oversize tires and tracks on 773g

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

I have the above loader with the std 10.5 x 16.5 tires and steel tracks. I was wondering if anyone has ever run 12.5 by 16.5 tires and tracks or any other oversized tires with tracks. I'm drilling fence post holes in soft ground and need more floatation. Loss of some forward power wold not be a concern (a result of the larger tire diameter). The other situation that a tall (but narrow) tire would be good is for snow removal. I drove a 773 g with the 12.5 tires and a tree spade on it and the ground speed was noticably faster, (maybe 9mph instead of 7) and usually the traction is to poor to notice the loss of power. Of course the std tire would be better for applications where you need to push hard. I'd love a dedicated track loader too, but with people changing under cariages at 1000 hrs or so, I think I'll stick with tires for a while yet. ken

Yenko

Iam having the same deli-ma I have a new set of 12 - 16.5 tires and wheels and just traded for a machine with like new 10's. I figured it would mph faster and add an 1.5 of ground clearance .The loss of power is what I would like to know from someone that has tried it. Ive read a turbo gives 8-12 more horsepower so would it run like a regular 773?? I can solve both our problems, What are your tracks worth? Lets swap and you give us your feed back and then I wont be slipping/sliding around cleaning around my pond.

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Iam having the same deli-ma I have a new set of 12 - 16.5 tires and wheels and just traded for a machine with like new 10's. I figured it would mph faster and add an 1.5 of ground clearance .The loss of power is what I would like to know from someone that has tried it. Ive read a turbo gives 8-12 more horsepower so would it run like a regular 773?? I can solve both our problems, What are your tracks worth? Lets swap and you give us your feed back and then I wont be slipping/sliding around cleaning around my pond.
I don't know if this would be the thing to do for general bucket work, dozing digging etc where you need to push hard. I think it would be ok without tracks on the tall tires for this type of work. I know tracks on the 10" tires pretty much double the pushing power you have to fill the bucket. (Without them you spin a hole under each tire and you stop. With them you dig a trench on each side from the front to the back tire if you keep spinning, but generally it is alot easier to avoid wheel spin) Would likely heat your drive oil more because it would take more pump pressure to generate the same amount of pushing power. Bobcat has a good oil cooer though, so if your not in a desert climate, or working at max power a high percentage of the time, I think it would be fine. Would be great for auger work, tree spading, etc where axel torque required to acomplish the job is lower. I almost never remove my tacks in the summer, unless I work on concrete, In the winter i only run them for brushing snowmobile trails, I find tire chains on the back works better for most jobs. (tracks really have to be snug to keep the tires from spinng inside the tracks in the winter, and even in wet muck in the summer, in gravel or dryer dirk they can be quite loose.) I don't know if tracks will clear on a 773 with 12" tires, I know the tires will. Are your tires mounted on rims? I carry the tracks plus line of steel tracks, but would have to bring in a set of 12" ones to try this out. New 10" tracks run @ 1000.00 plus freight out of Milwaulki and generally last @ 1000 hrs. How far are your from 56623 Baudette Mn? I'm just across the border in Ontario. Ken

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

I don't know if this would be the thing to do for general bucket work, dozing digging etc where you need to push hard. I think it would be ok without tracks on the tall tires for this type of work. I know tracks on the 10" tires pretty much double the pushing power you have to fill the bucket. (Without them you spin a hole under each tire and you stop. With them you dig a trench on each side from the front to the back tire if you keep spinning, but generally it is alot easier to avoid wheel spin) Would likely heat your drive oil more because it would take more pump pressure to generate the same amount of pushing power. Bobcat has a good oil cooer though, so if your not in a desert climate, or working at max power a high percentage of the time, I think it would be fine. Would be great for auger work, tree spading, etc where axel torque required to acomplish the job is lower. I almost never remove my tacks in the summer, unless I work on concrete, In the winter i only run them for brushing snowmobile trails, I find tire chains on the back works better for most jobs. (tracks really have to be snug to keep the tires from spinng inside the tracks in the winter, and even in wet muck in the summer, in gravel or dryer dirk they can be quite loose.) I don't know if tracks will clear on a 773 with 12" tires, I know the tires will. Are your tires mounted on rims? I carry the tracks plus line of steel tracks, but would have to bring in a set of 12" ones to try this out. New 10" tracks run @ 1000.00 plus freight out of Milwaulki and generally last @ 1000 hrs. How far are your from 56623 Baudette Mn? I'm just across the border in Ontario. Ken
I guess if you measured the circumfrence of each tire, the devided 100 by the circumfrence of the 10" tires and multiplied it the circumfrence of the larger, it would tell you the percentage of overdrive with the larger tire, and that would also be the % of torque reduction to the tire. Ken

Yenko

I guess if you measured the circumfrence of each tire, the devided 100 by the circumfrence of the 10" tires and multiplied it the circumfrence of the larger, it would tell you the percentage of overdrive with the larger tire, and that would also be the % of torque reduction to the tire. Ken
I did try them on my 773 and they look mean. I do not know enough about the tracks to know if they would clear. It would be a shame to just let my 10s lay around and use the the 12s. The 10s should last me for a while I would think (Homeowner use only) The 12s are NEW never had any forward movement Caterpillar 10 ply rimgard 12-16.5 on new cat yellow 8 hole rims with valve stem guards titan 11/16. they weigh 135# each. I do need to get rid of them might make a post in the for sale forum.

bobbie-g

I did try them on my 773 and they look mean. I do not know enough about the tracks to know if they would clear. It would be a shame to just let my 10s lay around and use the the 12s. The 10s should last me for a while I would think (Homeowner use only) The 12s are NEW never had any forward movement Caterpillar 10 ply rimgard 12-16.5 on new cat yellow 8 hole rims with valve stem guards titan 11/16. they weigh 135# each. I do need to get rid of them might make a post in the for sale forum.
Yenko, email me and we'llchat about the tires/wheels. [email protected] --- Bob

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Yenko Tracks are about a inch thick and probably require at least 1 more inch of clearance between the track and frame. There should also be @ 3" between the inside sidewall and the frame. How much room is there on your machine?

Yenko

Yenko Tracks are about a inch thick and probably require at least 1 more inch of clearance between the track and frame. There should also be @ 3" between the inside sidewall and the frame. How much room is there on your machine?
Looks like it would be fine inside and at the top. The front where the boom comes down is what would worry me looked pretty close, then add the tracks? I stopped by the dealer to look at a used pair of tracks for 10's. He showed me the new style of rubber tracks they now have in stock. He had no opinion on them yet. He has not sold a pair to get any feedback. 2775.00 and 320.00 for a set of spacers that are required. Way out of my league. I thought I could find a pair of used steel tracks for around 1000.00.

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Looks like it would be fine inside and at the top. The front where the boom comes down is what would worry me looked pretty close, then add the tracks? I stopped by the dealer to look at a used pair of tracks for 10's. He showed me the new style of rubber tracks they now have in stock. He had no opinion on them yet. He has not sold a pair to get any feedback. 2775.00 and 320.00 for a set of spacers that are required. Way out of my league. I thought I could find a pair of used steel tracks for around 1000.00.
You can get new ones for around 1000.00 plus freight, in the Tracksplus.com brand. They may not be a heavy duty as the logeuring or grouser brands, but are still a good track for 1/2 the money. Probably no more cost per hour, at 1/2 the investment. You may need boom stops (for more loader clearance), the older 753, 853 used to have them, not sure on the 773. You only need wheel spacers if you don't have 3" between the side wall and the frame. Jus my $.02 Ken

Yenko

You can get new ones for around 1000.00 plus freight, in the Tracksplus.com brand. They may not be a heavy duty as the logeuring or grouser brands, but are still a good track for 1/2 the money. Probably no more cost per hour, at 1/2 the investment. You may need boom stops (for more loader clearance), the older 753, 853 used to have them, not sure on the 773. You only need wheel spacers if you don't have 3" between the side wall and the frame. Jus my $.02 Ken
Thanks for the web Addy. I did find a few places last night on the web that were around the 1000.00 range and 500.00 for some cheep looking ones. A used set of logeuring on eBay for 1200.00 so it pays to look around.

goodtech

Thanks for the web Addy. I did find a few places last night on the web that were around the 1000.00 range and 500.00 for some cheep looking ones. A used set of logeuring on eBay for 1200.00 so it pays to look around.
Hey guys, I read in one of blurps above that someone said they want to put a turbo on there unit for more horsepwer. BIG NO kubotas have there turbo version and there none turbo version and the difference bewteen the two is compression, you throw a turbo on a non turbo engine I guarantee that you will not a have an engine left it will bend those rods so fast it will make your head spin, so if want you can but the turbo version engine and install it.

Tazza

Staff member
Hey guys, I read in one of blurps above that someone said they want to put a turbo on there unit for more horsepwer. BIG NO kubotas have there turbo version and there none turbo version and the difference bewteen the two is compression, you throw a turbo on a non turbo engine I guarantee that you will not a have an engine left it will bend those rods so fast it will make your head spin, so if want you can but the turbo version engine and install it.
I was actually going to ask that same question, i was considering throwing a turbo on my V1702 only if the machine felt like it needed a bit more grunt, but now it looks like i will leave it all alone. I don't need to blow up an engine that just cost me 2,500.

753g

I was actually going to ask that same question, i was considering throwing a turbo on my V1702 only if the machine felt like it needed a bit more grunt, but now it looks like i will leave it all alone. I don't need to blow up an engine that just cost me 2,500.
Goodtech I was only kidding on that part. There's no way a turbo will fit in a 753 the wheel base is too short, placing the fan over the exhaust manifold and in the way of said turbocharger. That's why I went ahead and installed a Nx Express sleeper kit with 50hp shot on my machine. All the extra ponies i need at the puch of a button.

753g

Goodtech I was only kidding on that part. There's no way a turbo will fit in a 753 the wheel base is too short, placing the fan over the exhaust manifold and in the way of said turbocharger. That's why I went ahead and installed a Nx Express sleeper kit with 50hp shot on my machine. All the extra ponies i need at the puch of a button.
j/k I like my machine in running condition.

Tazza

Staff member
j/k I like my machine in running condition.
hehe
Like a mate of mine said to turbo it so i lift a bucket of dirt "psst" drop the dirt "psst" but he does love his turbo cars.
The other side of it is that it will use more fuel too.