New LS 185 is this Normal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

johnls185

I have just purchased a new LS185. This is the first time I have owned a New Holland. The last machine I owned was a Thomas LS173 I thought this would be a big step up. Especially when this machine is rated at 7000 brake out force. I was very disappointed vertical lift is 2500 and it will do this but any more puts it into bypass. The first day I tested the machine I tried to flip a bolder I was very close to moving with the 173. The 185 would not even budge it . The dealer tested the hydraulics and said all were in spec. Is this normal?

Fishfiles

Weather or not it's normal for the machine to do as you stated I don't know , but for the New Holland dealer to tell you everything is alright when you think there is a problem is about how it goes around here

skidsteer.ca

Weather or not it's normal for the machine to do as you stated I don't know , but for the New Holland dealer to tell you everything is alright when you think there is a problem is about how it goes around here
If its rated lift is 2500 then the tipping lift should be 5000 lbs. Of course thats up tight to the loader not on the tip of a 4' pallet fork.
Did yoou know the weight of what you were picking up?
A simple test of your system relief pressure will let you know.
Hook a 3000 psi guage to your front couplers ad activate the flow with the oil warrm.
Your max pressure spec should be in you manual.
My ls 160 will lift 2500 lbs. That loader shoud be able to lift 4000 if the operator is carful. With the concern being foward tipping, not the machine lacking the power.
Ken

OP
OP
J

johnls185

If its rated lift is 2500 then the tipping lift should be 5000 lbs. Of course thats up tight to the loader not on the tip of a 4' pallet fork.
Did yoou know the weight of what you were picking up?
A simple test of your system relief pressure will let you know.
Hook a 3000 psi guage to your front couplers ad activate the flow with the oil warrm.
Your max pressure spec should be in you manual.
My ls 160 will lift 2500 lbs. That loader shoud be able to lift 4000 if the operator is carful. With the concern being foward tipping, not the machine lacking the power.
Ken
The pressure is 3250 psi I have lifted pallets of stone 2600 Lb and it will do this but at a very slow rate, this is at it's limit. The dealer said that the bypass it not adjustable. My real problem is with the curl force I was able to pry loose boulders with the 173 and this machine will not budge. I was thinking New Holland's maybe starting to do this for safety reasons. This machine was just built the last week of September and has the pilot controls. The dealer said this makes a difference I don't see why, power should be the same maybe with less feel though. Thanks for the replys

skidsteer.ca

The pressure is 3250 psi I have lifted pallets of stone 2600 Lb and it will do this but at a very slow rate, this is at it's limit. The dealer said that the bypass it not adjustable. My real problem is with the curl force I was able to pry loose boulders with the 173 and this machine will not budge. I was thinking New Holland's maybe starting to do this for safety reasons. This machine was just built the last week of September and has the pilot controls. The dealer said this makes a difference I don't see why, power should be the same maybe with less feel though. Thanks for the replys
The problem is that the 2600 lbs your lifting is 2ft to the center of the load infront of the machine.
Take a look at this Bobcat rating chart from my pallet forks. it show how much they derate a machine based on haveing the center of the load 2 ft infront of the machine. a 7753 Has a 1700 lb rate lift at 50% of its tipping capacity.
IMG_0079.JPG

But here its only 1120 lbs.
Are you sure the pressures were within spec on you 173?
Ken

Earthwerks Unlimited

The problem is that the 2600 lbs your lifting is 2ft to the center of the load infront of the machine.
Take a look at this Bobcat rating chart from my pallet forks. it show how much they derate a machine based on haveing the center of the load 2 ft infront of the machine. a 7753 Has a 1700 lb rate lift at 50% of its tipping capacity.

But here its only 1120 lbs.
Are you sure the pressures were within spec on you 173?
Ken
I have an'05 LS185.b with hand controls equipped with an 800lb. Bobcat-brand industrial grapple bucket. I used it to clean up Hurricane Katrina picking up cars from the side with it. So I don't know if yours is normal, but like what was pointed out it depends where you pick it up at. Do you have a hydraulic mounting plate? I do and haven't had a problem, but perhaps there is leakage in the valve that is allowing a pressure drop becasue the bucket curl passes through there. Dunno.

OP
OP
J

johnls185

I have an'05 LS185.b with hand controls equipped with an 800lb. Bobcat-brand industrial grapple bucket. I used it to clean up Hurricane Katrina picking up cars from the side with it. So I don't know if yours is normal, but like what was pointed out it depends where you pick it up at. Do you have a hydraulic mounting plate? I do and haven't had a problem, but perhaps there is leakage in the valve that is allowing a pressure drop becasue the bucket curl passes through there. Dunno.
No I just have mechanical latch. I will probably rent a few other makes to find a good machine. This one is a expensive joke.

Latest posts