used , they trimmed a lot of the excess limbs off the trees , brought in a 100 ton truck crane and picked the trees out of the ground and loaded them on a truck , we did about 20 of them , we had another hoe digging the holes for the trees new home , I watched it took a few years for all the limbs to come back out on the trees , that was at least 25 years ago and the trees are still there and you can't tell they were relocated , it was pretty expensive for each tree but how can you put a price tag on a tree that is least 100 plus years old
Wow, impressive story. Its amazing what can be done if you just spend the time to do a job.
I have even heard of people putting fence posts in with a rock hammer with an adaptor to bash them in. Never under estimate the power of a hammer, be it air, electric or hydraulically driven :)

Fishfiles

Wow, impressive story. Its amazing what can be done if you just spend the time to do a job.
I have even heard of people putting fence posts in with a rock hammer with an adaptor to bash them in. Never under estimate the power of a hammer, be it air, electric or hydraulically driven :)
Ya know Tazza you mentioned air , I started as a heavy equipment apprentice in 1976 , and we didn't have hydraulic breakers when I started , it was air power concrete breakers mounted on excavators , I seem to think KHB 400 was one model , they were driven by wheeled air compressors and we had like 200 ft of air hose lying all over the ground , sometimes the operator had a guy on the ground we called a swomper , he would be sure the air line was clear or the machine and obsticals on the gorund like rebar sticking up and sharp edges of broke concrete , sometimes the operator had to swomp for himself , I fixed many of air hoses back then ................. we had a air hammer mounted to a forklift and had a big weight on top off it , we used it to put pilings in for elevator shafts and in exisiting under ground parking garages , would hammer in 6, 8 ,10 ft of sttel pipe and weld another section to it and slam it down again til it wouldn't more any more , the ground here is really soft and there are sand layers down below , sometimes 10 , 20 , 30 or more feet deep depending on location , you should see the equipment they are using today to do the same jobs ..........................a couple of weeks ago I was on a cool job , they are redoing a section of the convention center and turning it into a party /dance hall for the Super Bowl next year that is going to be here , they removing support colums of a 60 ft high celling and had concrete footing that the colums set on that were about 8 ft thick and 20 ft by 20 foot sqaure , there were steel pipe pilings that were inside the footing with a lot of rebar , they didn't want to use a hydraulic breaker as they didn't want to damage the piling ends as they were going to be repoured into the new concrete slab , so they drilled the footing and put expanding putty in the holes and let it set over the weekend , thier drill pattern for the holes was right on as it broke and cracked the footing into slabs about 1.5 ft thick , 2 ft wide and 8 foot long , looked like the Egyptians querried them , I watched the operator of the Volvo excavator with a thumb for the bucket as he picked each slice out the hole effortlessly , like you pulling a chunk of cheese from a party tray , no small chunks to clean up and the pipes were clean as can be , don't know what the core drilling and putty cost , but would bet it wasn't cheap , they did save a lot of labor cleaning out the hole

Tazza

Staff member
Ya know Tazza you mentioned air , I started as a heavy equipment apprentice in 1976 , and we didn't have hydraulic breakers when I started , it was air power concrete breakers mounted on excavators , I seem to think KHB 400 was one model , they were driven by wheeled air compressors and we had like 200 ft of air hose lying all over the ground , sometimes the operator had a guy on the ground we called a swomper , he would be sure the air line was clear or the machine and obsticals on the gorund like rebar sticking up and sharp edges of broke concrete , sometimes the operator had to swomp for himself , I fixed many of air hoses back then ................. we had a air hammer mounted to a forklift and had a big weight on top off it , we used it to put pilings in for elevator shafts and in exisiting under ground parking garages , would hammer in 6, 8 ,10 ft of sttel pipe and weld another section to it and slam it down again til it wouldn't more any more , the ground here is really soft and there are sand layers down below , sometimes 10 , 20 , 30 or more feet deep depending on location , you should see the equipment they are using today to do the same jobs ..........................a couple of weeks ago I was on a cool job , they are redoing a section of the convention center and turning it into a party /dance hall for the Super Bowl next year that is going to be here , they removing support colums of a 60 ft high celling and had concrete footing that the colums set on that were about 8 ft thick and 20 ft by 20 foot sqaure , there were steel pipe pilings that were inside the footing with a lot of rebar , they didn't want to use a hydraulic breaker as they didn't want to damage the piling ends as they were going to be repoured into the new concrete slab , so they drilled the footing and put expanding putty in the holes and let it set over the weekend , thier drill pattern for the holes was right on as it broke and cracked the footing into slabs about 1.5 ft thick , 2 ft wide and 8 foot long , looked like the Egyptians querried them , I watched the operator of the Volvo excavator with a thumb for the bucket as he picked each slice out the hole effortlessly , like you pulling a chunk of cheese from a party tray , no small chunks to clean up and the pipes were clean as can be , don't know what the core drilling and putty cost , but would bet it wasn't cheap , they did save a lot of labor cleaning out the hole
Its things like this you never realise. I never knew they had air operated hammers, i just figured they were always hydraulic. The scale of things they can do now is just insane. Even many years ago they could do it too. Someone still had to think about how to do it, then the operator needs to be accurate enough to get it right too.
They are good at working out easier and cheaper ways of doing a job, mostly it works out as planned, but not always.