Paint hydraulic tubes?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dsmithson

What's the best way to clean or restore hydraulic tubes. The tubes have to come out, do they make a paint, or should I wire wheel them. They are steer and have light rust.

flyerdan

I assume you meant steel with rust; cleaning them up with a wire wheel and maybe some scotchbrite disks to get the surface rust off. As you probably know, cleaning all the hydraulic fluid off is key to a good paint success, so wiping down with an inexpensive lacquer thinner or acetone should do it.
Of course eye those rust spots carefully; if you have any deep pitting that can result in pinhole leaks the time do deal with them is while it's all apart.

Tazza

Staff member
I assume you meant steel with rust; cleaning them up with a wire wheel and maybe some scotchbrite disks to get the surface rust off. As you probably know, cleaning all the hydraulic fluid off is key to a good paint success, so wiping down with an inexpensive lacquer thinner or acetone should do it.
Of course eye those rust spots carefully; if you have any deep pitting that can result in pinhole leaks the time do deal with them is while it's all apart.
I used a wire wheel on my rusty lines then gave a good clean with thinners before painting.
I also welded up any contact points that wore, i used an oxy torch and bronze rod. These poitns had not worn through, but they were out, so i buiilt them up anyway to prevent it happening later.

OP
OP
D

dsmithson

Thanks, I painted one tonight, it turned out good, I didnt use the laquer thinner, but will on the next batch, I did use a wire wheel and engine enamel rated for 500 degrees, looks 100 percent better.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks, I painted one tonight, it turned out good, I didnt use the laquer thinner, but will on the next batch, I did use a wire wheel and engine enamel rated for 500 degrees, looks 100 percent better.
Awesome, glad it worked.
Any extra protetion is a plus.