Snow chain options

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nirias

I know it is summer, but... Can anyone comment on the best snow chain arrangement for a skid steer with blower? I plan to use a S220 with Erskine 2418 blower for snow removal on a soft gravel/dirt driveway. In the winter there is typically around an inch of ice under the snow that gets really slick so running without chains isnt an option. Would ladder style chains, especially the 4 link style, be more willing to skid sideways and therefore cause less damage to the driveway during turns? Should I be concerned about this or do diamond or "H" pattern chains typically skid easily enough to not chew up driveways?

pelpel

I use chains with the extra V welded onto the links for extra traction. They are mounted on the rear tires. Traction is great, in particular on sloping / steep driveways. The only issue I have with it is that the extra V really marks up the driveways bad. Maybe I'll try some without the V on it next time. Perhaps not an issue if all you do is gravel / dirt roads. Any hard pavement (concrete / blacktop) looks pretty bad. I told the customers that I can clear their driveways, BUT, it will be marked up pretty good.

destro

I use chains with no v at all. There is no wear and tear on pavment at all ; But it helps having a all wheel steer.