Owatonna 330

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DaveB

I got this Owatonna 330 2 weeks ago. The serial number is 5729. The charging system does not work. Is the generator part of the starter or is it elsewhere? Does anyone know what year this may be? And last but not least. I get a shudder thru the machine once in awhille, I am sure it is low on fluid but don't know what it uses. Can anyone help me? Thanks..

OldMachinist

It has an Onan 2 cyl. Thanks
The Onan engines have a permanent magnet flywheel alternator and solid state voltage regulator. It has a stator mounted to th engine behind the flywheel and magnets bonded to the inside of the flywheel. If your regulator has three terminals all in a row then its a 15 amp system, if it has two terminals in one row and another one above them then its a 20 amp.
Testing is as follows
1)Connect a DC voltmeter to the battery with the engine running and measure the voltage it should be 13.6-14.7 after running 3-5 mins. If voltage is low check for a good conection between regulator B+ terminal and battery + post and regulator case and battery - post.
2) Disconnect the plug from the regulator and check AC voltage from from stator with engine running near 3600 RPM. 15 amp should be 40-60 VAC, 20 amp 31-51 VAC. If good and DC volts are low replace regulator.
3) To test the stator connect a ohmmeter to the two wires coming from the stator without the engine running and read the resistance. 15 amp should be 0.1-.02 ohms and 20 amp 0.3-0.5 ohms. Check each wire for short to ground. If stator is good and AC volts are low then the flywheel has lost magnetism and has to be replaced.

Hope this helps.