Best way to remove stickers.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

SlowDave

What is the best way to remove the graphics on a Bobcat? Getting ready to do some painting.

Thanks

Dave

mrbb

I would try using a heat gun, and then some adhesive remover afterwards to get rid of any sticky residue!

that or, if you want the decals, just tape them up with acre and paint around them, as new decals are not cheap to replace!
done right you will never notice things!

that is if decals are in good condition that is!

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

Thanks. I was thinking of using a heat gun but in the past I have had trouble with the residue. I guess I will try acetone unless someone has a better idea. The existing stickers are cracked from years in the Arizona heat.

aroma

To remove adhesive residue and stickers Ive had the best luck using a razor blade to scrape with the acetone. Be sure to first surface the razor blade by running it in circular motions on a very flat piece of metal while keeping it below a 45 degree angle. When you use it make sure the same side of the blade is facing up so the cutting edge will not bite into the paint.

pwhite42

We use Goo Gone to remove stickers and residue on electronics. If acetone gets on any plastic, it can discolor it.

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

Thank you. The worst of the paint is the engine access cover. Paint with red pigment doesn't last in the desert. I just took a flap disc to the whole cover and then scrupped it with acetone and primed it. The white parts still look pretty good so I probably won't repaint them. I have a decal kit on the way so I have to experiment gently removing the sticks from the white area. I had a lot of residue on the engine access cover.

mrbb

to get rid of the glue residue left behind, I would start with something simple, that won'rt damage your paint
try WD -40, it works at removing residue and most folks already have it, after that GOO BE GONE< is another good one

from there and again before going to a harsh chemical
I;'d try this buying some of stuff, I hear it works wonders on decal residue and it will NOT harm the paint and doesn't smell harsh!

North Woods Natures Blend II
or
3M called Industrial Citrus cleaner
which are both good and not harmful to your paint!

after that I'd go to 3M adhesive remover , its pretty powerful stuff! it CAN DAMAGE paint so use care,

if this doesn;'t work, then I would suggest acetone or like chemicals, which again can remove the paint as well as adhesive, but it would be a more last resort to me!
but I doubt you;d need to go this far, if you use the things I listed first!

Last edited:

Mustang Guy

Harbor Freight used to sell a heated razor blade holder (think soldering iron with a razor blade tip). It works great for vinyl decals and adhesives.

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

Thank you, thank you thank you. Many great ideas. I had never heard if decal remover or heated razor blade holders. You guys are great.

koko

As some of the above posts state "it won't damage your paint"???? You are repainting it so what does it matter? A re-paint is best over the bare base metal.....sandblast the unit & get after it!

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

I am repainting the orange and black. The white seems to have held up well except the normal scratches and dings.

Latest posts