skidsteer weight

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DANNP

I have a thomas and it is supposed to lift 1700 pds , ti will try to lift quite a bit don't know exactly how much but does anyone have an idea of how much weight you could or should put on the back and any suggestions how to mount it . I have a truck spring out of a tandem oil truck must weigh 250 lbs ,I thought i could cut it in half and use the two eyelets at each end to pivot the weight like a door my skidsteer has a door to open to get at the engine so if I hinged the weight the same way I could open the weight then the door . what do you think ?

TriHonu

Sounds reasonable. Are you going to attach them to the door or hinge them off the loader body?
I would keep the weight as low as possible to keep the center of gravity low. On Bobcats the dealers only recommend about 125 lb counter weight in the door. However you can add the donut weights on the axle tubes.
I have 300 lbs of suitcase weights in the shop waiting for me to build a couple of mounts. I want them easily removable and will be hanging them at the bottom of the rear sides.
Be careful when operating the loader with no attachment and the counterweight attached. Could get a little light in the front...
emotion-5.gif

OP
OP
D

DANNP

Sounds reasonable. Are you going to attach them to the door or hinge them off the loader body?
I would keep the weight as low as possible to keep the center of gravity low. On Bobcats the dealers only recommend about 125 lb counter weight in the door. However you can add the donut weights on the axle tubes.
I have 300 lbs of suitcase weights in the shop waiting for me to build a couple of mounts. I want them easily removable and will be hanging them at the bottom of the rear sides.
Be careful when operating the loader with no attachment and the counterweight attached. Could get a little light in the front...
I thought I should attach them to the body ,I don't think the door would handle the extra weight and twisting. I was looking today and think I have come up with a plan ,there is a door frame around the back held on with 3/4 inch bolts I think . This frame has gussets in the corners , three of them , two of them are mounted low , one on the bottom and one approx. 12 inches higher if I mount some old oxygen cylinder tubes to each side with slip on tabs I could fill them with weight and the top tab would bolt on to easily attach and remove them . what do you think? Inside the tubes I would cut up an old oil truck spring and put them in as needed.

TriHonu

I thought I should attach them to the body ,I don't think the door would handle the extra weight and twisting. I was looking today and think I have come up with a plan ,there is a door frame around the back held on with 3/4 inch bolts I think . This frame has gussets in the corners , three of them , two of them are mounted low , one on the bottom and one approx. 12 inches higher if I mount some old oxygen cylinder tubes to each side with slip on tabs I could fill them with weight and the top tab would bolt on to easily attach and remove them . what do you think? Inside the tubes I would cut up an old oil truck spring and put them in as needed.
How about drilling a couple of holes in the side and placing bolts from the inside of the body. They you could slide the spring eye over the bolt and nut it on. A second bolt at the other end would keep it from shifting.
One half on each side would do it and only four bolts to hold them on.

OP
OP
D

DANNP

How about drilling a couple of holes in the side and placing bolts from the inside of the body. They you could slide the spring eye over the bolt and nut it on. A second bolt at the other end would keep it from shifting.
One half on each side would do it and only four bolts to hold them on.
Yes maybe hang them vertically from the eye holes never thought of that , I originally wanted to hinge it on the eye holes behind the door , but it is too long.

Latest posts