please help!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bignbadbelair

I have a mustang well its a owatonna 441 made my OMC. It has a 4 cylinder diesel motor in it. (I am guessing a perkins diesel motor). Can anyone give me any info on this machine? what kind of motor where to get parts also what to look up to find parts for this motor (I tried to look up perkins diesel motors but cant figure out what one is in my machine). any help would be very very helpful. I am very new to these and i know its a old skid steer so i know its going to be hard to find information on it. I tried to get it running and installed a electric lift pump and got flow into injection pump but comming out of injection pump to injectors dont seem like enough of fuel. it will smoke and kick over when you turn it over but not enough fuel for it to start. (the machine ran before parked and then sat for 5 or 6 years). I am guessing it has somethign to do with injectiompump. but have no clue about it or where to find info about it. also is there anyother mustang skidloader forums to join along with this one?

Rookie

Try some fresh fuel. Sounds like you need to bleed the fuel system. The amount of fuel you get at the injectors will be measured in milliliters (ml) which isn't very much at all. There should be a nameplate on the engine somewhere. What color is the engine? There should also be a nameplate on the fuel injection pump. Any other nameplate/part number data might be helpful.

Rookie

Try some fresh fuel. Sounds like you need to bleed the fuel system. The amount of fuel you get at the injectors will be measured in milliliters (ml) which isn't very much at all. There should be a nameplate on the engine somewhere. What color is the engine? There should also be a nameplate on the fuel injection pump. Any other nameplate/part number data might be helpful.
You can also get a lot of Mustang parts here: http://www.goldeneagleec.com/index.htm

OP
OP
B

Bignbadbelair

You can also get a lot of Mustang parts here: http://www.goldeneagleec.com/index.htm
The motor itself is red in color. i am getting fuel to injectors (took 2 injector lines off and can see like 2 drips or maybe 3 come out each injector line when turning it over) but wen hook it back up it trys but just not enough to get it to run. its about 30 degrees outside also if that has anything to do with it. ill see if i can find some name plates on motor or injection pump today. thank you for your help.

Napper2

I had Mustang 441 with same Perkins diesel motor for several years. Never burned much oil but was always slow to start when cold. I messed around with the glow plugs for awhile but never seemed to help start her. I live in MN so anytime below 40-50 degrees I plugged the block heater in for a few hours and it fired right up. If I didn't have access to AC electricity I would give it a good shot of ether and away it would go.

These engine are notoriously could blooded especially as they age. They are designed to be started with ether too since OMC puts an ether can holder in the engine compartment and button in the cab for cold starts.

In my estimation I started my 441 with ether over a hundred times with no adverse effects. I don't think you can wreck these engines with reasonable ether use. The only other issue I had was a blown head gasket when I first bought it. Easy fix removed head, replace gasket, adjust valves.

Napper2

Just looked at date of this post! Looks like I wasted 10 mins of my morning. Not sure why this popped up on my forum board. Well anyway maybe someone else is still having issues with a 441.