New Holland LS 160 loader

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

For those of you that know me I'm a bit of a bobcat man, not so much by choice but more because of the one brand that has presence in my area.
Well the other day I stepped out a bought a used 2000 ls 160 with 440 hours, (garage kept and babied, it looks like its 6 months old)
Compared to my 773 (also a 2000) there are definitely some differences. It faster on the wheels, visability is awesome compared to the blind behind bobcat, Regardless of where I lift the boom to I can see under it to the rear tires, or over it, and once its up 30" or more you can see all around you. The boom is 100% tight, no side to side slop but the 773 had 1500 hours on it when I got it.
I also like that the hour meter can be converted to one digital guage for either volts, water temp, oil temp. Its feels more stable (2" longer wheel base). Its a little quieter.
The boom can be mechanically locked in the up position (and unlocked) from inside the cab with the flip of a lever (Mustang, deere, and ? have this feature) this is a nice feeling when I need to get out under it and chain, or un chain something I need to load. (other manufacturers listening here)
On the down side, the operators compartment has very little extra room. (looking for a spot for heater) To change the oil you have to remove a cover underneath (not just pull out a hose) Access to the loader heart is a little tight unless you roll the rops and loader arms forward (then it wide open, but requires a special jack and 30 to 45 mins of unbolting things from what I see in the manual)
Routine service can be done with just lifting the seat, removing engine shrouding and stump pan under engine, maybe 5 mins (10 if you don't have a air wrench fro stump pan).
I have very limited seat time yet but am praying for snow.
Ken

Tigerotor77W

Case actually has the in-cab boom locks for its vertical lift models; Mustang got rid of it. (I, too, thought it was a good idea until someone pointed out that quite frequently, you tilt the cab and raise the lift arms at the same time -- since the boom locks were in the cab, that was a problem!)

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Case actually has the in-cab boom locks for its vertical lift models; Mustang got rid of it. (I, too, thought it was a good idea until someone pointed out that quite frequently, you tilt the cab and raise the lift arms at the same time -- since the boom locks were in the cab, that was a problem!)
Nh cab does not tip easily, and when it does, the loader arms go with it. So the boom lock is not a concern there. But it probably takes a hour to unbolt everything to do it, and you need a screw jack kit from Nh. Tilting is not required of service eneral service. But I was under the impression it was a 5 minute job until I got the loader home and read the procedure in the manual. But access would be excellent once done.
But for the boom lock thing on the other brands, they could still have a cylinder blocking bar like bobcat uses for those times you need to tilt the cab and leave the arms up. The rest of the time the operator would have the convience and safety. Surprised mustang got rid of it.
My 773 is the worst. You need two people to do it safely. It not like the radial lift models where you pull a pin and it falls down on the cylinder. It has to be removed and held in place while someone else lowers the boom.
Ken

Tigerotor77W

Nh cab does not tip easily, and when it does, the loader arms go with it. So the boom lock is not a concern there. But it probably takes a hour to unbolt everything to do it, and you need a screw jack kit from Nh. Tilting is not required of service eneral service. But I was under the impression it was a 5 minute job until I got the loader home and read the procedure in the manual. But access would be excellent once done.
But for the boom lock thing on the other brands, they could still have a cylinder blocking bar like bobcat uses for those times you need to tilt the cab and leave the arms up. The rest of the time the operator would have the convience and safety. Surprised mustang got rid of it.
My 773 is the worst. You need two people to do it safely. It not like the radial lift models where you pull a pin and it falls down on the cylinder. It has to be removed and held in place while someone else lowers the boom.
Ken
That's true. Perhaps someone will come out with a new design.
How do you like the NH versus the Bobcat? Granted they're slightly differently-sized machines, but overall performance?

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

That's true. Perhaps someone will come out with a new design.
How do you like the NH versus the Bobcat? Granted they're slightly differently-sized machines, but overall performance?
I don't have enough seat time in it yet maybe 3 hours. It is faster on the wheels, boom cycle time is about the same. Boom is tighter side to side, but it has 1000 less hours then when I got my 773. The ground was froze by the time I got it home so I don't know how it will be to bulldoze into a pile of dirt and fill the bucket. I don't have tracks on it yet either. I'll leave it on tires with rear chains until spring for snow removal (if it ever snows) 773 has 16.9 gpm versus 15 and 3000 psi versus 2600 Not sure how much it will be noticable in the real world. Nh 42 hp bobcat 46. Nh 42 inch whelbase, Bob 40
I left the tracks on my 773 for brush mowing snowmobile trails, even though they are like working on skates. (definitely no side hills)
Steering sticks are heavier on Nh. It would be easy to ram a stick through the rear grill into the rad on Nh
Super visbility behind on Nh and better to the side, but has a longer rear overhang for me to get used to, but at least you can see it. They are two very different machines, but i think they are fairly comparable performance wise
160's ROC is only 1500 (763 class) but it has 240 lbs of counter weight or rear ( and room for 120 more), but I don't know what the spec is with the weights. 773 is 1750 or 1850 with counter weight kit. Seatbelt is more of a pita then bobcat seatbar, and so is the left hand throttle.
I realy like the view, and it is the closest thing to new I have ever had in my fleet. 450 vary pampered hours, always sat inside, I'm almost scared to use it, it looks like new. So I think it will be a good little machine.
Ken

charger

I don't have enough seat time in it yet maybe 3 hours. It is faster on the wheels, boom cycle time is about the same. Boom is tighter side to side, but it has 1000 less hours then when I got my 773. The ground was froze by the time I got it home so I don't know how it will be to bulldoze into a pile of dirt and fill the bucket. I don't have tracks on it yet either. I'll leave it on tires with rear chains until spring for snow removal (if it ever snows) 773 has 16.9 gpm versus 15 and 3000 psi versus 2600 Not sure how much it will be noticable in the real world. Nh 42 hp bobcat 46. Nh 42 inch whelbase, Bob 40
I left the tracks on my 773 for brush mowing snowmobile trails, even though they are like working on skates. (definitely no side hills)
Steering sticks are heavier on Nh. It would be easy to ram a stick through the rear grill into the rad on Nh
Super visbility behind on Nh and better to the side, but has a longer rear overhang for me to get used to, but at least you can see it. They are two very different machines, but i think they are fairly comparable performance wise
160's ROC is only 1500 (763 class) but it has 240 lbs of counter weight or rear ( and room for 120 more), but I don't know what the spec is with the weights. 773 is 1750 or 1850 with counter weight kit. Seatbelt is more of a pita then bobcat seatbar, and so is the left hand throttle.
I realy like the view, and it is the closest thing to new I have ever had in my fleet. 450 vary pampered hours, always sat inside, I'm almost scared to use it, it looks like new. So I think it will be a good little machine.
Ken
tilting the cab is actually not that bad,remove the 2 fenders,remove the engine side panels and top grill,remove the rear cab bolts and 2 front ones,disconnect the brakes,takes less than 1/2 hour,you can also use another skidsteer or tractor to tilt the cab,we seldomly tilt cabs anymore,even when were removing the hydro`s,the heater on these units actually mount in the top back of the cab where your tail lites mount, yes it is very cramped if you are tryin to install an aftermarket heater into that cab.

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

tilting the cab is actually not that bad,remove the 2 fenders,remove the engine side panels and top grill,remove the rear cab bolts and 2 front ones,disconnect the brakes,takes less than 1/2 hour,you can also use another skidsteer or tractor to tilt the cab,we seldomly tilt cabs anymore,even when were removing the hydro`s,the heater on these units actually mount in the top back of the cab where your tail lites mount, yes it is very cramped if you are tryin to install an aftermarket heater into that cab.
Charger
Do you have to use a come along or something to prevent the cab from falling forward to quickly when you pull it forward? Or is is fairly welled balanced?
I just seen in the manual where they have a "screw jack" tool for the job.
Ken

charger

Charger
Do you have to use a come along or something to prevent the cab from falling forward to quickly when you pull it forward? Or is is fairly welled balanced?
I just seen in the manual where they have a "screw jack" tool for the job.
Ken
as long as you chain it down to the bucket of another machine(bucket mounting plate),all you have to do then is back up with the other machine and lower your boom as required, the cab is not balanced at all,we`ve never used a come along because you initially have to start tilting the cab before a come along would come effective and it would only be there in case of safety.

kolo

as long as you chain it down to the bucket of another machine(bucket mounting plate),all you have to do then is back up with the other machine and lower your boom as required, the cab is not balanced at all,we`ve never used a come along because you initially have to start tilting the cab before a come along would come effective and it would only be there in case of safety.
I have my cab tilt down to around 15 minutes. Use air ratchet for the fenders and air impact for the cab mount bolts. disconnect quick pins for E brake. Hook come along between square tube at attach plate between boom arms and tie down loop at base. Use engine crane to catch boom when it passes balance point and place boom on jack stands . Only way to wrench on these or clean real well.

kolo

I have my cab tilt down to around 15 minutes. Use air ratchet for the fenders and air impact for the cab mount bolts. disconnect quick pins for E brake. Hook come along between square tube at attach plate between boom arms and tie down loop at base. Use engine crane to catch boom when it passes balance point and place boom on jack stands . Only way to wrench on these or clean real well. Note : special screw jack and mounting hardware from New Holland well over $1400.00

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

I have my cab tilt down to around 15 minutes. Use air ratchet for the fenders and air impact for the cab mount bolts. disconnect quick pins for E brake. Hook come along between square tube at attach plate between boom arms and tie down loop at base. Use engine crane to catch boom when it passes balance point and place boom on jack stands . Only way to wrench on these or clean real well. Note : special screw jack and mounting hardware from New Holland well over $1400.00
I have only tilted my cab once but also figured out the come along and chain hoist thing versus the factory tool (wow 1400, for that) We also placed another screen over the rear grill to better protect the rad from sticks intruding. As far as I'm concerned both it and my 773 have there good points and I'd buy another New Holland any day.
Ken

signman51

I have only tilted my cab once but also figured out the come along and chain hoist thing versus the factory tool (wow 1400, for that) We also placed another screen over the rear grill to better protect the rad from sticks intruding. As far as I'm concerned both it and my 773 have there good points and I'd buy another New Holland any day.
Ken
does any one know extended and collapsed length of cab tilt tool, got a machine shop ready to make one

Latest posts