Source for new glow plugs for 751C with Peugeot engine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobbie-g

OK, gang, this will probably further provoke Bobcat, Inc. (should I refer to my Bobcat as a Robertfeline?). The local Bobcat dealer wants $36 each for new glow plugs for my 751. After doing some extensive research on-line, I found several sources listing plugs for the Peugeot engine, mostly in Europe. But more importantly, I found a Bosch part number in my cheater-book (having discovered that the engine in my Bobcat is the Peugeot XUD9 engine, I ordered a Peugeot 306 Haynes manual, as the 306 sedan also has the XUD9 engine). Having the Bosch part number in hand, I called Bosch USA and found a current Bosch stock number. Bosch USA further told me that Autozone carries such parts. One more phone call located a whole box of them about a mile from my house, at $8.99 each. Haven't installed them yet, but it looks like the problem is solved at 1/4 the Bobcat price. For the 751C owner, the Bosch part number is 0 250 201 039 and the Bosch stock number is 80006 (the latter is what Autozone recognizes). For the Mercedes 240D owner, same plug works in it. I did not go with the Autolite equivalent (1102), as the physical appearance is quite different. The nice Bosch techie told me Peugeot used this plug in many of their engines. Also offered that the plugs are designed to reach max temperature in 4 seconds, and can be powered up continuously for 3 minutes without damage. I believe my Bobcat's ready light indicates "OK to crank now" after about 6 seconds, and the "keep the power to the plugs" relay drops power at about 12 to 15 seconds. --- I'll report back in about 10 days on whether the new plugs solve my reluctant start problem. ---Bob

OP
OP
bobbie-g

bobbie-g

After action report on installation of new glow plugs: after about 5 cold starts on cool mornings (45 degrees F), it appears the new plugs have reduced the cold start smoking to almost nothing. It still may be that going through two glow plug cycles before cranking is best, but I'll have to try that several times more both ways to be sure. At any rate, the plugs (most likely the originals) I removed were Bosch 0 250 209 019 and the ones I installed were same number but ending in 039. The Bosch US techie indicated the latter was listed as a replacement for the first number. When I tested the old ones, they seemed to all glow quickly and properly. I did not test a new one before install, but they seem to markedly reduce the exhaust smoke during cold start. Tnx to others who posted re the virtues of new glow plugs. Installation note: Use a 12mm deep socket to access each of the four plugs. One injector line must be removed to access one of the glow plugs, but that's a simple process. I did not bleed the injector afterward, just reinstalled the line, and she cranked right up. ---Bob

Tazza

Staff member
After action report on installation of new glow plugs: after about 5 cold starts on cool mornings (45 degrees F), it appears the new plugs have reduced the cold start smoking to almost nothing. It still may be that going through two glow plug cycles before cranking is best, but I'll have to try that several times more both ways to be sure. At any rate, the plugs (most likely the originals) I removed were Bosch 0 250 209 019 and the ones I installed were same number but ending in 039. The Bosch US techie indicated the latter was listed as a replacement for the first number. When I tested the old ones, they seemed to all glow quickly and properly. I did not test a new one before install, but they seem to markedly reduce the exhaust smoke during cold start. Tnx to others who posted re the virtues of new glow plugs. Installation note: Use a 12mm deep socket to access each of the four plugs. One injector line must be removed to access one of the glow plugs, but that's a simple process. I did not bleed the injector afterward, just reinstalled the line, and she cranked right up. ---Bob
My 743 blew quite a bit of black smoke at startup when i had crook plugs, it took alot of work to get it to start and run. With new plugs, glowed long enough blew almost no smoke at startup. It was over fueling and took a few seconds to burn off the excess fuel. I really should look for a glow plug cycling circuit to attach to mine, it takes a good 30-60 second glow to give me instant start. Too short and it starts then conks out.....
I don't dare do a compression test, i don't want bad news.....

OP
OP
bobbie-g

bobbie-g

My 743 blew quite a bit of black smoke at startup when i had crook plugs, it took alot of work to get it to start and run. With new plugs, glowed long enough blew almost no smoke at startup. It was over fueling and took a few seconds to burn off the excess fuel. I really should look for a glow plug cycling circuit to attach to mine, it takes a good 30-60 second glow to give me instant start. Too short and it starts then conks out.....
I don't dare do a compression test, i don't want bad news.....
Tazza, must be your glowplugs don't heat as fast as mine. And, if you don't have a "keep the plugs on for a while" circuit, I can see how it may start initially when the plugs are hot, then quit as they cool off before the cylinders come up to some minimum temperature. Just a pushbutton routing 12v directly to the glowplug lines should do it for the minimal approach (assuming your plugs run from 12v). That way you can hold the button down and keep your plugs hot until it's running OK without them. I have a buddy with a 743 which starts fine (I know, you're not interested in hearing that!), I could check his machine to see what the general glowplug timing is. Let me know. --- I'm afraid to do a compression test on mine, too. Someone has written a number above each cylinder: 460 460 450 420. That seems like a reasonable set of compression numbers to me, but I have no idea of when it was done or what an acceptable range would be. --- Thanks for all your comments on this forum. It's obvious you know your Bobcats. And I recently picked up a 4-in-1 bucket, based on your recommendation. I really like it! Tnx, ---Bob

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, must be your glowplugs don't heat as fast as mine. And, if you don't have a "keep the plugs on for a while" circuit, I can see how it may start initially when the plugs are hot, then quit as they cool off before the cylinders come up to some minimum temperature. Just a pushbutton routing 12v directly to the glowplug lines should do it for the minimal approach (assuming your plugs run from 12v). That way you can hold the button down and keep your plugs hot until it's running OK without them. I have a buddy with a 743 which starts fine (I know, you're not interested in hearing that!), I could check his machine to see what the general glowplug timing is. Let me know. --- I'm afraid to do a compression test on mine, too. Someone has written a number above each cylinder: 460 460 450 420. That seems like a reasonable set of compression numbers to me, but I have no idea of when it was done or what an acceptable range would be. --- Thanks for all your comments on this forum. It's obvious you know your Bobcats. And I recently picked up a 4-in-1 bucket, based on your recommendation. I really like it! Tnx, ---Bob
I'm glad you like your 4 in 1 bucket, i would me lost without mine.
Those compression readings you gave are really quite good, so i was told, a new engine should give 450-500 PSI, so yours is still in very good condition. I can't remember the acceptable vairation from cylinder to cylinder unfortumatly. You can live with compression down to about 350, but this is where it starts to get really hard to start.
As for a glowing button, i was going to setup a timing circuit and set it to 30 - 60 seconds but i don't want to burn the plugs out from running them too long. I know it is safe to run the engine with them still glowing, but only for a short time. It is a second hand engine so the compression won't be really great. I have found that an engine i re-conditioned also need a fair bit of glowing to start. So people tell me, it takes time for the compression to build up as the engine wears in, i really hope this is true. I have only run it for maybee a total of 3-4 minutes.
As for knowing my bobcats... i don't know that much, but i am learning more and more with fiddling with the ones i have. Hopefully over x-mas i will strip 1 of my 743's down to paint and finish fixing.

OP
OP
bobbie-g

bobbie-g

I'm glad you like your 4 in 1 bucket, i would me lost without mine.
Those compression readings you gave are really quite good, so i was told, a new engine should give 450-500 PSI, so yours is still in very good condition. I can't remember the acceptable vairation from cylinder to cylinder unfortumatly. You can live with compression down to about 350, but this is where it starts to get really hard to start.
As for a glowing button, i was going to setup a timing circuit and set it to 30 - 60 seconds but i don't want to burn the plugs out from running them too long. I know it is safe to run the engine with them still glowing, but only for a short time. It is a second hand engine so the compression won't be really great. I have found that an engine i re-conditioned also need a fair bit of glowing to start. So people tell me, it takes time for the compression to build up as the engine wears in, i really hope this is true. I have only run it for maybee a total of 3-4 minutes.
As for knowing my bobcats... i don't know that much, but i am learning more and more with fiddling with the ones i have. Hopefully over x-mas i will strip 1 of my 743's down to paint and finish fixing.
I have no info on how long the glowplugs should be on, as far as the engine health goes. But the Bosch techie told me my plugs would reach max heat in 4 seconds, but could be powered up for 3 minutes without harming the plugs. As I mentioned before, the relay in my 751 seems to keep the plugs on for about 15 seconds after the "OK to start" indication. --- Aren't you in Australia? Knew a guy named Tony from down under, when I was in a land far away in a time long ago. Still have a boonie hat he swapped me for something, and a boomerang over the kitchen closet door about 10 feet from here. ---Bob

Tazza

Staff member
I have no info on how long the glowplugs should be on, as far as the engine health goes. But the Bosch techie told me my plugs would reach max heat in 4 seconds, but could be powered up for 3 minutes without harming the plugs. As I mentioned before, the relay in my 751 seems to keep the plugs on for about 15 seconds after the "OK to start" indication. --- Aren't you in Australia? Knew a guy named Tony from down under, when I was in a land far away in a time long ago. Still have a boonie hat he swapped me for something, and a boomerang over the kitchen closet door about 10 feet from here. ---Bob
Nice, yeah i am in Australia the land of "CRIKEY" (the crocodile hunter), the same state as him too.
My plugs don't seem to heat that fast, but i was using older plugs from another engine.
I will test the new ones to see if the old ones are indeed no good, i may have to buy 4 more to throw in it, they were only 40 bux for a set of 4.

OP
OP
bobbie-g

bobbie-g

Nice, yeah i am in Australia the land of "CRIKEY" (the crocodile hunter), the same state as him too.
My plugs don't seem to heat that fast, but i was using older plugs from another engine.
I will test the new ones to see if the old ones are indeed no good, i may have to buy 4 more to throw in it, they were only 40 bux for a set of 4.
My old plugs seemed to heat up quickly when I tested them individually on a battery (watch them turn red), but I got noticeable better starting performance with the new plugs.

Tazza

Staff member
My old plugs seemed to heat up quickly when I tested them individually on a battery (watch them turn red), but I got noticeable better starting performance with the new plugs.
Ok, new plugs are in, it now starts in about 1/2 the time it did. These ones start glowing much faster than the old ones, you see it start glowing from the tip which is what i am told they are meant to do, the old ones just glowed evenly all over. I think the ones i got were 10.9v i wonder if i can get lower voltage ones that will glow even quicker, but most likley they will burn out faster. These ones take a good 10 seconds to start glowing, you said yours reach full temp in 4 seconds, do you know what voltage they are?

OP
OP
bobbie-g

bobbie-g

Ok, new plugs are in, it now starts in about 1/2 the time it did. These ones start glowing much faster than the old ones, you see it start glowing from the tip which is what i am told they are meant to do, the old ones just glowed evenly all over. I think the ones i got were 10.9v i wonder if i can get lower voltage ones that will glow even quicker, but most likley they will burn out faster. These ones take a good 10 seconds to start glowing, you said yours reach full temp in 4 seconds, do you know what voltage they are?
Taz, sorry, I didn't see your question. I don't know what the voltage rating of my plugs are. I assumed 12v. Bosch US has a nice info line, I've gotten calls back from a good techie in about an hour after I left the question with the nice phone-answering gal. I just didn't ask about the voltage. The techie "said" they would reach full temp in 4 seconds, I think I only tried one and that seemed about right. Don't remember where the glowing started (tip or otherwise). I think you're dealing with a 743, probably Kubota engine. Bosch Customer Service: 888-715-3616 here in the U.S. Didn't find a phone number for Australia at http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/index.asp If you can contact them, you might ask if a faster heating replacement is available. And while you're at it, you might ask where to buy them. They are the ones that put me onto the local auto parts store, and gave me a different stock number which made all the difference. --- Bob

stevepap

OK, gang, this will probably further provoke Bobcat, Inc. (should I refer to my Bobcat as a Robertfeline?). The local Bobcat dealer wants $36 each for new glow plugs for my 751. After doing some extensive research on-line, I found several sources listing plugs for the Peugeot engine, mostly in Europe. But more importantly, I found a Bosch part number in my cheater-book (having discovered that the engine in my Bobcat is the Peugeot XUD9 engine, I ordered a Peugeot 306 Haynes manual, as the 306 sedan also has the XUD9 engine). Having the Bosch part number in hand, I called Bosch USA and found a current Bosch stock number. Bosch USA further told me that Autozone carries such parts. One more phone call located a whole box of them about a mile from my house, at $8.99 each. Haven't installed them yet, but it looks like the problem is solved at 1/4 the Bobcat price. For the 751C owner, the Bosch part number is 0 250 201 039 and the Bosch stock number is 80006 (the latter is what Autozone recognizes). For the Mercedes 240D owner, same plug works in it. I did not go with the Autolite equivalent (1102), as the physical appearance is quite different. The nice Bosch techie told me Peugeot used this plug in many of their engines. Also offered that the plugs are designed to reach max temperature in 4 seconds, and can be powered up continuously for 3 minutes without damage. I believe my Bobcat's ready light indicates "OK to crank now" after about 6 seconds, and the "keep the power to the plugs" relay drops power at about 12 to 15 seconds. --- I'll report back in about 10 days on whether the new plugs solve my reluctant start problem. ---Bob
Hello bob do you have a glow plug relay part number?
I have a 751 bobcat same engine same problem

Tazza

Staff member
Taz, sorry, I didn't see your question. I don't know what the voltage rating of my plugs are. I assumed 12v. Bosch US has a nice info line, I've gotten calls back from a good techie in about an hour after I left the question with the nice phone-answering gal. I just didn't ask about the voltage. The techie "said" they would reach full temp in 4 seconds, I think I only tried one and that seemed about right. Don't remember where the glowing started (tip or otherwise). I think you're dealing with a 743, probably Kubota engine. Bosch Customer Service: 888-715-3616 here in the U.S. Didn't find a phone number for Australia at http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/index.asp If you can contact them, you might ask if a faster heating replacement is available. And while you're at it, you might ask where to buy them. They are the ones that put me onto the local auto parts store, and gave me a different stock number which made all the difference. --- Bob
Thanks for the info, see how i go.
As my dad works for an engine reconditioning place, sourcing parts isn't a problem at all, thats how i got my after market parts for my kubota engine at a good price and the last lot of plugs, they cost me $10 AUD each, which i thought was pretty damn good.

OP
OP
bobbie-g

bobbie-g

Hello bob do you have a glow plug relay part number?
I have a 751 bobcat same engine same problem
Steve, I no longer have the 751 and don't know what the part number is for the relay. Bobcat parts catalog on-line might give you that. I recall there were about four relays the same size down at the lower right as you look at the engine from the rear. Maybe swap some around? Have you put a voltmeter on the glow plug wire to see if they're getting voltage when you try to start? :) ---Bobbie-G