oil blowing out the exhaust pipe

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

scottaero

we are operating an older 863....... under normal conditions the engine began to through loads of oil out the exhaust........... the turbo was replaced about 150 hours ago and it has ben operation find till now......... any ideas? Scott

Tazza

Staff member
Unless its not bad turbo seals i guess it could be valve stem seals. Usually the small amount of oil from the valve stem seals would be burnt. Just how much oil is it spitting out? Is it still oily or is it chunks of black soot?

skidsteer.ca

Unless its not bad turbo seals i guess it could be valve stem seals. Usually the small amount of oil from the valve stem seals would be burnt. Just how much oil is it spitting out? Is it still oily or is it chunks of black soot?
Sounds like a turbo if the oil is not getting burnt up. Bearing and seals go in nturbo and motor oil leaks around the turbo shaft into the exhaust. It has'nt lost its power yet and startesd to smoke black from lack of boost?
Ken

2109 Stang

Sounds like a turbo if the oil is not getting burnt up. Bearing and seals go in nturbo and motor oil leaks around the turbo shaft into the exhaust. It has'nt lost its power yet and startesd to smoke black from lack of boost?
Ken
I agree with turbo seals ,Thats the reason why you should Idle for a few minutes before shutting off the machine to cool down the turbo a few degrees so you dont burn the seals .

OP
OP
S

scottaero

I agree with turbo seals ,Thats the reason why you should Idle for a few minutes before shutting off the machine to cool down the turbo a few degrees so you dont burn the seals .
Yes I agree the turbo is in question....... is there any other componant in the oiling system that may be a cause? there is a rectangualr ball type check valve mounted on the upper L/H side of the frame that looks like is is tied into the breather system is this unit fails to operate correctly will it cause excessive oil consumption? or blow by ?

skidsteer.ca

Yes I agree the turbo is in question....... is there any other componant in the oiling system that may be a cause? there is a rectangualr ball type check valve mounted on the upper L/H side of the frame that looks like is is tied into the breather system is this unit fails to operate correctly will it cause excessive oil consumption? or blow by ?
The return line from a turbo must be free to return the oil to the oil pan. But if oil is leaking into the exhaust the turbo bearings and shaft seals are done in my experience with turbos on other equipment. If the return was plugged I think the end result would be the oil pressure could not supply oil to the bearings and damage would be quickly done. Have you removed the air filter hose into the turbo and looked at the compressor turbine? Checked the shaft for play. Usually when the bearing fail the turbine crashes into the housings and disintigrate. The turbine wheels will be all busted up.
You could block the oil supply to the turbo and block the turbine so it can't spin and see if the oil quicks leaking out. The engine should run fine bu will be down on power and smoke black. But the oil should quit coming out the exhaust.
Ken

OP
OP
S

scottaero

The return line from a turbo must be free to return the oil to the oil pan. But if oil is leaking into the exhaust the turbo bearings and shaft seals are done in my experience with turbos on other equipment. If the return was plugged I think the end result would be the oil pressure could not supply oil to the bearings and damage would be quickly done. Have you removed the air filter hose into the turbo and looked at the compressor turbine? Checked the shaft for play. Usually when the bearing fail the turbine crashes into the housings and disintigrate. The turbine wheels will be all busted up.
You could block the oil supply to the turbo and block the turbine so it can't spin and see if the oil quicks leaking out. The engine should run fine bu will be down on power and smoke black. But the oil should quit coming out the exhaust.
Ken
Thanks Ken Ill take the time to go disconect the intake pipe and see waht the compressor looks like for damage or rubbing........... The machine is my father-in-laws and he is a bit adiment on looking inside because he feels it may be a warranty issue.............. Thanks again Scott

OP
OP
S

scottaero

Thanks Ken Ill take the time to go disconect the intake pipe and see waht the compressor looks like for damage or rubbing........... The machine is my father-in-laws and he is a bit adiment on looking inside because he feels it may be a warranty issue.............. Thanks again Scott
thanks again to all of your replies........ this seems to be a great Forum. Scott

goodtech

thanks again to all of your replies........ this seems to be a great Forum. Scott
You blew your head gasket. This is a very common problem on the duetz engine. It usually blows bewteen the cyclinders and oil is pumped right into your cyclinder. I take the head off, pay attention to your head gasket. on the left rear of the engine block (as you stand there looking at it from the back of the machine) it has one, two or three tabs, make sure you pay attention to that. I also take a torch to the exhaust (outside) and let it burn all the oil. After you are all done the unit will smoke for about 15 minutes but it will go away. I have never scene the turbo's on those units go bad. It is usually a mis diagnoses. I've been with bobcat for 5 years, and haven't replaced one yet on a duetz engine. Good luck and have fun