sprocket wear

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rwirtzfeld

I pulled the side covers off my M500 to look at the condition of everything before I repower it. Anyway, all the sprockets show some wear, (as I would expect, machine is old, probably seen alot of use in its past). So my question is, when do you say the sprockets need replaced? Some have some pretty pointed sharp teeth, but hard to say if they would go longer. On the bright side, the fluid was clean and the chain compartments were also pretty clean. On motorcycles they recommend changing both sprockets at the same time, as well as the chain, so they are "matched", that would be expensive on these skidsteers since there are so many sprockets? Anything else to look at while I have them open?

jerry

As long as it's open drag a magnet along the bottom inside the chain case. There are roller type thrust bearings on the clutches and if you find small rollers in the bottom I would take the clutches off and check the bearings. Also people have found wrenchs and assorted things in there.

OP
OP
R

rwirtzfeld

As long as it's open drag a magnet along the bottom inside the chain case. There are roller type thrust bearings on the clutches and if you find small rollers in the bottom I would take the clutches off and check the bearings. Also people have found wrenchs and assorted things in there.
So far the only thing I found was some parts of a master chain link. All the chains are in place, so someone must of dropped the parts when doing a repair. I think I will replace a couple of worn sprockets, still need to check and see if the chains have any stiff spots also. Thanks, Randy