Small skidsteer (700lbs lift capacity) for digging and clearing, excavating basement q's

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bfriendly

I'm looking at a few "smaller" machines, bobcat 371, case 1816, an older mustang machine, bobcat farmboy, possibly one of the stand behind machines... I want to get the smallest machine that will be suitable for me, because I would like to use it later this year when my house is jacked up (and supported professionally), under the house, for redoing the basement and foundation. BUT I also want to be able to dig into soft compacted "forest" type soil reasonably easily, and possibly be able to pull out small (6"-10" max trunk size) root balls possibly using forks or the bucket. I am willing to make trade offs and work extra hard to accomplish the digging tasks, but want to get a machine that will be able to do the job and also fit under the house. I know most are going to recommend a bigger machine for "digging" ....like a 610 bobcat at a minimum I'm assuming. (100-1200 lift capacity I'm assuming) But in your opinion could it be possible to do this with any smaller machines? Anyone who has experience with bobcat or any other brand smaller skid steer please chime in thank you!

OldMachinist

I have a Bobcat 453. I use it for lots of different tasks.
Digging} With just tires the digging capability is limited, using steel over the tire tracks I have dug many pits and low water creek crossings.
Tree removal} Really depends on the type of tree but a 10" tree would require digging around it first to get it to come out.

SkidRoe

I have a 440B. Like OM says, digging performance will vary greatly, and is some what limited.
I do not have tracks for my machine, but i did fit my bucket with a set of digging teeth. This made a HUGE difference in digging performance. I have added counterweights to the back of my machine, and I was considering adding an S70 front weight to increase down pressure on the bucket; that is until I put teeth on.
I have removed alot of tree stumps with my machine, using the grapple bucket I built for it (http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=46363). It handles up to 8" cedars with ease, just cut them with about 24" of trunk to give some leverage. Larger stumps are doable, but take a little more finnesse.
We did own a 371 for about 7 years before we bought the 440B new. You will not be happy with the clutch machine for what you are doing. While they are better than a shovel (or a manure fork, in our case), the hydro machines are far superior, allow a faster maximum travel speed, and turn so much smoother, especially under load.
Also, alot of the smaller older machines were not fitted with aux. hydraulic connections, so you are limited in available attachments. My 440B did not have them originally, but the parts were still available from Bobcat to add them.
HTH

[email protected]

I have a 440B. Like OM says, digging performance will vary greatly, and is some what limited.
I do not have tracks for my machine, but i did fit my bucket with a set of digging teeth. This made a HUGE difference in digging performance. I have added counterweights to the back of my machine, and I was considering adding an S70 front weight to increase down pressure on the bucket; that is until I put teeth on.
I have removed alot of tree stumps with my machine, using the grapple bucket I built for it (http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=46363). It handles up to 8" cedars with ease, just cut them with about 24" of trunk to give some leverage. Larger stumps are doable, but take a little more finnesse.
We did own a 371 for about 7 years before we bought the 440B new. You will not be happy with the clutch machine for what you are doing. While they are better than a shovel (or a manure fork, in our case), the hydro machines are far superior, allow a faster maximum travel speed, and turn so much smoother, especially under load.
Also, alot of the smaller older machines were not fitted with aux. hydraulic connections, so you are limited in available attachments. My 440B did not have them originally, but the parts were still available from Bobcat to add them.
HTH
if you are gonna be in basements a lot i think a walk behind is the way to go but if you will only do it a little then get an s70

lesgawlik

if you are gonna be in basements a lot i think a walk behind is the way to go but if you will only do it a little then get an s70
I have an 1816. As others have said about Bobcats, the Case will not dig without a tooth bar. I use the 1816 all the time. The one I got came with a snow blade. At first, I thought it was a Case attachment, but I think it was just the backing plate from manure forks that someone mounted a garden tractor blade to. I was able to dig out a large french drain, 3' x 3' x 60' with pipe and washed gravel into hard clay with the tooth bar and bucket. It's a very handy machine, as I'm sure all the ones mentioned are.

ubique631

I have an 1816. As others have said about Bobcats, the Case will not dig without a tooth bar. I use the 1816 all the time. The one I got came with a snow blade. At first, I thought it was a Case attachment, but I think it was just the backing plate from manure forks that someone mounted a garden tractor blade to. I was able to dig out a large french drain, 3' x 3' x 60' with pipe and washed gravel into hard clay with the tooth bar and bucket. It's a very handy machine, as I'm sure all the ones mentioned are.
i have a bobcat 443 i put 4 teeth on the bucket and dug out 20 tons of earth and clay in a morning and back filled 16 tons of crushed limestone which i compacted and then put 4 tons of river sand on the top ready to lay a drive very capable,. i have bought a back hoe last week which will be used to dig trenches next week.

[email protected]

i have a bobcat 443 i put 4 teeth on the bucket and dug out 20 tons of earth and clay in a morning and back filled 16 tons of crushed limestone which i compacted and then put 4 tons of river sand on the top ready to lay a drive very capable,. i have bought a back hoe last week which will be used to dig trenches next week.
any machine will not dig well without teeth. teeth are key.