Stupid things people do

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fishfiles

Hows about some stories of stupid things people do with machinery , I am sure you'll have some good ones --------------Today , I went to a job where a JCB extended boom loader was suppose to have a starting problem as I was told , after hearing the starter just click and not move the engine at all , I loaded tested the battery and checked connections and cables , removed the starter and spin it on the ground with jumper cables and it was fine , took a pry bar and tried to rotate the engine by the flywheel teeth thru the starter hole and it was locked up , I checked the oil and it was as clean as out the jug , then noticed a brand new oil filter , after talking to the operator I found out that they had hit something and put ahole in the oil filter , they went to NAPA and got a new filter and returned and put it on and went back to work , 10 minutes later it shut down and wouldn't start , they then checked the oil which was off the stick , went back to napa and got oil , returned and added 10 quarts to the Perkins engine to get it to the full mark , needless to say I think they totaled their engine , every bearing must be fried as you can't turn it over --------upon talking to the owner I found out that 2 months ago he had to pay $15,000 for a brand new in the crate motor and labor to install it from a local dealer after the air filter hose was knocked off and the engine got dusted , this new motor had 146 hours on it , what a shame

Tazza

Staff member
Its scary just how many operators don't give a f*** about their machines. Especially the ones that don't own their own machine, be it leased or if they just operate it for the owner. Service is neglected and only performed when there is a problem. I know a guy that owns a scrap yard and his old 763 was only ever serviced when something broke, same with all his fork lifts. If you spend a little time and money you can save thousands down the track.
A story like that really is a shame, good gear wasted! just because they didn't think ooh the oil filter has a hole, just throw a new one on and run it. Any sane person would check the oil level after you change a filter as it has to be filled with oil.
I'm glad to say i have never done anything so silly and hope i never do!
I have heard a story of someone with a 743 that ran out of fuel and the workers that used it just filled the tank but didn't bleed the system instead they started it by feeding it aerostart till the system primed. I'm still not sure how it did it but it did work. After than the engine smoked like mad so the owner put in a new engine, which smoked too. It turned out the engine start caked in the dirt on the filter that set like concrete! the engine couldn't breathe. Another reason why if you replace and engine, you at least check the air filter!!! if you don't change it.
The stupid things people do.

bobcat_ron

Its scary just how many operators don't give a f*** about their machines. Especially the ones that don't own their own machine, be it leased or if they just operate it for the owner. Service is neglected and only performed when there is a problem. I know a guy that owns a scrap yard and his old 763 was only ever serviced when something broke, same with all his fork lifts. If you spend a little time and money you can save thousands down the track.
A story like that really is a shame, good gear wasted! just because they didn't think ooh the oil filter has a hole, just throw a new one on and run it. Any sane person would check the oil level after you change a filter as it has to be filled with oil.
I'm glad to say i have never done anything so silly and hope i never do!
I have heard a story of someone with a 743 that ran out of fuel and the workers that used it just filled the tank but didn't bleed the system instead they started it by feeding it aerostart till the system primed. I'm still not sure how it did it but it did work. After than the engine smoked like mad so the owner put in a new engine, which smoked too. It turned out the engine start caked in the dirt on the filter that set like concrete! the engine couldn't breathe. Another reason why if you replace and engine, you at least check the air filter!!! if you don't change it.
The stupid things people do.
There's a link to a YouTube vid a a seriously stooooopid Bobcat operator wtth the front of the cab on the ground, WOT, and the engine is loosing oil pressure.
Look for it on LawnSite-Heavy Equipment-"Abused" thread.

Latest posts