Replacement of 2005 A300 fuel sending unit

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

brdgbldr

This was done a 2005 A300 but should also work with an S300 and other similar models. The manual actually says to remove the motor and pump as a single unit to replace the fuel sending unit
I was able to replace the fuel sending unit from the upper left side access panel behind the lift cylinder. (If you don't have AC you may be able to do it from the other side lower panel behind the tire.) If you reach in over the drive belt tensioning spring you can just reach the fuel sending unit and can remove the wire.
A few problems I ran into:
A 1-5/8" socket would not go over my old unit. Would have liked to have a 1-11/16" or maybe even a 1-3/4".
Hoses entering the pump are above the unit and there is only about 6" of room so I could not use a long wrench or long extensions. When I installed the new unit I used a 1-5/8" socket with a universal joint and a short extension set at 90 degrees to tighten it. (I would also have used this to remove the old unit if the socket had fit)
I had to use wide jawed vise-grips to remove the old unit. Had to get a good bite every time or could have stripped or broken the old unit.
It would have helped a lot to have someone looking in from the other side to help get the jaws aligned since this has to be done blind. I had to have my entire arm, up the the shoulder, in the access to reach the unit.
Good luck to anybody that needs to do this. I had a lot of trial and error before I was successful. It took me 7 hours with breaks, so probably about 5 hours of constantly trying different things, to get the old unit remove. It took me maybe 5 minutes to get the new unit installed.
Hopefully this will help others since I could not find anything to help me.

Excellent information brdgbldr, thank you! I thought I read something about pulling the motor and pump and I immediately went into denial!..ha! It reminded me of when I was a kid a century ago and decided to do a clutch job on my girlfriends MG midget. After spending hours trying to drop the transmission I finally came to the conclusion that the engine had to be pulled along with the tranny!.....I had it towed to the foreign car mechanic! It's times like these that I'd like to hang the design engineers by their thumbs