Old pipe welder brings an old L553 back to life

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hotdogsL553

I have operated several skid steers through the years but I have never owned one. I recently located a 1987 L553. It had been sitting with the boom up and locked for a long time, how long I don't know. I now know my good luck with the boom up and locked. Since I don't have much in this skid steer, before spending a lot of money after checking the fluids, hoses and the belt installed a fresh battery. I wanted to check it out. When the glow plug preheat button was pressed the circuit breaker would trip. I manually preheated the glow plugs and after some coaching it fired up. After a little warming up I checked out all operations and it ran fine. To Do List: 1. Two of the three cylinders are pouring, repack all cylinders. 2. Change all fluids, filters, hoses and belts. 3. Repair damaged belly pan. 4. Man it needs paint bad. 5. Check out the short circuiting glow plug relay system. PS: I would post some picture but I don't know how. Thanks for this site, it has been a lot of help. Hotdog

Tazza

Staff member
If you host the pictures on somewhere like photobucket. Load them in a browser and right click copy, then right click/paste into the forum message they should appear.
Sounds like you are making good progress. Cylinders aren't too hard to do, at least you have it running!

OP
OP
hotdogsL553

hotdogsL553

If you host the pictures on somewhere like photobucket. Load them in a browser and right click copy, then right click/paste into the forum message they should appear.
Sounds like you are making good progress. Cylinders aren't too hard to do, at least you have it running!
Mr Tazza: Thanks for the info. I am a fair mechanic but it sure is fun tinkering around with something that has not been touched in a long time and making it work. After picking up the operators manual with the wiring diagram I got started on the glow plug relay. What I found was someone had the 12V power from the preheat button connected to the ground side of the starter relay, dead short and a 30 amp circuit breaker. After changing a few wires around and install the correct 15 amp circuit breaker, the glow plug preheat works correctly. Now for the pictures. I got them to photobucket, right clicked any copy but I could not get them over to here. I am not a fair computer guy. Thanks, Hotdog

OP
OP
hotdogsL553

hotdogsL553

Mr Tazza: Thanks for the info. I am a fair mechanic but it sure is fun tinkering around with something that has not been touched in a long time and making it work. After picking up the operators manual with the wiring diagram I got started on the glow plug relay. What I found was someone had the 12V power from the preheat button connected to the ground side of the starter relay, dead short and a 30 amp circuit breaker. After changing a few wires around and install the correct 15 amp circuit breaker, the glow plug preheat works correctly. Now for the pictures. I got them to photobucket, right clicked any copy but I could not get them over to here. I am not a fair computer guy. Thanks, Hotdog
All cylinders are repacked and installed. I will head to NAPA and pick up filters, fluids hoses and the belt. How do you adjust the creep? Thanks, Hotdog

Mike10

All cylinders are repacked and installed. I will head to NAPA and pick up filters, fluids hoses and the belt. How do you adjust the creep? Thanks, Hotdog
To adjust creep. Remove any attachment to the front mounting plate and raise the boom and insert the mechanical locks to hold the boom. Rasie and block the skid loader under the frame so wheels can rotate freely. Remove the seat and the front kick plate. Set your operators restraint system control module to the service position so the loader can be started without being in the seat. Start your engine and move the levers to see which way they are creeping. The adjustment is made at the shock absorber mounting plate. Looking in from the front the one on your left, (adjusts the right side of the loader), the end of the shock that is mounted to the engine. The mounting plate is slotted so just loosen the shock mounting bolt and move in the slot until the creep is eliminated. The adjustment for the the right as looking in from the front is at the front end of the shock and is a little more difficult to access because of the hoses, pumps and motors. Again loosen this mounting bolt and move the shock in the slot until the creep is gone.
I would caution against using aftermarket filters on this unit.

Tazza

Staff member
To adjust creep. Remove any attachment to the front mounting plate and raise the boom and insert the mechanical locks to hold the boom. Rasie and block the skid loader under the frame so wheels can rotate freely. Remove the seat and the front kick plate. Set your operators restraint system control module to the service position so the loader can be started without being in the seat. Start your engine and move the levers to see which way they are creeping. The adjustment is made at the shock absorber mounting plate. Looking in from the front the one on your left, (adjusts the right side of the loader), the end of the shock that is mounted to the engine. The mounting plate is slotted so just loosen the shock mounting bolt and move in the slot until the creep is eliminated. The adjustment for the the right as looking in from the front is at the front end of the shock and is a little more difficult to access because of the hoses, pumps and motors. Again loosen this mounting bolt and move the shock in the slot until the creep is gone.
I would caution against using aftermarket filters on this unit.
Look up my profile and send me an e-mail with the picture locations. I'll put them up for you.
Good to hear the glow plugs are now working.

OP
OP
hotdogsL553

hotdogsL553

Look up my profile and send me an e-mail with the picture locations. I'll put them up for you.
Good to hear the glow plugs are now working.
Mr. Mike10: Thanks for the tech info. I will try it out this coming week end. Thanks for the heads up on the filters. Mr. Tazza: I sent you an e-mail. Thank you both, Hotdog. I have removed the belt, someone installed a belt that was too narrow and the belt rides too low in all of the pulleys. I have started removing the rust and priming. I sure like working on the skid steer. Thanks, Hotdog

Tazza

Staff member
Mr. Mike10: Thanks for the tech info. I will try it out this coming week end. Thanks for the heads up on the filters. Mr. Tazza: I sent you an e-mail. Thank you both, Hotdog. I have removed the belt, someone installed a belt that was too narrow and the belt rides too low in all of the pulleys. I have started removing the rust and priming. I sure like working on the skid steer. Thanks, Hotdog
I got your e-mail, but i need direct links to the photos. From there its easy :)
Good to hear you are having fun and that things are going well.

OP
OP
hotdogsL553

hotdogsL553

I got your e-mail, but i need direct links to the photos. From there its easy :)
Good to hear you are having fun and that things are going well.
Mr. Tazza: I sent another e-mail with I think the link you need. Now I will Paul Harvey the old welder and old skid steer story. On January 29, 2011 I had a heart attack. After three stints, a hospital stay and some time sitting at home I returned to work. I will admit that I am not as good as I once was but I am not ready to give up yet. I have followed the Doctors orders to the letter and so far so good. Which brings me to the L553, when I saw the not being used skid steer I knew it needed another chance to be productive. I did not know what all it needed but maybe three stints would do the trick. Well anyway that is enough rambling. That kind of brings everyone up to speed. I will continue to up date all on my progress with the skid steer. Thank you Guys for all of the help. Hotdog

Tazza

Staff member
Mr. Tazza: I sent another e-mail with I think the link you need. Now I will Paul Harvey the old welder and old skid steer story. On January 29, 2011 I had a heart attack. After three stints, a hospital stay and some time sitting at home I returned to work. I will admit that I am not as good as I once was but I am not ready to give up yet. I have followed the Doctors orders to the letter and so far so good. Which brings me to the L553, when I saw the not being used skid steer I knew it needed another chance to be productive. I did not know what all it needed but maybe three stints would do the trick. Well anyway that is enough rambling. That kind of brings everyone up to speed. I will continue to up date all on my progress with the skid steer. Thank you Guys for all of the help. Hotdog
I'm glad you are up and moving! and its always good to keep the hands and mind busy.
I got your e-mail, and sent you another, gotta love photobucket *shakes fist at them*
If it still won't work, just e-mail me the pictures and i will host them.

Tazza

Staff member
I'm glad you are up and moving! and its always good to keep the hands and mind busy.
I got your e-mail, and sent you another, gotta love photobucket *shakes fist at them*
If it still won't work, just e-mail me the pictures and i will host them.
Here we go:
17may2011NewHollandL553002.jpg

17may2011NewHollandL553001.jpg

It doesn't look too bad at all.

OP
OP
hotdogsL553

hotdogsL553

Here we go:

It doesn't look too bad at all.
Holley smokes it doesn't look to bad on here. Mr Tazza: Thanks so much for the kind words and all of your help. I would have never gotten those pictures posted. Thanks, Hotdog

Tazza

Staff member
Holley smokes it doesn't look to bad on here. Mr Tazza: Thanks so much for the kind words and all of your help. I would have never gotten those pictures posted. Thanks, Hotdog
They do look good, no problems with putting them up :)

OP
OP
hotdogsL553

hotdogsL553

They do look good, no problems with putting them up :)
This afternoon I got started on removing the belly pans, There is about 5" of dried mud, oil, grease and other debris collected in the bottom of the engine compartment. I wonder how you are going to check for and find fluid leaks with that much junk there? The belly pan bolts really catch it, two wrang off and I had to grind the bolt heads off of three others. The front belly pan is bent up pretty bad. Looks like I get to use the rose bud. Next I will pressure wash the entire engine compartment. I did find a 6"x6"x1/4" plate laying in the front belly pan, I wonder where that goes? Thanks, Hotdog

Tazza

Staff member
This afternoon I got started on removing the belly pans, There is about 5" of dried mud, oil, grease and other debris collected in the bottom of the engine compartment. I wonder how you are going to check for and find fluid leaks with that much junk there? The belly pan bolts really catch it, two wrang off and I had to grind the bolt heads off of three others. The front belly pan is bent up pretty bad. Looks like I get to use the rose bud. Next I will pressure wash the entire engine compartment. I did find a 6"x6"x1/4" plate laying in the front belly pan, I wonder where that goes? Thanks, Hotdog
Almost all the machines i have bought look like that too. So much oil/dirt builds up, you can't blow it out with the pressure washer. I really need a steam cleaner to give them a good clean.
It will take a bit of effort to clean it out, but will be worth it in the end.

OP
OP
hotdogsL553

hotdogsL553

Almost all the machines i have bought look like that too. So much oil/dirt builds up, you can't blow it out with the pressure washer. I really need a steam cleaner to give them a good clean.
It will take a bit of effort to clean it out, but will be worth it in the end.
OK: Now I know why there is 5" of stuff in the bottom of the engine compartment. Removing the belly pans is not to bad, heating the bent belly pan is not to bad, but drilling out the wrang off bolts is another story. I spent 6 hours working on them and only got two done and I have 5 or 6 more to do. I guess I would never make a paid mechanic. Sure is fun. Thanks, Hotdog

OP
OP
hotdogsL553

hotdogsL553

OK: Now I know why there is 5" of stuff in the bottom of the engine compartment. Removing the belly pans is not to bad, heating the bent belly pan is not to bad, but drilling out the wrang off bolts is another story. I spent 6 hours working on them and only got two done and I have 5 or 6 more to do. I guess I would never make a paid mechanic. Sure is fun. Thanks, Hotdog
Hello Ya'll, I hope all is well. The belly pans are now installed. The engine compartment has been cleaned. As I was changing the fluids and filters I encountered a problem I have never seen before. The small hydro filter sealing surfaces are beveled. Out of the box the filter seal was installed backwards. After start up I noticed a drip, when I tightened the filter some more to stop the leak the drip got worse. Out comes the filter wrench. Now the leak is pouring. The filter sealing surface was damaged. It took a new filter and paying attention to the bevel of the seals, no more leak. After operating the skid steer for a few days, I have found a new problem. The engine acts like it is running out of fuel. I noticed the electric fuel pump was not ticking, not pumping fuel. After taping the fuel pump housing the pump started pumping. I will locate a replacement pump. That is all for this update. Thanks, Hotdog PS: The 6"x6"x1/4" plate I found in the belly pan was the access door for the engine oil pan drain plug that someone was too lazy to put back on when they got through changing the oil.

Tazza

Staff member
Hello Ya'll, I hope all is well. The belly pans are now installed. The engine compartment has been cleaned. As I was changing the fluids and filters I encountered a problem I have never seen before. The small hydro filter sealing surfaces are beveled. Out of the box the filter seal was installed backwards. After start up I noticed a drip, when I tightened the filter some more to stop the leak the drip got worse. Out comes the filter wrench. Now the leak is pouring. The filter sealing surface was damaged. It took a new filter and paying attention to the bevel of the seals, no more leak. After operating the skid steer for a few days, I have found a new problem. The engine acts like it is running out of fuel. I noticed the electric fuel pump was not ticking, not pumping fuel. After taping the fuel pump housing the pump started pumping. I will locate a replacement pump. That is all for this update. Thanks, Hotdog PS: The 6"x6"x1/4" plate I found in the belly pan was the access door for the engine oil pan drain plug that someone was too lazy to put back on when they got through changing the oil.
Good to hear things are going better and better, you will also gain so much more knowledge about the machine while you go.

Latest posts