Older Machines Float

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Farmallh51

So I have been wondering what the procedure is to make an older machine go into Float? My 450 Floats from time to time but I do not have an operators manual and I am not sure what the procedure is to make the machine Float. I know my 440B did the same thing and you would think after so many years of owning bobcats I would have figured it out, but I have not. I am sure many here on the forum know how to make the Float work. Thank you!

SkidRoe

Thank you! I have been pushing it down but not hard enough to get it to lock. If I push it down it kind of floated now if i push hard I have true Float. Anyone know when the pedal float was changed?
According to the Bobcat parts catalog, float was optional on the 4XX series machines. For a 450, you would need to add it with kit p/n 6816719.
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
Farmallh51

Farmallh51

According to the Bobcat parts catalog, float was optional on the 4XX series machines. For a 450, you would need to add it with kit p/n 6816719.
Cheers - SR
SR My 450 does have Float. I was not pushing the left pedal down hard enough to lock it down. I don't remember if I could get my 440b to float, but I believe you are correct float is optional.

SkidRoe

SR My 450 does have Float. I was not pushing the left pedal down hard enough to lock it down. I don't remember if I could get my 440b to float, but I believe you are correct float is optional.
My 440b definitely does not have float, but it looks like it would not be difficult to add based on the parts shown in the kit. I am just not sure were I would use it. It is so light in the front end, it floats on its own!!
Our old 371 did have it. I can't recall using it a lot, but then that was almost 25 years ago...
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
Farmallh51

Farmallh51

My 440b definitely does not have float, but it looks like it would not be difficult to add based on the parts shown in the kit. I am just not sure were I would use it. It is so light in the front end, it floats on its own!!
Our old 371 did have it. I can't recall using it a lot, but then that was almost 25 years ago...
Cheers - SR
I am with you...my machine like yours is very light in the front end. I was interested in the float because I bought a snow blade for this year and think float will help.

[email protected]

I am with you...my machine like yours is very light in the front end. I was interested in the float because I bought a snow blade for this year and think float will help.
float on bobcats works better going in reverse, because going forward just pushes the lift cylinders until they are bottomed out. going in reverse obviously pulls the cylinders out

SkidRoe

Does the blade have skid shoes? Along with the float, you will want to have a set of well positioned skid shoes.

OP
OP
Farmallh51

Farmallh51

Does the blade have skid shoes? Along with the float, you will want to have a set of well positioned skid shoes.
SR yes shoes are a must. The plow will be fitted with round shoes similar to full size plows that are adjustable.

Latest posts