NH l555 hydraulic problem?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bmv

Hi all i have a New Holland skid steer that i have not used for a couple of months and today i went out and it started right up. But will not move or lift bucket or anything.Is it possible that there is water in the hyd fluid and has frozen? thanks in advance for any help Rob

Earthwerks Unlimited

Have you checked and cleaned the brass pre-screen at the lower right of the seat? That get's full of an organic snot-like substance that will prevent any fluid from flowing. If you continue running the machine without hydraulic power you'll ruin the pump if not already.

OP
OP
B

bmv

Have you checked and cleaned the brass pre-screen at the lower right of the seat? That get's full of an organic snot-like substance that will prevent any fluid from flowing. If you continue running the machine without hydraulic power you'll ruin the pump if not already.
thank you i will check the screen on Monday

heatpumpproducts

thank you i will check the screen on Monday
i have heard of this a few times now , this screen , what does it look like , is it just cleaned or changed out . mite you know where it is located on a LX565 .
most times my machine never gets it temperature up to normal , in winter especialy .i see it warm up only when i blow snow , but never over heat , is that not a sign of good flow , if the screen was restricted i thought that would heat things up too. and starving the pumps making them load and i think the term is (cavitate )?not sure though just learning like a newbe.
i was wondering is thier a way to preheat (warm) it up like a reverse heat sink or heat exchanger off the engines own rad fluid some how . i think in the tank or in the cooler for this fluid would be ideal and then a thermostate or silenode valve could be used to reverse the flow in the hotter months to help with additional coolling too .
so to add to my knowledge , and ignorance , the sensor on the bottom of the hydralic tank with 1 wire measures what ? the one back by my hydraulic filter with 2 wires is for presure i think . and this screen , is some sort of a reusable filter , and is thier to catch debre from the..?is thier not an other sending switch near the filter. or mite that be it . do i ever need to flush the hydraulic fuild system , like a radiator , or change the fuild in case of contamination from water.that mite freeze . i know if it had water in it it would look milky and foamy that does not seem the case . but i can only see the fluid in the tank , not the lines do these fluids get to go back to the tank often , i realize the fluid that goes to the pump motors do but how about the bucket and arm cyclenders , i would say that stupidly , as i understand if the fluid does not leak out , water should not get in , but what about condesation and humidity, frost .is that a consideration at all.
sorry to side step but also :
in saying that when i first start the engine , being a desiel , in the cold , could i add a pre-oiler to start at start ups per heat cycle when the glow plugs do thier thing too . amsoil has one such system , looks promissing . just wanted to know if any one else has tried it , i thought that because the machine is sitting for some times more than a week it mite be dry at start up , putting lube on the bearings mite make it start easier and last longer.
i read about this being a problem for ford on thier desiel trucks at start up , ya i have one of those too.F-350 6 LITER :( (i think to much and just don't know enough ) but i am learning .

92LX555

i have heard of this a few times now , this screen , what does it look like , is it just cleaned or changed out . mite you know where it is located on a LX565 .
most times my machine never gets it temperature up to normal , in winter especialy .i see it warm up only when i blow snow , but never over heat , is that not a sign of good flow , if the screen was restricted i thought that would heat things up too. and starving the pumps making them load and i think the term is (cavitate )?not sure though just learning like a newbe.
i was wondering is thier a way to preheat (warm) it up like a reverse heat sink or heat exchanger off the engines own rad fluid some how . i think in the tank or in the cooler for this fluid would be ideal and then a thermostate or silenode valve could be used to reverse the flow in the hotter months to help with additional coolling too .
so to add to my knowledge , and ignorance , the sensor on the bottom of the hydralic tank with 1 wire measures what ? the one back by my hydraulic filter with 2 wires is for presure i think . and this screen , is some sort of a reusable filter , and is thier to catch debre from the..?is thier not an other sending switch near the filter. or mite that be it . do i ever need to flush the hydraulic fuild system , like a radiator , or change the fuild in case of contamination from water.that mite freeze . i know if it had water in it it would look milky and foamy that does not seem the case . but i can only see the fluid in the tank , not the lines do these fluids get to go back to the tank often , i realize the fluid that goes to the pump motors do but how about the bucket and arm cyclenders , i would say that stupidly , as i understand if the fluid does not leak out , water should not get in , but what about condesation and humidity, frost .is that a consideration at all.
sorry to side step but also :
in saying that when i first start the engine , being a desiel , in the cold , could i add a pre-oiler to start at start ups per heat cycle when the glow plugs do thier thing too . amsoil has one such system , looks promissing . just wanted to know if any one else has tried it , i thought that because the machine is sitting for some times more than a week it mite be dry at start up , putting lube on the bearings mite make it start easier and last longer.
i read about this being a problem for ford on thier desiel trucks at start up , ya i have one of those too.F-350 6 LITER :( (i think to much and just don't know enough ) but i am learning .
On my LX555, it is not a brass screen but a plastic mesh screen. It is located by the right foot pedal. There is a screw off top that must be removed to pull the filter out. I am sure you can change it but I have always just cleaned mine with soap and water. Make sure to dry it out before putting it back in. In terms of flushing the system, in the perfect world you would not need to change the fluid. But, as we know, things happen and the fluid can affect how the machine runs. I always let my machine run for 15 minutes before using it. I know to some this is not practical and most people are not that patient. For me, I live on a farm so it is nothing for me to walk out and start the machine and let it idle while it warms up while I start doing chores. Only thing I can tell you is that my machine ALWAYS runs better when I let it warm up. Yes condensation can create water in the system. My LX555 does not have a reservoir anywhere but in the two side chain cases, one on the right and one on the left. I am constantly checking the quality of my fluid as more times than not bad fluid quaility will be your issue when things don't work. For the boom and bucket, it is either the main punp (located at the front of the transmission) or it is the fluid quality, including a blocked line. For the drive, it could be either the transmission pumps (one for the right and one for the left.....located rght behind the pump and right under the seat), or the drive motor itself. If a pump or one the valves in it go bad in MOST cases you can still move the machine in one direction, either forward or reverse. If the machine won't move in forward or reverse, it is the drive motor. Anytme it gets below 20, I always plug my unit in and she has not problems starting. If I don't plug her in, I might as well get the cables out and start jumping her.