No Spark??????????

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

vinrum

Hi guys..I have a Continental 4cyl., I cant get spark out of the coil!!! I replaced the battery and the coil...I have power on both sides of the coil when the key is in the on position.and power at the distibutor.. I bypassed all switches and wired it direct to the battery, and still no spark to the coil wire going to the distributor, or should I say no spark coming out of the coil when the motor is being turn over...I tested it with a test light, and the light is flickering when the points open and shut at the distributor....I actually changed the coil twice, thinking that the coil was bad, but no such luck...Please help me, am I overlooking something..

jerry

Try changing the condenser and check the inside of the distributor cap for cracks or carbon tracks left when spark is going to ground due to moisture or minute cracks also try a different coil wire to distributor. Check point gap by turning engine with cap off to high point on cam and make sure dist shaft is turning properly they have been known to fail. good luck

jerry

Try changing the condenser and check the inside of the distributor cap for cracks or carbon tracks left when spark is going to ground due to moisture or minute cracks also try a different coil wire to distributor. Check point gap by turning engine with cap off to high point on cam and make sure dist shaft is turning properly they have been known to fail. good luck
I had the same situation with our tractor a couple of years ago in the winter. It took a day or two to fix it and when I was done I had changed the coil, rotor, coil wire, points, condenser and distributor cap. I think it was the condenser sometimes they will simply short internally and quit but it could also have been the connection to the points.

OP
OP
V

vinrum

I had the same situation with our tractor a couple of years ago in the winter. It took a day or two to fix it and when I was done I had changed the coil, rotor, coil wire, points, condenser and distributor cap. I think it was the condenser sometimes they will simply short internally and quit but it could also have been the connection to the points.
I am not getting any spark coming out of the coil to the coil wire....I then stuck the test light into the top of the coil and turned the motor over, and the light wasnt coming on....Does the coil put out to much voltage for a 12volt test light to check???? Thats the only thing I can come up with...

jerry

I am not getting any spark coming out of the coil to the coil wire....I then stuck the test light into the top of the coil and turned the motor over, and the light wasnt coming on....Does the coil put out to much voltage for a 12volt test light to check???? Thats the only thing I can come up with...
The voltage coming out of the coil tower is your spark current which I think is in the low thousands, the amperage is low but the voltage is high. If you take a plug wire with a spark plug on it and connect it to the coil tower and lay it on a good ground on the engine you should get spark. The condenser provides a storage for the current to the coil when the points open. The coil needs the interuption of current to generate the higher voltage so if the condenser is bad there is no break in the current and you have no spark. The condenser is on the point plate below the rotor in the distributor and pretty inexpensive usually. I hope this helps others may know the whole coil,point thing better than me.

jerry

The voltage coming out of the coil tower is your spark current which I think is in the low thousands, the amperage is low but the voltage is high. If you take a plug wire with a spark plug on it and connect it to the coil tower and lay it on a good ground on the engine you should get spark. The condenser provides a storage for the current to the coil when the points open. The coil needs the interuption of current to generate the higher voltage so if the condenser is bad there is no break in the current and you have no spark. The condenser is on the point plate below the rotor in the distributor and pretty inexpensive usually. I hope this helps others may know the whole coil,point thing better than me.
I take that back I don't think you can get spark out of the coil tower with a plug and wire because the rotor has to be used to make and break the circuit also.

jerry

I take that back I don't think you can get spark out of the coil tower with a plug and wire because the rotor has to be used to make and break the circuit also.
your question on coil voltage made me look it up, it will be from 12000 to 50000 volts on the secondary circuit which is coil tower, rotor to sparkplug then ground. I do think if you have current at the coil your trouble is in the distributor either a short before the current gets to the points or bad points or condenser. There is no actual connection between 12volt primary and secondary circuit as it is induced current.

Latest posts