Scat Trak 1500D project

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

azeller22

I bought this machine at the beginning of the year for $3500 from an auction where I bought it sight unseen from 7hrs away. There was a video that showed it operating and the issues noted were weak drive and some hydraulic leaks. It runs great with 2600hrs on a V2203 Turbo Kubota. I picked it up and brought it home and discovered all the additional issues:

The quick attach - was weld repaired crappily and weird replacement pins were used, one pin was even welded in place. The holes/bushings in the quick attach were all ovalled out. The pins that hold on the bucket were seized as though they had never been greased. It was a mess! But, $350 later it's all rebuilt and tight with all new pins and bushings. $200 of that was paying the welder to weld on new bushings, as I only have a small MIG for thinner than 1/4". I bought bar stock and used a lathe and end mill at work after hours to produce new pins and bushings. Even made pins with a grease zerk sunk in the end so it wouldn't get knocked off and drilled holes so the grease would come out the center of the pin. Was quoted on having the four pins hardened for $75 but I haven't done that. I'll check the wear after a couple hours of use and go from there.

tilt cylinders - the left cylinder had no hoses attached to it and the right cylinder was leaking like crazy. Ended up having to buy new cylinders because the rams were bent on both.

hydraulic leak - ended up being the seals in the motors, as oil was leaking through both motors into the chain case. Haven't run it yet since. One of the motor shafts has some slight grooving where the seal sits, so it may still be a leaker.

weak drive power - I currently have the Vickers TA1919 hydrostat apart. The wafer plates had bad grooving so I have 2 new ones on order. $55/plate.
0515020744.jpg
The cylinder block that turns against the wafer plate had some minor grooves that sanded out with a wet sanding/polishing wheel. It's a machine used to polish metallurgical samples.

front wheel bearings - they have some slop so will examine and probably replace with new bearing kits.

fuel gauge doesn't work - I buy a $20 Sunpro universal sender and adapt it to the existing sender. I've done it before on a 642 Bobcat and worked excellent.

Instrument panel cracked and switch hanging out - fixed with Plastifix and some washers.

Boom cable stiff (left hand control)- this machine has Case style controls and I took off the one cable and let it sit in WD40 for a few days but it didn't do much for it. Will replace with a new cable for $110.

Drive chains - the chains and sprockets have almost no wear, but the chains are loose so I need to tighten them up.

Chaincase access plate - one side has 3 broken studs and the other side has 5 broken studs. I'm going to weld on new studs and shorten them all up so they don't stick beyond the top of the nuts. And I'm going to get some low profile nuts. This should help prevent future breakage.

Needs a couple tires and new filters and oil.

It's quite a bit of work, but this machine is definitely maintenance friendly and I've enjoyed working on it. It has a bunch of easily removed panels to access major components. The front and rear axles have pop off rubber coverings and you can easily access the nuts with a 2 1/4" socket. It's too bad the previous owners abused it so much. A little bit of preventative maintenance and this machine would have probably still been a beaut.

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/azeller22/Scat%20Trak%201500D/?action=view&current=0405020744.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/azeller22/Scat%20Trak%201500D/0405020744.jpg

Photobucket

0405020744.jpg

OP
OP
A

azeller22

That sure is a lot of work..... At least you have access to gear to get it done cheaply.
Cheaply yes. Timely, not so much :) I'm hoping to have it up and going in a couple weeks. I have the projects building up which need it.

RJSStamps

Cheaply yes. Timely, not so much :) I'm hoping to have it up and going in a couple weeks. I have the projects building up which need it.
At least I'm not alone getting an older machine up and running. And the longer it sits the more uses I find for it! Mine should be going again on Thursday or Friday, just waiting on a fuel shut off solenoid to show up and in 15 minutes it will be humming again. Good luck, sounds like you have it under control though.

OP
OP
A

azeller22

At least I'm not alone getting an older machine up and running. And the longer it sits the more uses I find for it! Mine should be going again on Thursday or Friday, just waiting on a fuel shut off solenoid to show up and in 15 minutes it will be humming again. Good luck, sounds like you have it under control though.
Yes, hoping to have mine up and going by next weekend.

Took off the other half of the hydrostat and same story

For left drive

Also decided to tackle the front wheel bearings. Now I just need to figure out how to get this apart. I read where some people leave it on the machine and use floor jacks to get the axle out.

front right hub bearing assy

RJSStamps

Yes, hoping to have mine up and going by next weekend.

Took off the other half of the hydrostat and same story

Also decided to tackle the front wheel bearings. Now I just need to figure out how to get this apart. I read where some people leave it on the machine and use floor jacks to get the axle out.
I'm afraid to check the bearings on mine. But after running it they don't feel bad. So far the oil is clean too. What I think from what I have seen is they may have done the bearing just before it was parked. The guy put $2500 into it before he passed away but his wife has no clue what was done. Not bad though as I got it for $2400 and put a motor in it and some other ods and ends and the total is around $4000 so I feel pretty lucky so far. It will need a couple hydraulic lines this summer and one cylinder will need seals but everything else seems OK so far.

OP
OP
A

azeller22

I'm afraid to check the bearings on mine. But after running it they don't feel bad. So far the oil is clean too. What I think from what I have seen is they may have done the bearing just before it was parked. The guy put $2500 into it before he passed away but his wife has no clue what was done. Not bad though as I got it for $2400 and put a motor in it and some other ods and ends and the total is around $4000 so I feel pretty lucky so far. It will need a couple hydraulic lines this summer and one cylinder will need seals but everything else seems OK so far.
Discovered the bearings were rolling smooth. Just had to reseat the tapered bearings. It appears the previous owner forgot to put washers back on when he replaced chains and this allowed the bearings to move back away from each other enough to give the wheel a little more slop then desired. I bought new washers and cleaned everything up and put it back together and all is good.

This past weekend I put new wafer plates in the hydrostat and newly surfaced rotating groups. Had to replace a bearing and a race also.

Then I adjusted my chain tension at all four wheels.

The last thing I did was drain out all the hydraulic fluid and put new stuff back in. Need to buy another 5 gallon pail then the machine will be ready for test. Cross my fingers!

The next items on the project list are to replace some broken studs on the chain case covers, replace the sticky left hand operating cable, then replace the fuel gauge sender.

Then it'll be time to get a grapple bucket and some forks...

OP
OP
A

azeller22

Discovered the bearings were rolling smooth. Just had to reseat the tapered bearings. It appears the previous owner forgot to put washers back on when he replaced chains and this allowed the bearings to move back away from each other enough to give the wheel a little more slop then desired. I bought new washers and cleaned everything up and put it back together and all is good.

This past weekend I put new wafer plates in the hydrostat and newly surfaced rotating groups. Had to replace a bearing and a race also.

Then I adjusted my chain tension at all four wheels.

The last thing I did was drain out all the hydraulic fluid and put new stuff back in. Need to buy another 5 gallon pail then the machine will be ready for test. Cross my fingers!

The next items on the project list are to replace some broken studs on the chain case covers, replace the sticky left hand operating cable, then replace the fuel gauge sender.

Then it'll be time to get a grapple bucket and some forks...
The machine is back up and running like a dream! Still have to replace the sticky operating cable which I'll do this week.

I'm also on the hunt for replacement tires. Which is the best traction tire other than the R4 in soft conditions? I'm looking for something that wears better on the hard stuff but also cleans out decent in the muck.

Tazza

Staff member
The machine is back up and running like a dream! Still have to replace the sticky operating cable which I'll do this week.

I'm also on the hunt for replacement tires. Which is the best traction tire other than the R4 in soft conditions? I'm looking for something that wears better on the hard stuff but also cleans out decent in the muck.
Good to hear its running well, it's always how you want a project to go :)

zork40

Yeah glad to hear it's up and running!
I'm trying to help my brother find a part for a Scat Trak 1500D and found this thread. He needs a left hand boom control cable. Does anyone know where I can get one? One was mentioned in the original post.

bobkat843

you have to like the way the cab lift u p like that! I hope someday all skids steal that design Good luck