ott tracks -- replacing bolts/bushings

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kfin

I am looking at a used set of grouser ott bar tracks tonight. I want to check and see how much life is left in the bolts/bushings/links but need some guidance. What should I look for? Is the bolt supposed to be snug in the bushing? Is the bushing supposed to be snug in the link between pads? How much play is acceptable before they need replacing? Thanks for any advice. They are priced really good but not if everything needs to be replaced. Keith

OldMachinist

I just measured a new set of Grouser parts I have and the bolts have .015"-.020" clearance in the bushing and the bushing has the same in the link. Bolts and bushings come in set for about $3. a piece and the links are around $7. http://www.grouserparts.com/ I've not seen anything published by Grouser that says what the wear limits are.

OP
OP
K

kfin

I just measured a new set of Grouser parts I have and the bolts have .015"-.020" clearance in the bushing and the bushing has the same in the link. Bolts and bushings come in set for about $3. a piece and the links are around $7. http://www.grouserparts.com/ I've not seen anything published by Grouser that says what the wear limits are.
Thanks OM, that is great to know. Does anybody have any thoughts on what clearance you would replace any of the pieces? Keith

Land-Tech

Thanks OM, that is great to know. Does anybody have any thoughts on what clearance you would replace any of the pieces? Keith
On all my Grouser tracks the bolt always wears instead of the bushing and I usually wear the tracks out before the bushing have any significant wear. Stay away from super hard bolts if you buy other than the manafacture
I wouldn't worry too much about the ott tracks because they can get very sloppy and still work just fine.When they wear enough to loosen up, just adjust them tighter or take a pad out. I change the bolt every two years because they start breaking.