Pump removal from M444

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

SlagKing

I am helping a friend rebuild/restore his M444. To pull the engine out we need to remove the pump from the crankshaft. We have taken out the bolts and nuts that hold the mounting plate and the high pressure line off the pump. The problem we are having is the pump will not release from the coupler. I am understandting that the pump and the coupler is a splined fit. My question is.....Is there any type of set screw in the pump/coupler spline fitting? We are using penatrating oil and lightly tapping on the pump with rubber hammer and wood block to hopefully release the pump from the coupler if it is only rust-held. Thanks for look'n. Engine is twin Onan. Tom

OP
OP
S

SlagKing

I guess that nobody has had to remove a hydraulic pump off the crank of a twin Onan. Well, I have now and this is what I had to do. We used a tie rod removal fork between the pump and the coupler and with several strikes (4) the pump popped off the crank and the engine is now removed. So there you go. Tom

Tazza

Staff member
I guess that nobody has had to remove a hydraulic pump off the crank of a twin Onan. Well, I have now and this is what I had to do. We used a tie rod removal fork between the pump and the coupler and with several strikes (4) the pump popped off the crank and the engine is now removed. So there you go. Tom
Glad you sorted it out. You were lucky the taper hadn't rusted the pump to the motor! some of those tapers are murder to get them to seperate.