New to Skid Steers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
Kodiak Kid

Kodiak Kid

Do any of you guys know if the S175 has a hi range for slow road travel? I got my 175 today, but no manuals came with it. As far as I can tell. There is only one speed for primary operations. I didn't see a hi range option for shorter distance road travel.

Also, as far as tire chains. What is the best option for packed snow and ice conditions?

Last edited:

mrbb

I would suggest talking to your local Bobcat dealer, have them run your vin # maybe they can get you a spec sheet on your machine, as for chains, for ice snow, these get my vote, but gather they will be more aggressive on leave more marks on pavement and concrete than other types, but will win the traction game if that's your goal!

OP
OP
Kodiak Kid

Kodiak Kid

I would suggest talking to your local Bobcat dealer, have them run your vin # maybe they can get you a spec sheet on your machine, as for chains, for ice snow, these get my vote, but gather they will be more aggressive on leave more marks on pavement and concrete than other types, but will win the traction game if that's your goal!

I see that chains are sold in sets for two tires.
Do you think I'll need chains for all four when plowing and doing other stuff on ice?

brdgbldr

I see that chains are sold in sets for two tires.
Do you think I'll need chains for all four when plowing and doing other stuff on ice?
It depends on what attachment you use to remove the snow. I use a blade at an angle and If I have chains only on the back, the front tends to slide opposite the angle of the blade. If I only have chains on the front, the back will also tend to slide. So with a blade I use chains on all four tires.

When using a snow pusher or bucket, just using chains on the back seems to work fine.

mrbb

IMO< it comes down to the terrain your plowing on, and like stated, what your plowing with, a bucket, snow pusher, blower, and then the size of them too matters
point being if you need MAX traction, all 4 if the best way to go
as if you have too much weight up front, you can be lacking traction on front tires or rear pending what your doing?

ghs57

2 speed for the S175 was an option. My 2007 S175 machine is single speed. I wish it had two speeds because it's slow, especially when in transit. Run your vin on the bobcat website and you'll see attachments and parts for your machine. The specs may be there also. I have the brochure for the S175/185 which I found online somewhere.

ghs57

Actually, the specs I have found for the S175/185 show only one travel speed of 7.3 mph, even though there is a toggle on the right hand control for high speed. I don't think my machine can do 7.3 even downhill. It's a real slow poke.

Last edited:

mrbb

So my tires are 10x16.5
Dose that mean I need 10x16.5 chains?
yes, you need correct chains to fit the tires your running, any good tire shop that sells chains can help you with making sure you get the right ones, if you don;t know, ASK before you order or buy!

OP
OP
Kodiak Kid

Kodiak Kid

I wanted to buy them online, but when I look up 10x16.5 they are listed as tractor tire chains. Any thing that mentions skid steer tire chains. Points me at 12Ă—16.5

brdgbldr

I wanted to buy them online, but when I look up 10x16.5 they are listed as tractor tire chains. Any thing that mentions skid steer tire chains. Points me at 12Ă—16.5
These are the chains I use:

As long as the chains are the correct size it doesn't matter what it says they are for. What you need to decide is what style of chain you need and if they need to be highway compliant or not (Yes, if you use the wrong chains on a highway you can be ticketed and have to pay for damage to the road).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiak Kid

Kodiak Kid

These are the chains I use:

As long as the chains are the correct size it doesn't matter what it says they are for. What you need to decide is what style of chain you need and if they need to be highway compliant or not (Yes, if you use the wrong chains on a highway you can be ticketed and have to pay for damage to the road).
Right on, thanks man.đź‘Ť

OP
OP
Kodiak Kid

Kodiak Kid

So I had one fella I know tell me I shouldn't need to chain up me Skidster on ice for plowing! He said they are heavy enough as is for plowing! Claims to have a lot of time operating one. That sounded upsurd and not right to me, but I'm new to skidsters. What are your opinions on his statement fellas?

brdgbldr

So I had one fella I know tell me I shouldn't need to chain up me Skidster on ice for plowing! He said they are heavy enough as is for plowing! Claims to have a lot of time operating one. That sounded upsurd and not right to me, but I'm new to skidsters. What are your opinions on his statement fellas?
I had steel over the tire tracks on my 742B (weighed in ant 7500 lbs) and it would skate on the ice. If I turned too fast it would keep spinning. Kinda fun but not good for plowing.

I used my A300 (over 9000 lbs) to plow snow without chains on gravel and now I have chains on it.

It also depends on what size and tread you have for tires. Also, the terrain and surface you are plowing. Sliding out of control is not fun.

mrbb

skid steer tires on ICE, HARD packed snow, SUCK period, don;'t care if its level ground or worse on a hill or a side! HOW bad they suck will come down to how heavy the snow is in front of your blade, bucket or>> and the size of the blade bucket or??
I have had my skid steer on ICE at my place on stock 16.5x 12(33 inch tall) tires and with like just a little of snow on top of the ice, unable to drive an inch on a slight up hill, would just sit there and spin?
gravity going down hill it would go and even push snow at times, but then be unable to back up and need being pulled out?
BUT this is on ICE, and hard pack snow, where again standard tires just suck, there too hard and have NO traction! there made for either Mud, or ground that can be grabbed, where as ice and hard pack snow, you just spin things on NO biting happens really, by design of the tires

However 99% of MY winter plowing needs, I can manage without CHAINS, or studs ,
as ice is never that big a issue for most plowing I do!(although the last 3 winters I think I had more ice storms than snow, ice storms seem to be more often events IMO, more mild winters too for that matter)

SO< do you NEED chains or studded tires, to plow snow, NO< or MAYBE< it all again comes down to the conditions and terrain your plowing on, , and if its honestly SNOW< or ice the tires are going to be on top of!
if you DON"T Know if you need chains, and do plan to be plowing,(all the more so if hills are in the game, and or ice is common) MAYBE buy them, have them on hand, if you feel you DON"T need them, return them, or resell them, or better yet, HOLD onto them,
as again , ICE Storms do seem to be getting more common! and like all good tools, there worth keeping , only end up costing more as time passes!
kinda like investments any more!

Last edited:

Bigg_Billy

I have mud tires on mine, and my driveway is mostly level so it works just fine...but...if you're on an incline towards the street, without chains you will slide out onto the street on ice or hardpack.

cdmccul

So far, my machine has been stable in most snow conditions. I have high centered once and needed to use the bucket to get myself out. I haven't had trouble getting up and down various city driveways, and no trouble on streets.

Fully loaded and pushing a pile, I rarely have trouble losing traction. YES it breaks free at times. And no, I can't push mountains with it... But the engine drags down because the wheels are trying to grab that hard.

But, if I'm running full speed down the pavement, and then I try to stop and turn quickly, it will "drift" into the turn. GREAT FUN when in a safe area and fewer risks. A real puckering factor when it happens when you don't expect it and you're near cars!

I have a 99% stock Bobcat 632 with new (very low hours, very light use, but maybe 5 years old) Firestone skid steer tires in a 16(16.5?)x10 size.

Jyuma1

Years ago, I had a neighbor get really pissed at me when he couldn't get his car up the hill (maybe 8 degree incline) in front of my house. He knew, as all my neighbors knew, that I had a skid steer and had just seen me plow my 200' footlong driveway with ease only minutes before.

He asked me if I could give him a push up the hill with my loader and when I told him his car had better traction going up that hill (hard packed snow) then my skid steer did, he got really pissed thinking I just didn't want to help him.

It didn't matter how much weight I put in the bucket; my loader would simply spin its tires on hard packed snow.

Use of chains should always be considered for plowing snow sitting on top of ice, or even just hard packed snow. It would only help.

wings5j

My driveway is fairly steep and winding. I feel I definitely need tire chains. The first few winters on the property I got by with chains on the rear but then one year we had a freezing rain that made the driveway a real nightmare. I had to wear cleats on my boots to be able to walk on it. The Bobcat just slid around and I added chains to the front tires as well. Now I chain up all four every winter and enjoy the extra traction.
They haven't caused any damage worth mentioning.

John