RHINO LINING YOUR BOBCAT???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

grim

I got a 2006 s185 with a gold package from a guy that didn't exactly clean it with a toothbrush. I don't plan on using for a few months so I've been chipping away at loose and rusted areas (BTW - it the powder coating used on this bobcat the worst ever?). My original intention was to clean it up, fine sand finish, treat rust with inhibitors and primer, then paint. After more consideration I am wanting to substitute paint with RHINO LINING!! My idea is to take the lift arm assembly OFF and have that done (putting threaded rod in all the necessary places and plugging appropriate holes before having it sprayed.) After that removing the cab (I think I will just prime and paint the cab as it doesn't really get too much abuse). Then I was going to have the rest of the machine done. Anyone have any experience with such an endeavor? Bad/Good idea? Thanks- Dean

frogfarmer

Sounds like a good idea. We put a couple heavy coats of primer after we scrape and chisel the powder coat that is damaged. Then we sand the rough areas to blend the paint. After that we shoot 3 or 4 coats of color to finish the job. The industrial enamel we use lasts much better than the powder coat. When they look bad enough for paint almost anything is an improvement.

sledesigns

Sounds like a good idea. We put a couple heavy coats of primer after we scrape and chisel the powder coat that is damaged. Then we sand the rough areas to blend the paint. After that we shoot 3 or 4 coats of color to finish the job. The industrial enamel we use lasts much better than the powder coat. When they look bad enough for paint almost anything is an improvement.
Good stuff and comes in many colors. Get the professional liner thats about $500 for a truck bed. The auto parts stuff you spray yourself is less durable than weak paint. Only thing on the minus side of a Bobcat and Rhino Liner might be that mud would stick to it well & not pop off by itself from drying. May have to actually wash to clean it, yikes. Take some pics though, we like pics.

jklingel

Good stuff and comes in many colors. Get the professional liner thats about $500 for a truck bed. The auto parts stuff you spray yourself is less durable than weak paint. Only thing on the minus side of a Bobcat and Rhino Liner might be that mud would stick to it well & not pop off by itself from drying. May have to actually wash to clean it, yikes. Take some pics though, we like pics.
If you are talking about the typical RhinoLiner in p/u trucks, forget it. It was in a p/u bed I took off a truck for my son; professionally installed. The liner peels off fairly easily, is sort of rubbery, and it is not all that tough. For a guy putting a few 2x4s into his truck it is fine, but I was thinking of using it on the bottom of a canoe; I tried Herculiner instead, a very similar product, and it was a joke. I took it off. If anything, I'd look at Rhino's HardLine; they will send you a sample. That stuff is many times tougher than the "normal" bed liner, it can be applied to a very smooth finish, and it would wash easily. It may break the bank, too. It can only be installed w/ a hot gun; no DIY. Maybe epoxy paint is the answer???? j

gtstang462002

If you are talking about the typical RhinoLiner in p/u trucks, forget it. It was in a p/u bed I took off a truck for my son; professionally installed. The liner peels off fairly easily, is sort of rubbery, and it is not all that tough. For a guy putting a few 2x4s into his truck it is fine, but I was thinking of using it on the bottom of a canoe; I tried Herculiner instead, a very similar product, and it was a joke. I took it off. If anything, I'd look at Rhino's HardLine; they will send you a sample. That stuff is many times tougher than the "normal" bed liner, it can be applied to a very smooth finish, and it would wash easily. It may break the bank, too. It can only be installed w/ a hot gun; no DIY. Maybe epoxy paint is the answer???? j
I have the Line-X brand in my truck and it is tough as nails. My parents have the rhino lining in their truck and have beat the crap out of the bed to the point where it is dented and the lining has stuck with the dented metal. I say it is pretty tough.

dogfishlake

I have the Line-X brand in my truck and it is tough as nails. My parents have the rhino lining in their truck and have beat the crap out of the bed to the point where it is dented and the lining has stuck with the dented metal. I say it is pretty tough.
Hi new here but I,ve been down this road too. bobcat,s problem (and most others too) with powder coat is not the coating, it's the hot rolled plate it is put on top of. The failure between the actual steel and the bluish grey scale on the plate takes the powder layer off with it. I think whatever you do will hold up better if you sandblast the parts white clean and properly topcoat. I blasted the arms, cab, bucket, rear door and other small stuff on my 773 and then re-powder coated them (it's what I do)and they were awsome. Paint wii work fine too, just get the prep right- farm enamel works great believe it or not as long as you use the hardener and when you are done use spray wax on it. Sounds crazy but if you can give your kids 5 bucks to spray wax(auto parts store stuff) your machine once in a while, you will be amazed at how long it holds up. This is also great for those powder coated machines before the big chunks start rusting off- it needs an oxygen barrier. Hope this helps, good luck.

Bandit1047

Hi new here but I,ve been down this road too. bobcat,s problem (and most others too) with powder coat is not the coating, it's the hot rolled plate it is put on top of. The failure between the actual steel and the bluish grey scale on the plate takes the powder layer off with it. I think whatever you do will hold up better if you sandblast the parts white clean and properly topcoat. I blasted the arms, cab, bucket, rear door and other small stuff on my 773 and then re-powder coated them (it's what I do)and they were awsome. Paint wii work fine too, just get the prep right- farm enamel works great believe it or not as long as you use the hardener and when you are done use spray wax on it. Sounds crazy but if you can give your kids 5 bucks to spray wax(auto parts store stuff) your machine once in a while, you will be amazed at how long it holds up. This is also great for those powder coated machines before the big chunks start rusting off- it needs an oxygen barrier. Hope this helps, good luck.
How nice do you need it to look and how deep are your pockets?
Rino liner will hold dirt unless you pressure wash it.
If you don't prep the surface correctly, nothing will stay on very long.
If you can afford it, have it shot blasted clean and have it painted with Imron a Dupont product.