Snow plow Conversion Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Trapper-Randy

Hi all! I am new here and had a question about converting my old plow off of the old plow truck to my NH L175. I had always ran Western plow fluid or ATF in the plow pump and wasnt sure how to flush the angle cylinders before hooking up the hoses to the skidsteer. Also do I need to restrict the flow to the cyclinders from the machine.Does not high flow aux. Thanks T-R

Tazza

Staff member
To flush the cylinders out, remove the fittings and stroke the cylinder from end to end, this will push out all the fluid possible. Plow compressed air down the hydraulic lines to clear them.
As for flow restrictors, you can buy them from a hydraulic shop. You can get adjustable ones too so you can dial it in.

OP
OP
T

Trapper-Randy

Thanks for the help! Another question I have is the fittings for the aux hydro are expensive and since I am not plowing as a business just personal will it hurt to go to a cheaper quick disconnect fittings? T-R

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the help! Another question I have is the fittings for the aux hydro are expensive and since I am not plowing as a business just personal will it hurt to go to a cheaper quick disconnect fittings? T-R
Do you mean you need to put fittings on the machine too? if so, the cheaper ones are no problem at all.

KarlB

The flat nose couplers are expensive and i thought about just switching the machine to a cheaper set. Thanks T-R
Many of the older machines (e.g. 743) use Pioneer/ag style aux hydraulic couplers. Cheap and available. The problem is when we rent an attachment, everything uses the newer flat face couplers.

We have three options.
1. Switch to flat face couplers on our machines and our own accessories. Easy, but expensive.
2. Buy converters that connect to our Pioneer/ag couplers and have flat face couplers. I think SkidRoe posted a link to these. Probably less money than #1, but something extra to lose.
3. Don't rent. Which isn't really practical, when you really need that auger/trencher/etc. one time.

...karl

SkidRoe

Many of the older machines (e.g. 743) use Pioneer/ag style aux hydraulic couplers. Cheap and available. The problem is when we rent an attachment, everything uses the newer flat face couplers.

We have three options.
1. Switch to flat face couplers on our machines and our own accessories. Easy, but expensive.
2. Buy converters that connect to our Pioneer/ag couplers and have flat face couplers. I think SkidRoe posted a link to these. Probably less money than #1, but something extra to lose.
3. Don't rent. Which isn't really practical, when you really need that auger/trencher/etc. one time.

...karl
The converter couplers are made by Safeway Hydraulics. @ KarlB - I have a special place on a shelf that I keep them, coupled together , so at least when I lose them, I will lose both of them! ;-)

SkidRoe

The converter couplers are made by Safeway Hydraulics. @ KarlB - I have a special place on a shelf that I keep them, coupled together , so at least when I lose them, I will lose both of them! ;-)
Here is the link: http://www.safewayhyd.com/coupler-adapters.htm It is the first two at the top of the page that you need.

OP
OP
T

Trapper-Randy

Here is the link: http://www.safewayhyd.com/coupler-adapters.htm It is the first two at the top of the page that you need.
Thanks for all the help! I have the rest of the stuff I need ordered. I found the flow restrictors at www.surpluscenter.com. I am sure yall seem a pile of pics of skidSteers with plows on them but I will post a few when I get a minute to do so! T-R

SkidRoe

Thanks for all the help! I have the rest of the stuff I need ordered. I found the flow restrictors at www.surpluscenter.com. I am sure yall seem a pile of pics of skidSteers with plows on them but I will post a few when I get a minute to do so! T-R
Bring on the pic's!! Looking forward to seeing it.

OP
OP
T

Trapper-Randy

Bring on the pic's!! Looking forward to seeing it.
104_4542_SK_zps485b6c88.jpg

104_4543_S_zpsae1e50e0.jpg

B-Edwards

Looks great. If I knew where you were I'd steal your cab kit . :)
I forgot,, you need to be careful with the short hoses . I lift and tilt my blade sometimes to get a better angle to cut ice. You will pop the fitting off the cylinder while doing that. Dont ask how I know.

OP
OP
T

Trapper-Randy

I forgot,, you need to be careful with the short hoses . I lift and tilt my blade sometimes to get a better angle to cut ice. You will pop the fitting off the cylinder while doing that. Dont ask how I know.
The hoses do look a little short in the pics but there is plenty of slack. Must be the way they are laying or something. The enclosed cab is kinda nice! The last couple of years I plowed with my ATV and it can get a bit cold when you spend 3hrs plowing. Now I can get it done in about 30 minutes and stay warm doing it! Thanks for looking.

T-R

Latest posts