Question about removing water in hydros....

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

scsindust

A hose broke while a friend was using my T190 a few days ago. I gave him a container oil to top it off to get it back on the trailer. After he brought it back, he told me there was some water in the oil from the container. I don't know why he still used it, but he did. So I fixed the hose and added about 5 gallons of fluid back into the machine. The fluid is still kinda milky. I was going to hook up the 'out' aux line and drain as much out as I could and refill the res. I know this won't get rid of all the water. Is this the best way to do it? Does a little water hurt anything? I don't mind draining it a few times, but I realize all the water won't come out. Any ideas or suggestions?

Tazza

Staff member
Water will do damage.
Drain the oil out your aux lines as you said, run at idle and run it till it howls and splutters. Shut off and re-fill and give the machine a bit or a run cycling the lift arms end to end. I would do this a few times to flush the system and replace the filter. Its the only way to get most of the water out.
I think you can get filters with moisture absorbers, but i don't think these come from bobcat though.

TriHonu

Water will do damage.
Drain the oil out your aux lines as you said, run at idle and run it till it howls and splutters. Shut off and re-fill and give the machine a bit or a run cycling the lift arms end to end. I would do this a few times to flush the system and replace the filter. Its the only way to get most of the water out.
I think you can get filters with moisture absorbers, but i don't think these come from bobcat though.
Tazza is absolutely correct. Wire drawing is the effect of molecules of metal being torn away from surfaces by molecules of a liquid traveling at high velocities. Oil has a low Wire Drawing effect, however water will rapidly wear away sharp edges on pump gears and housings, edges of spools and vanes. All these metal particles will then circulate and continue to further wear the system.
Modern hydraulic fluids have anit-emulsifying agents which will help the water separate from the oil. The water will settle to the bottom of the tank and all other low areas.
You might want to drain the tank after the machine has been sitting long enough for the water to settle. You can remove one of the small lines at the bottom of the tank. No sense in pumping the settled water through the system again.

Latest posts