New here to the forums.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fate3d

Hello all, My name is Joe and im here in Texas. I just finished rebuilding my Cat 246 3034 Turbo engine. I bought the Cat this way and have been restoring the machine. Im here if you need any help or info.

OP
OP
F

Fate3d

Here is the link to my photos of the rebuild. http://s183.photobucket.com/user/Fate3d2003/library/Cat%20246%20Skid%20Steer%20Rebuild

Tazza

Staff member
I think it was under $4500. Block i did not replace but had it sleeved. I did have the crank redone for $600.
I guess that isn't too bad for a turbo engine.
I got a Kubota sleeved a few years back, i got the machining done for free, it still added up quickly for parts....

OP
OP
F

Fate3d

I guess that isn't too bad for a turbo engine.
I got a Kubota sleeved a few years back, i got the machining done for free, it still added up quickly for parts....
Well the rebuild is cheap because of the motor is kind of rare. But a very good motor if taken care of. My machine I bought was in really bad shape and have been restoring it. Just got new rims and tires for it and made the artwork myself and also building my cnc plasma table to make all my attachments :)

Tazza

Staff member
Well the rebuild is cheap because of the motor is kind of rare. But a very good motor if taken care of. My machine I bought was in really bad shape and have been restoring it. Just got new rims and tires for it and made the artwork myself and also building my cnc plasma table to make all my attachments :)
That is a good point, a new engine could run you at least twice that much.
I hope you are taking pictures of the CNC build, that would be very interesting.

OP
OP
F

Fate3d

That is a good point, a new engine could run you at least twice that much.
I hope you are taking pictures of the CNC build, that would be very interesting.
Yes I have pics. This is my second one Im building. Got some plans from ebay and have modify it a bit to more of my liking. I have alot of cool toys :) I have a cnc router, Laser cutter not for metal, Metal Lathe and Mill, 54" solvent printer etc..

Tazza

Staff member
Yes I have pics. This is my second one Im building. Got some plans from ebay and have modify it a bit to more of my liking. I have alot of cool toys :) I have a cnc router, Laser cutter not for metal, Metal Lathe and Mill, 54" solvent printer etc..
Why aren't you my neighbor? those are some fancy toys :)
If i had the space, i think i could use a plasma CNC

msccat236

Hello all, My name is Joe and im here in Texas. I just finished rebuilding my Cat 246 3034 Turbo engine. I bought the Cat this way and have been restoring the machine. Im here if you need any help or info.

Ik this is an old thread but curious as to if you got into the cylinder head at all I am wondering if they have glow plug sleeves in the heads I have a broken glow plug and coolant coming from it

OP
OP
F

Fate3d

Hello, been awhile. I sold off my rebuilt Cat 246. I did not see a sleeve for the glowplug. They just screw in. If coolant is coming out sounds like a bad head gasket or warped head.