Remove cage on side windows

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I'd like to remove a section of the cage to improve visibility. I don't drive my machine in the woods or anything like that. What is the cleanest way to get this done?

The section I'd like to remove is outlined in red.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0898.jpeg
    IMG_0898.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 128

mrbb

I could be wrong,. but doesn't that whole screen panel come off with a few bolts??
why not just un bolt it, rather than ruining it by cutting a section out of it??(on my NH they all are set up this way, , its also has to be removed to clean window, which is a pain, but its not that bad a deal I'd want to ruin them by cutting them up) if its welded on in any place, just grind the welds off, so it can be removed, I cannot see them being needed for structure support

IF set on cutting, I gather a grinding wheel in an angle grinder would work,(be even easier to do if you remove to cut , but sure it can be done in place on machine just be harder to smooth edges afterwards if left on to cut)

but I wouldn;t ruin then if they can be taken off, but your machine your call!

brdgbldr

I'd like to remove a section of the cage to improve visibility. I don't drive my machine in the woods or anything like that. What is the cleanest way to get this done?

Thoughts?
I personally would not remove that just for resale value but it is your machine.

I would use a grinder with a cutoff wheel. If you have glass behind it, and don't want to remove it first, slide a piece of wood or steel between the glass and the cage to keep from damaging the glass.

Do it as neatly as possible and keep the grid so you can have it welded back on if needed in the future.

mrbb

OK< well, in that case I think I would MAKE them so they could be removed, and re installed later if wanted too
over just cutting out section of them
looks like all that would be needed is to again cut welds holding and add tabs that things can be bolted on

Guess it was a poor design my OEM to have them un removable IMO<
But thats what I would do, as stated to NOT destroy resale value, or worse in this crazy world we live in, if you sold it, and some jacka$$ got hurt, and sued you or tries too for removing safety gear!
a shame we have to think this way, but, some folks will try and greedy lawyers are out there will take things on and worse yet, many win too, removing safety gear is always a tricky road to go down in todays world, where NOTHING seem to ever be anyone's OWN fault! no matter how dumb they are or what they do

mapo

Thoughts?
I have a 2012 jd and mine unbolt. In your picture it looks like I see 3 of the 4 (I think, it's been awhile ) bolts. I don't remember if they show or are covered on the inside.

OP
OP
wifi_guy
I could be wrong,. but doesn't that whole screen panel come off with a few bolts??
why not just un bolt it, rather than ruining it by cutting a section out of it??(on my NH they all are set up this way, , its also has to be removed to clean window, which is a pain, but its not that bad a deal I'd want to ruin them by cutting them up) if its welded on in any place, just grind the welds off, so it can be removed, I cannot see them being needed for structure support

IF set on cutting, I gather a grinding wheel in an angle grinder would work,(be even easier to do if you remove to cut , but sure it can be done in place on machine just be harder to smooth edges afterwards if left on to cut)

but I wouldn;t ruin then if they can be taken off, but your machine your call!A
Again, the screen does not come off with a few bolts, it's all one piece that is a part of the cab.

I already started removing one side. I'll send some pictures when it's 100% done. I don't know why this is a such a huge deal for some people. ASV has been doing this for years. Bobcat even has a machine with a portion of this screen gone. I will say this, with the portion that I have removed, it really opens up the interior of the cab. Feels less enclosed and visibility is much better. Cleaning the windows has just become much easier as well.

My oscillating multitool with a metal bit worked the best.

Attachments

• IMG_0916.jpeg
    IMG_0916.jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
wifi_guy
I have a 2012 jd and mine unbolt. In your picture it looks like I see 3 of the 4 (I think, it's been awhile ) bolts. I don't remember if they show or are covered on the inside.
Those bolts you are referring to hold the window frame in place. The screen is physically part of the top of the cab.

OP
OP
wifi_guy
Alright ladies and gents, I got the cages removed. I painted the cut portions to hopefully help with any future rusting and I added a rubber edge around the window more for looks than anything else. It really opens the cab up. Looking down towards the tracks is much easier than it was. All in all, I like it.

Next up, window tint to help with the sun. I probably won't go super aggressive just something to take glare off during snow removal times.

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpeg
    IMG_0928.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0929.jpeg
    IMG_0929.jpeg
    593.8 KB · Views: 110

Latest posts