Newbie with V plow question, fragments found in valve body

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Flambow5

Greetings from WI, I recently picked up a Bobcat V Plow, right side ram worked fine, left side was stuck. After further testing I removed valve from control body to find fragments of rubber and metal stuck in valve itself. My question is, would some of the fragments have traveled into main hydraulic fluid in overall loader? (Bobcat S250)? If so what should be done next? If not, What would need to be checked/replaced on plow to make functional? It appears I have all the fragments out of valve itself. Valve Assembly part # 6681546 Getting snow soon !! HELP thanks Jim

flyerdan

Chances are the contaminates came from the previous machine, since you're into the valve already, it might be advisable to open up the cylinders as well and inspect for damage.
Any contaminants going back into the Bobcat should be hoovered up in the suction filter before it gets to the pumps, if you are concerned, next time you change filters open it up and see if there is any similar debris in there.
Hopefully you won't find any missing metal or rubber in your new plow and it will work fine with a cleanout.

OP
OP
F

Flambow5

Chances are the contaminates came from the previous machine, since you're into the valve already, it might be advisable to open up the cylinders as well and inspect for damage.
Any contaminants going back into the Bobcat should be hoovered up in the suction filter before it gets to the pumps, if you are concerned, next time you change filters open it up and see if there is any similar debris in there.
Hopefully you won't find any missing metal or rubber in your new plow and it will work fine with a cleanout.
so I assume I need to disassemble valve body completely to find out where fragments came from? How do I evacuate all the fluid to assure nothing is left in there?

flyerdan

so I assume I need to disassemble valve body completely to find out where fragments came from? How do I evacuate all the fluid to assure nothing is left in there?
Is this the valve body on the skidsteer, or is it on the attachment? If it's on the ss, was the junk in the return part of the valve?
I'm assuming that you had no problems with the Bobcat that could cause this, so it's likely that it came from the plow; I'd like to find out where it came from before buttoning everything up and having it fail 30 seconds later. If you find a broken cylinder piston in the plow with chewed up seals, that would be the culprit. If the plow hydraulics look good, the junk likely came from the machine it was last attached to.
There are books in the manual thread for Melroe control valves, hydraulic tests, as well as the S250, if you don't have them already it's worth getting them for reference.