removing 773 engine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mdurbahn

Hi, I am getting ready to remove the engine (v2203) from a 199x 773 C series bobcat and was wondering if there are any how tos or pictures posted on the best ways to do it? Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
No real how to, but in the manual it shows a jig you can make to balance it, but it's not REALLY needed.
Pull the pump and motor as one unit, 4 engine mounts, a few hydraulic hoses, wires etc and it's out.

Bswwood

As Tazza said pull the whole skid. Its much easier than it looks. First thing I always do is pressure wash the hell out of the engine bay and raise the cab and wash the pump section best you can. Go to bobcatpartsonline.com for reference if needed for mounts, hoses and such. When pulling the skid I usually hook a chain to engine lifting eyes, this is where you will hook your hoist, chain will have to be tight because not much room to raise hoist. Run a ratchet strap from chain or hoist over engine and hook to pump section, this will help balance the unit for removal. The hardest part will probably removing the exhaust without damaging it. Be careful removing the 4 bolts for the exhaust pipe to manifold, use heat, they will break and not fun to get out. When the skid is out go ahead and remove the fuel tank and clean under and around it, you wont believe how much crap can get under there. I usually go ahead and replace pulley side pump shaft seal and pump steering shaft seals while its out. On the back of the engine you should have a coolant pipe that connects to a 90 degree elbow, don't forget to replace that while its out. You may also want to replace engine mounts as the rubber is usually in bad shape. In the shop it takes a little over an hour to remove the whole power unit, your first time will probably take about 3 hours if you have all the tools you need.