Novice questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jfb

Very new to operation of a S-175. Would like to ask, when using this machine with a 60" brushcat, the guage only goes to around 75 to 80 psi. I used this brushcat on a smaller 160 machine, and it ran in the green area of the guage. Running full throtle, knee high weeds. No alarms, or overheating, that I can tell..just wondering if this may be a problem, or is it sort of normal?? Second question, when using a combo bucket, when I pull the triger, it pops all the way open. Is that normal? I finally figured out that the direction button would close it gradually when grappling a small tree. Running the aux on the varable flow position. As you can tell, I do not have any manuals. Using the machine to clear and brushcut scrub trees and brush in a neglected pasture. Any and all help is appreicated

Tazza

Staff member
You should be using the thumb switch to control the open/close of the 4 in 1, the trigger is for continuous flow like what you use for your brush hog.
Sorry i can't help with the other questions :(

gink595

You should be using the thumb switch to control the open/close of the 4 in 1, the trigger is for continuous flow like what you use for your brush hog.
Sorry i can't help with the other questions :(
+1 on the thumb switch, Have you checked your radiator to see if it is plugged from all the debris, I've noticed some temp increase with mine because of loose debris (leaves and such)with mine due to the radiator screen getting covered.

skidsteer.ca

+1 on the thumb switch, Have you checked your radiator to see if it is plugged from all the debris, I've noticed some temp increase with mine because of loose debris (leaves and such)with mine due to the radiator screen getting covered.
Also check the spring loaded fan belt tensioner as these sometime become sticky and the belts slips resulting in a slow running fan.
Ken

OP
OP
J

jfb

I made some errors in the first post..the guage I am refering to is the pressure guage mounted on the brushcat. It is reading 700 to 800 psi, i left off a zero. The basic question would be is 800 psi on that guage possibly indicating incorrect flow thru the aux hydrolics? The green "normal " operating range on the brushcat guage begins at 1000 psi, and I have seen it operate at slightly above that, maybe 1200 to 1400 psi on a machine with the same 16.9 gpm output. Thanks for any and all replys.

Tazza

Staff member
I made some errors in the first post..the guage I am refering to is the pressure guage mounted on the brushcat. It is reading 700 to 800 psi, i left off a zero. The basic question would be is 800 psi on that guage possibly indicating incorrect flow thru the aux hydrolics? The green "normal " operating range on the brushcat guage begins at 1000 psi, and I have seen it operate at slightly above that, maybe 1200 to 1400 psi on a machine with the same 16.9 gpm output. Thanks for any and all replys.
That sounds about rite to me, you will always have pressure in the lines, when the motor is under load it will spike to the main relief pressure of the machine. Higher flow will cause the pressure to be higher when its not under load as its trying to push more fluid through.

skidsteer.ca

That sounds about rite to me, you will always have pressure in the lines, when the motor is under load it will spike to the main relief pressure of the machine. Higher flow will cause the pressure to be higher when its not under load as its trying to push more fluid through.
You should see that guage anywhere up to 3000 psi if the cutter stall on a s175. The higher the load the more pressure to turn the cutter. If it won't go up near 3000 the cutter may have its own relief set below that but you should still be able to get 2250 or 2500 psi.
Iif you stall the cutter in some heavy brush, check your pressure then.
Under normal operation the lower the better though provided the cutter is spinning that just means its not being overworked.
Ken