NH L455- Where is 100-mesh screen

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

GLWelder

Hello, I'm back again w/another newbee question: My drive hydraulics are noisey and I hope to change hyd-fluid and filters this weekend: My questions are where is the mesh screen and the air vent for the hydaulic system? The service manual says to make sure their not plugged. I have the parts/ops/service manual but Its not clear to me where these are. Thanks, George

mllud

Your filler cap is the vent. The mesh screen is in the filler tube under the cap, its a plastic piece that pulls out with the cap off. the sap has a felt type vent. I replaced the cap instead of trying to clean it. They dont cost much and its important that the cap vent. I think this is what they're talking about cleaning Mike

mllud

Your filler cap is the vent. The mesh screen is in the filler tube under the cap, its a plastic piece that pulls out with the cap off. the sap has a felt type vent. I replaced the cap instead of trying to clean it. They dont cost much and its important that the cap vent. I think this is what they're talking about cleaning Mike
George; I Just remembered. If your loader is built before 1994 it could have a hydraulic system that shares oil with your chain cases. If you have this setup there will be a brass screen along with a filter. I think it is located down where your feet go,on the right side. It may be under a cover. There was another post that discussed this in the past. Mike

mllud

George; I Just remembered. If your loader is built before 1994 it could have a hydraulic system that shares oil with your chain cases. If you have this setup there will be a brass screen along with a filter. I think it is located down where your feet go,on the right side. It may be under a cover. There was another post that discussed this in the past. Mike
Im back again. Here is a previous post. If you read down it explains about a filter screen. And the location

92LX555 is not online. Last active: 8/12/2008 7:45:47 AM
92LX555
Total Posts: 41
Re: 1992 LX555 Loss of Propulsion
Posted: 26 Mar 2008 01:59 PM
I know no one is accusing me anything and all of the ribbing is in good natured. I can take it but like to dish it out more! My unit is a 1992 and I am thinking the same thing you.....this reservoir would be huge and I would remember seeing it. Without being right at the unit to look I can go on the memory for now and I honestly don't believe that it is there. This unit was top of the line in 92 when it was purchased. I am the 2nd owner and the 1st owner was my neighbor who ran it on a diary farm. There is a screen/filter that is located in the cab by the foot controls on the right side of the unit....opposite the dipstick side. (left side if the bucket is at your feet) I am going to hook some gauges up to the pump tonight or tomorrow and see what I have. I am pretty sure the problme is somewhere within the pump. This unit has three pumps....a gear pump, RH pump, and LH pump. The LH pump is the one in question and is towards the rear. There should be a relief valve in the pump that may have failed but I think if it did fail then I would not have enough system pressure to raise the boom. The light comes on but I can still raise it. So the next thing that I think is the coupler between the pump and the motor. If the splines have worn off then it would work but would still have enough pressure to raise the boom? And on occasion a spline would catch which would account for the sudden propulsion that I can occosaionally get. This is my latest theory anyway. One thing I have learned is that with me whatever can go wrong will go wrong and I can never have the simple things to fix. Seems like all of my stuff breaks the most unusual way and never the same way twice. Thanks for tryng to help and I do really really appreciate it!

OP
OP
G

GLWelder

Im back again. Here is a previous post. If you read down it explains about a filter screen. And the location

92LX555

Total Posts: 41

Re: 1992 LX555 Loss of Propulsion
Posted: 26 Mar 2008 01:59 PM

I know no one is accusing me anything and all of the ribbing is in good natured. I can take it but like to dish it out more! My unit is a 1992 and I am thinking the same thing you.....this reservoir would be huge and I would remember seeing it. Without being right at the unit to look I can go on the memory for now and I honestly don't believe that it is there. This unit was top of the line in 92 when it was purchased. I am the 2nd owner and the 1st owner was my neighbor who ran it on a diary farm. There is a screen/filter that is located in the cab by the foot controls on the right side of the unit....opposite the dipstick side. (left side if the bucket is at your feet) I am going to hook some gauges up to the pump tonight or tomorrow and see what I have. I am pretty sure the problme is somewhere within the pump. This unit has three pumps....a gear pump, RH pump, and LH pump. The LH pump is the one in question and is towards the rear. There should be a relief valve in the pump that may have failed but I think if it did fail then I would not have enough system pressure to raise the boom. The light comes on but I can still raise it. So the next thing that I think is the coupler between the pump and the motor. If the splines have worn off then it would work but would still have enough pressure to raise the boom? And on occasion a spline would catch which would account for the sudden propulsion that I can occosaionally get. This is my latest theory anyway. One thing I have learned is that with me whatever can go wrong will go wrong and I can never have the simple things to fix. Seems like all of my stuff breaks the most unusual way and never the same way twice. Thanks for tryng to help and I do really really appreciate it!
I finally found time to work on my L455. I spent 4-5 hours, changing the oil, hydraulic fluid and every filter on the machine (2 hy, 1 oil, 2 fuel, 2 air. Also I found the 100 mesh suction screen, it is under the seat by left steering assembly. I also changed the glow plugs. I was hoping the plugs or fuel filters were the source of my hard starting issue, but it stills starts hard. Also the hy's are still noisy, but I have alot of work to do before it gets too wet, so I'll tackle that later. I don't have a service manual for my diesel yet, can anyone tell me what the stop cock valve on the injector is for is what is the correct adjustment is for it? Like I've said previously, the motor starts hard, but runs great once started w/normal amounts of smoke when pushed. Thanks, George

mllud

I finally found time to work on my L455. I spent 4-5 hours, changing the oil, hydraulic fluid and every filter on the machine (2 hy, 1 oil, 2 fuel, 2 air. Also I found the 100 mesh suction screen, it is under the seat by left steering assembly. I also changed the glow plugs. I was hoping the plugs or fuel filters were the source of my hard starting issue, but it stills starts hard. Also the hy's are still noisy, but I have alot of work to do before it gets too wet, so I'll tackle that later. I don't have a service manual for my diesel yet, can anyone tell me what the stop cock valve on the injector is for is what is the correct adjustment is for it? Like I've said previously, the motor starts hard, but runs great once started w/normal amounts of smoke when pushed. Thanks, George
George Ive only been a skid steer owner for about a year. I also felt that my hydraulics were noisy.If its more noise at low speed under load it may be normal. If both sides are the same when turning its probably ok. If one side is groaning more than the other a pump could be getting tireed. If your lift and bucket are noisy that pump could have a problem.
I think the drive train on mine is noisy when traveling at full speed. Ive been told and read that New Hollands are noisy [Gear Noise] You have to remember that the drive train is bolted directly to the frame and your sitting right in there with it. Mike

Tazza

Staff member
George Ive only been a skid steer owner for about a year. I also felt that my hydraulics were noisy.If its more noise at low speed under load it may be normal. If both sides are the same when turning its probably ok. If one side is groaning more than the other a pump could be getting tireed. If your lift and bucket are noisy that pump could have a problem.
I think the drive train on mine is noisy when traveling at full speed. Ive been told and read that New Hollands are noisy [Gear Noise] You have to remember that the drive train is bolted directly to the frame and your sitting right in there with it. Mike
The hard starting could simply be that the engine is getting a little low on compression or the injectors or pump need servicing too. The way to test is do a compression test then you will know if your compression is low or not. As you say it runs sweet when warm i would suspect low compression and not the pump/injectors.
If your battery is a little sad it will make starting harder too.

Latest posts