please help with 863

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

anth1991

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I just bought a 863 turbo bobcat. It has been sitting for a while but it does run. The problem is it blows white smoke and knocks. It has the 4cyl deutz 1011 engine but i am lost and have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated

Bobcatdan

Is the engine sideways on that one or straight if the latter don't run bad ujoints could be it and can cost more than worth if they go
The engine needs to be inspected. White smoks can mean the engine is running really lean. Could be a lot of water in the fuel to get white smoke, but I kinda doubt that. At 3200, if it hasn't been down, the timing belt needs to be done. As for the knock, it could be a combustion noise related to your lean condition. Or its bottom end and that's rebuild or replace.

Tazza

Staff member
The engine needs to be inspected. White smoks can mean the engine is running really lean. Could be a lot of water in the fuel to get white smoke, but I kinda doubt that. At 3200, if it hasn't been down, the timing belt needs to be done. As for the knock, it could be a combustion noise related to your lean condition. Or its bottom end and that's rebuild or replace.
BobcatDan makes good points. I would check that the turbo is not stuck too, if it's not free to move, there may not be enough air for the fuel being injected causing lots of smoke.
I'm not loving the knocking sound, hopefully it is just due to the fuel.
Get a pressure gauge on the oil pressure sender hole. The knock could be a bad bearing/low oil pressure.

OP
OP
A

anth1991

BobcatDan makes good points. I would check that the turbo is not stuck too, if it's not free to move, there may not be enough air for the fuel being injected causing lots of smoke.
I'm not loving the knocking sound, hopefully it is just due to the fuel.
Get a pressure gauge on the oil pressure sender hole. The knock could be a bad bearing/low oil pressure.
I was able to mess with it a little... the turbo does spin but i found that the intake manifold and the turbo wheel had traces of oil. Is that normal?

Flip57

I was able to mess with it a little... the turbo does spin but i found that the intake manifold and the turbo wheel had traces of oil. Is that normal?
I had a similar issue with my 863 about a year ago. The engine would lose power and RPM with grey smoke coming out of the exhaust. Turned out the fuel pump was getting weak. I changed out the fuel pump and it cured the problem.

OP
OP
A

anth1991

I had a similar issue with my 863 about a year ago. The engine would lose power and RPM with grey smoke coming out of the exhaust. Turned out the fuel pump was getting weak. I changed out the fuel pump and it cured the problem.
Did it also have a slight engine knock

Flip57

Yes. It sounded pretty bad for as simple of a fix as it was.
You might try pulling the plastic cover off of the pump. That is the strainer screen. Check it for debris then clean it and change the o ring. see if it helps. It didn't help me. When I squeezed the primer bulb, I still had diesel leaking out at that cap and could not get it to stop so I changed the pump.

Flip57

Yes. It sounded pretty bad for as simple of a fix as it was.
You might try pulling off the plastic cap and check the strainer screen for depris. I did that but still had diesel leaking out of there when I would squeeze the primer bulb so I changed out the whole pump and that fixed it.

Latest posts