Removing Spline From Pump Shaft

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Terry

I have a 731 bobcat. Recently I removed the motor to fix some oil leaks. When the motor was removed I noticed that the spline fitted to the end of the pump was worn and I decided to replace it. The spline was secured to the pump shaft by a bolt, a washer and a key. I removed the bolt and washer, I could not budge the key or the spline. My question is, does anyone know any simple method of removing the spline from the pump shaft?

Tazza

Staff member
To remove it you need a puller. The shaft end is a taper fit and when its locked in its really hard to get it to pop free. I used a puller and tightened it up and struck the end of the pullers bolt to shock the spline free. Its on really tight but it will come free. The hardest part is getting the puller legs in behind the spline, some are a little thick to fit.
Good luck

OP
OP
T

Terry

To remove it you need a puller. The shaft end is a taper fit and when its locked in its really hard to get it to pop free. I used a puller and tightened it up and struck the end of the pullers bolt to shock the spline free. Its on really tight but it will come free. The hardest part is getting the puller legs in behind the spline, some are a little thick to fit.
Good luck
Tazza I have 3 different types of mechanical pullers and none of them would fit between the spline and the pump but I will try again.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza I have 3 different types of mechanical pullers and none of them would fit between the spline and the pump but I will try again.
I think i had to grind the legs to get them to fit..... If you can buy a cheap puller or even just the legs so it doesn't matter that you have to grind them down.

OP
OP
T

Terry

I think i had to grind the legs to get them to fit..... If you can buy a cheap puller or even just the legs so it doesn't matter that you have to grind them down.
Thanks Tazza that exactly what I will do.