Perkins Engines

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Chris611

Hey guys, I have posted here a couple of other times about used skid steers. I am still looking. I am interested in finding out what you guys think about Perkins diesels. I am looking at one with a 4.108 engine in it. I found a skid steer that has this engine and the only info I have is "it doesn't run" It was a trade and came in not running. I haven't had a chance to look it over, mostly because I'm 300 miles away from the unit. I think the Bobcat 800 & 825 used this engine at some time. Is there anything that typically fails on these? How are they to work on? I see that there are a lot of these and other Perkins engines used for sail boat engines, so I am assuming there are parts around? If I can get to the unit and look at it, what test would help diagnose... compression is one that comes to mind. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chris

farmboy55

all I know about the perkins is that Massy Fergason (i know it's not spell right) used it in some farm tractor's. If you happen to have a MF tractor dealer in your area you may ck with them.

dkveuro

Massey used them about 25 years ago in the UK . The engines are concidered bullit proof as long as you don't overheat them...they run all day at 80% load. I have worked on them fitted to construction equipment, road vehicles... Land Rovers...boats, fork lifts and the odd taxis. They need to be carefully filled with 60% long life antifreeze all year. If you plan to keep it, I would do an oil analysis and change the oil as often as you can afford or at least every 50 hours....this is equal to about 3000 miles on a road vehicle. I was at the factory in Peterborough some time ago to load engines for Italy....very interesting place.....also had Perkins powered 16 tonners at BRS where I worked for 3 years....reliable, but underpowered. If you think they are noisy...you need to listen to a Ford industrial 4 cylinder diesel !!