Repairing a burned Bobcat S250

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobcatjohn58

A friend and I just purchased a S250 Bobcat, that had an electrical fire. The people we bought it from, used a backhoe to load it on our trailer. The thing is so big, we can't drag it off the trailer. Somewhere on the thing, there should be a bypass valve that should allow the tires to turn, and not slide. Since we haven't got a shop manual yet, and everything in the cab area is fried, can anyone tell me if there is a lever, and where it is. If not what is the best way to let the tires free wheel, so it can be moved around to work on. Thanks to anyone who can help us out here.

7LBSSMALLIE

not goining to happen. push pull etc get it in. even if you pull motors and release brake, its stiill heavey.

Tazza

Staff member
not goining to happen. push pull etc get it in. even if you pull motors and release brake, its stiill heavey.
I generally just use brute force, even wetting the tyres helps them slip some.
The only other way is to remove the hoses from the drive motors, lift the cab and disable the park brake. Roll it slowly and i hope the hydraulic system is clean or else you will chew up your drive motors.

usa#1

I generally just use brute force, even wetting the tyres helps them slip some.
The only other way is to remove the hoses from the drive motors, lift the cab and disable the park brake. Roll it slowly and i hope the hydraulic system is clean or else you will chew up your drive motors.
Even though it may be a little costly, an adapter could probably be fabricated using a trailer hub (the ones with a square flange on the back) to allow the temporary installation of an automotive tire/wheel in place of each of the bobcat wheels. This would allow the wheels to "free wheel" so the machine could be pushed around to work on or to be pulled up onto a trailer without hurting the drive system of the machine. Once repaired just replace each adapter and wheel with the regular tire/wheel. Probably a crazy idea, but I seem to have a few every day.

jerry

Even though it may be a little costly, an adapter could probably be fabricated using a trailer hub (the ones with a square flange on the back) to allow the temporary installation of an automotive tire/wheel in place of each of the bobcat wheels. This would allow the wheels to "free wheel" so the machine could be pushed around to work on or to be pulled up onto a trailer without hurting the drive system of the machine. Once repaired just replace each adapter and wheel with the regular tire/wheel. Probably a crazy idea, but I seem to have a few every day.
That's actually not a bad idea depending on what a guy has laying around it might not cost all that much.

mahans7

That's actually not a bad idea depending on what a guy has laying around it might not cost all that much.
I like that idea also. I don't like the thought of my machine going down somewhere and I can't get it home because the wheels are locked up. Can you post a drawing of what you have in mind?

usa#1

I like that idea also. I don't like the thought of my machine going down somewhere and I can't get it home because the wheels are locked up. Can you post a drawing of what you have in mind?
I don't have a sketch, but take a look at Northern Tool item # 128008 for an idea of a possible style for the hub assembly. Would have to cut pipe section off the hub assy flush with flange and then weld on a circular plate with the correct bolt pattern matching the skid steer (or cut out center of an old wheel with correct bolt pattern). Then just get a used wheel/tire that matches bolt pattern of the Northern Tool hub and bolt it to the hub. You would need to make 4 of the adapters. Could be bolted on "out in the field" one tire at a time.

[email protected]

I don't have a sketch, but take a look at Northern Tool item # 128008 for an idea of a possible style for the hub assembly. Would have to cut pipe section off the hub assy flush with flange and then weld on a circular plate with the correct bolt pattern matching the skid steer (or cut out center of an old wheel with correct bolt pattern). Then just get a used wheel/tire that matches bolt pattern of the Northern Tool hub and bolt it to the hub. You would need to make 4 of the adapters. Could be bolted on "out in the field" one tire at a time.
get a set of car dollys, jack it up and set them on in.....put plywood over your ramps so they are smooth.....and hook it to a winch or something to slow it down. then you can move it on the ground too. boom, solved. cheap too.

jerry

get a set of car dollys, jack it up and set them on in.....put plywood over your ramps so they are smooth.....and hook it to a winch or something to slow it down. then you can move it on the ground too. boom, solved. cheap too.
I have seen it said that the older 3/4 ton 8 bolt pickup wheels fit most skidsteers or you could have steel rings burned and drilled at a shop. I had a set made for the 610 1/2 inch thick. . Most front wheel drive cars have a flat backed spindle on the rear axle . If you build it people will borrow it .

de03x7

Great, just great, another project I need to get done .This is a wonderful idea for moving a dead machine. You should be able to find hubs and wheels/tires on old junk cars for nothing if you look around. It may cost you the time to dispose of a couple old cars but if you do it while you have a running machine that would be easy enough. What bites is that I have gotten rid of several cars in the past couple years that would have had the stuff needed to make a set of these.

Tazza

Staff member
Great, just great, another project I need to get done .This is a wonderful idea for moving a dead machine. You should be able to find hubs and wheels/tires on old junk cars for nothing if you look around. It may cost you the time to dispose of a couple old cars but if you do it while you have a running machine that would be easy enough. What bites is that I have gotten rid of several cars in the past couple years that would have had the stuff needed to make a set of these.
A fine idea indeed. If only i had the time to fabricate them, wouldn't be too hard ot make either. The race is now on as to who gets it built first :)

OP
OP
B

bobcatjohn58

A fine idea indeed. If only i had the time to fabricate them, wouldn't be too hard ot make either. The race is now on as to who gets it built first :)
It's amazing, that for the price of one of these things, that Bobcat doesn't include a bypass valve one can use, in case of a blown engine or other. We did get it unloaded, using 2 940 Mustangs. They pulled hard, but got the job done. Just hate the idea of having to slide it around though. First things first, is clean out all the burned stuff, then pull the motor for clean up, and re wiring. Anybody got any used parts, such as a complete wiring harness, gauges, ignition switch, heater controls, joy stick controls, and maybe the computer? The cage is OK, but looking for either a complete cab, or glass and mounting hardware. Big job, but we've done other things like this.

mahans7

It's amazing, that for the price of one of these things, that Bobcat doesn't include a bypass valve one can use, in case of a blown engine or other. We did get it unloaded, using 2 940 Mustangs. They pulled hard, but got the job done. Just hate the idea of having to slide it around though. First things first, is clean out all the burned stuff, then pull the motor for clean up, and re wiring. Anybody got any used parts, such as a complete wiring harness, gauges, ignition switch, heater controls, joy stick controls, and maybe the computer? The cage is OK, but looking for either a complete cab, or glass and mounting hardware. Big job, but we've done other things like this.
BCJohn, can you take a picture of the S250 and the damage. I struggle to post pictures but if you use IE it may work better.

The car dolly idea would be cheaper and easy but might be hard to use in a dirt field(unless you laid down plywood or something to roll on). But it seems like around here nothing is too hard and the easy way doesn't mean much! If someone does the bolt on wheel project please take pics.>

Tazza

Staff member
BCJohn, can you take a picture of the S250 and the damage. I struggle to post pictures but if you use IE it may work better.

The car dolly idea would be cheaper and easy but might be hard to use in a dirt field(unless you laid down plywood or something to roll on). But it seems like around here nothing is too hard and the easy way doesn't mean much! If someone does the bolt on wheel project please take pics.>
I second the picture request.
The wiring will be fun...... A new harness will cost you a lot, hopefully you can patch it up some. I did this to a 751, the engine bay harness was stuffed, i managed to re-wire the aux and park brake, saved me buying a harness for them too.
You will have a big job a head of you. I looked at one years back that was nasty. I figured worst case, i could get it going, but not like factory. You still have the mechanicals, engine, pump/valves/culinders etc so that can be run without a computer. The safety devices would be disabled though.
One thing i suggest you do is to pull everything down and clean out the oil. The tube lines if they got hot enough will have carbon from the oil in them. Clean that out or it gets into the pump and motors. I pulled the lot down, cylinders, pumps, motors, valve.

OP
OP
B

bobcatjohn58

I second the picture request.
The wiring will be fun...... A new harness will cost you a lot, hopefully you can patch it up some. I did this to a 751, the engine bay harness was stuffed, i managed to re-wire the aux and park brake, saved me buying a harness for them too.
You will have a big job a head of you. I looked at one years back that was nasty. I figured worst case, i could get it going, but not like factory. You still have the mechanicals, engine, pump/valves/culinders etc so that can be run without a computer. The safety devices would be disabled though.
One thing i suggest you do is to pull everything down and clean out the oil. The tube lines if they got hot enough will have carbon from the oil in them. Clean that out or it gets into the pump and motors. I pulled the lot down, cylinders, pumps, motors, valve.
We pulled the motor today, and aside from wiring, hoses and sensors, the motor looks fine. The turbo spins freely, but may put a new bearing in anyway. We also pulled out the pumps, and aside from the electrical components on the pumps, they look fine too. Oil in them look like new yet. We will be replacing all the rubber hoses, and taking out the hard lines to check them out, but other than lost paint, look OK too. The oil tank is gone, and the fuel tank has a hole in it, so they will be replaced. The killer though, is going to be the wiring harness. Everything in the cab is burned beyone repair, which means the rest of the harness is pretty much junk. The computer may be saved. It is behind a metal panel, and the plug in didn't even melt. WOOHOO for small favors. We will be draining all oil, and thanks for the tip on the hard lines.

mahans7

We pulled the motor today, and aside from wiring, hoses and sensors, the motor looks fine. The turbo spins freely, but may put a new bearing in anyway. We also pulled out the pumps, and aside from the electrical components on the pumps, they look fine too. Oil in them look like new yet. We will be replacing all the rubber hoses, and taking out the hard lines to check them out, but other than lost paint, look OK too. The oil tank is gone, and the fuel tank has a hole in it, so they will be replaced. The killer though, is going to be the wiring harness. Everything in the cab is burned beyone repair, which means the rest of the harness is pretty much junk. The computer may be saved. It is behind a metal panel, and the plug in didn't even melt. WOOHOO for small favors. We will be draining all oil, and thanks for the tip on the hard lines.
BCjohn, we would love to see pics of your redo.