OMC 440 Hydrostatic (1971 model)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

statzk

I just got this skid steer- I first thought it was a Case (yellow). The story on this machine is it was free if I came and hauled it away. It ran 9 years ago but got backed into a fence and destroyed the radiator. They already had a new Bobcat so this one was parked. A year or two later someone came along and claimed they could fix it- they took off a bunch of stuff (radiator, rear radiator cover, air cleaner, muffler)- basically everything that was damaged by the fence. They were never seen or heard from again... Fast forward 8 years and the new owners of the place want to clean up and know I tinker with stuff so they said I could have it if I hauled it away. It is now in my yard (waiting for me to clear up some shop space)- It has a Ford Commercial motor, and until I found the MFG plate on it yesterday I knew nothing other than the above about this little tractor. I have been wanting a skid steer to use around our horse farm so I want to make it run. It needs the above mentioned parts (rear cover I can fabricate). I know OMC is now Mustang- Anyone know if there are any other radiators I can use or should I just measure the opening and go to the Junkyard/radiator shop and find one?

OP
OP
S

statzk

Also, now that I know what I have, anyone know where I can get a service manual for it? Want to start working on it this weekend, mostly just cleaning out all the dirt and leaves, see what exactly I have... My friend who restores old cars suggests I just put oil in each plug hole, clean the distributor and turn over by hand and see if it will turn. If it does, clean out the carb and see if it will start... Granted this would be after much cleaning and inspecting and changing of fluids. My largest concern right now is I know nothing- like the two tanks on the frame, are they both gas or what? There is a canister (looks like a filter) on the rear bulkhead up top that looks like it may be an air cleaner, but nothing remains of what would be used to connect it to the carb.

Tazza

Staff member
Also, now that I know what I have, anyone know where I can get a service manual for it? Want to start working on it this weekend, mostly just cleaning out all the dirt and leaves, see what exactly I have... My friend who restores old cars suggests I just put oil in each plug hole, clean the distributor and turn over by hand and see if it will turn. If it does, clean out the carb and see if it will start... Granted this would be after much cleaning and inspecting and changing of fluids. My largest concern right now is I know nothing- like the two tanks on the frame, are they both gas or what? There is a canister (looks like a filter) on the rear bulkhead up top that looks like it may be an air cleaner, but nothing remains of what would be used to connect it to the carb.
I'd look around to see what radiators may fit from an old car. How does it force air though it? even a radiator and thermo fan setup from a car will work too, as you'll have the housing with the fans to draw air though the radiator.
I'd change the thermostat and water pump too. At least check the water pump for corrosion.
You technically can rig up hoses and a bucket of water as a make shift radiator, not that it will do any cooling, it will allow you to warm the engine up for short periods of time. I have done this before, just don't run it too long, it gets warm pretty fast, under 5 minutes on a 3 cylinder Kubota i fiddled with.

OP
OP
S

statzk

I'd look around to see what radiators may fit from an old car. How does it force air though it? even a radiator and thermo fan setup from a car will work too, as you'll have the housing with the fans to draw air though the radiator.
I'd change the thermostat and water pump too. At least check the water pump for corrosion.
You technically can rig up hoses and a bucket of water as a make shift radiator, not that it will do any cooling, it will allow you to warm the engine up for short periods of time. I have done this before, just don't run it too long, it gets warm pretty fast, under 5 minutes on a 3 cylinder Kubota i fiddled with.
The tractor has a Ford motor in it, I believe it is a Ford 2.2 (Pinto motor?) complete with fan, fanbelt and alternator. rigging up a radiator will probably be pretty cheap as I can probably find a JY one that will fit in the opening and fab up mounts for it. The bucket idea would work too if I can't find one by the time I'm ready to start it up.

OP
OP
S

statzk

The tractor has a Ford motor in it, I believe it is a Ford 2.2 (Pinto motor?) complete with fan, fanbelt and alternator. rigging up a radiator will probably be pretty cheap as I can probably find a JY one that will fit in the opening and fab up mounts for it. The bucket idea would work too if I can't find one by the time I'm ready to start it up.
Good idea on the water pump- thermostat will be replaced, water pump depends on how much they cost- if cheap then I will just replace, if they are expensive for this engine I will pull it and check for issues and only replace if it needs it. Gotta clean out my shop from the last project in there and move it inside on Saturday. Should be a fun project- I hope to have it running in about a month (or at least determine if the motor will run without a complete rebuild/replacement). I figure I can use it this summer and in the fall once all the bugs are worked out for a paint job/makeover.