Rattle on left hand side

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mikel

The Mustang 2060 has developed a rattle on the left hand side of late. It doesn't seem to have arrested the movement of the machine either forwards or in reverse and the rattle / noise appears to be more pronounced at lower speeds. Any ideas what could be wrong? The chain case is the first port of call I guess...

Tazza

Staff member
My thoughts would be possibly the chain is dragging inside the chain case. Some have a guide to help prevent the slapping noise.

OP
OP
M

mikel

Perhaps check your wheel bearings for play to.
Ken
Thanks gents. I guess either problem would involve propping it up and opening the casing? In either case, is it serious or a cause for immediate action? As a newbie, I don't know too much about their maintenance.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks gents. I guess either problem would involve propping it up and opening the casing? In either case, is it serious or a cause for immediate action? As a newbie, I don't know too much about their maintenance.
Checking the bearings/axles is pretty simple. Jack it up so all four wheels are off the ground and pull the tyre/hub back and forth, there should be no play here. Try lifting it up, if should not move here either.
On each side, the tyres will move a limited amount till they stop. Each tyre should turn the same amount before they stop on the same side. If they rotate more, the chains may have stretched.

wirenut

Checking the bearings/axles is pretty simple. Jack it up so all four wheels are off the ground and pull the tyre/hub back and forth, there should be no play here. Try lifting it up, if should not move here either.
On each side, the tyres will move a limited amount till they stop. Each tyre should turn the same amount before they stop on the same side. If they rotate more, the chains may have stretched.
hey tazza, could you further explain yourself? Just bought a 2044........whats the best way to jack up so all four are off the ground.........any bad places to place a floor jack and stands? thanks for helping a greenhorn

Tazza

Staff member
hey tazza, could you further explain yourself? Just bought a 2044........whats the best way to jack up so all four are off the ground.........any bad places to place a floor jack and stands? thanks for helping a greenhorn
I always put them under the axle tubes. Its balanced that way.