New guy, just learning

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
J

Justlearning

Help! I have a 2005 Bobcat 463 loader. I've had it for 17 years. Im 2nd owner. Bought it with 533 hours. Use it very little. Has 983 hours on it. The last 5 or 6 times wanting to use it, it wouldn't move until I moved the levers back and forth 8 or 9 times. It was as though the wheels were siezed up and needed to be broke loose. After sitting about 8 months, it won't move at all. Not even a 1/16th of an inch. When I move the drive levers the engine boggs down to almost stalling. I can hear the hydraulics loading up. But wheels won't turn. The dipstick shows hydraulic fluid is full. Put on new filter. Worked good for one use. Then froze up again on next use. It's as though there is a hydrostatic drive system blockage. Does anyone have any ideas? I talked to a JD skidsteer mechanic that hasn't worked on Bobcat for 10 years and he was stumped. Said there isn't alot of info available on the 463 mini loader.

brdgbldr

Help! I have a 2005 Bobcat 463 loader. I've had it for 17 years. Im 2nd owner. Bought it with 533 hours. Use it very little. Has 983 hours on it. The last 5 or 6 times wanting to use it, it wouldn't move until I moved the levers back and forth 8 or 9 times. It was as though the wheels were siezed up and needed to be broke loose. After sitting about 8 months, it won't move at all. Not even a 1/16th of an inch. When I move the drive levers the engine boggs down to almost stalling. I can hear the hydraulics loading up. But wheels won't turn. The dipstick shows hydraulic fluid is full. Put on new filter. Worked good for one use. Then froze up again on next use. It's as though there is a hydrostatic drive system blockage. Does anyone have any ideas? I talked to a JD skidsteer mechanic that hasn't worked on Bobcat for 10 years and he was stumped. Said there isn't alot of info available on the 463 mini loader.
You need to check and clean any internal filters.

I believe that model has a snubber filter. A brass filter that may be clogged up. When you changed the hydraulic filter the clog may have cleared a bit and then when you used the machine the debris re-clogged the filter. Bobcat still sells these. There are probably other internal filters also.

Check the parts diagram for your machine serial number for location and part numbers for the different filters.

OP
OP
J

Justlearning

You need to check and clean any internal filters.

I believe that model has a snubber filter. A brass filter that may be clogged up. When you changed the hydraulic filter the clog may have cleared a bit and then when you used the machine the debris re-clogged the filter. Bobcat still sells these. There are probably other internal filters also.

Check the parts diagram for your machine serial number for location and part numbers for the different filters.
Thank you!!! I am very grateful for your response. I have spent months on this problem. Talked to about 5 different people about the problem. All of which have some knowledge on Bobcats. Most were personal acquaintances who were really trying to help. None of them have been to provide a system diagram. This gives me a very good start on sourcing the problem. I will post again on what I find.

OP
OP
J

Justlearning

Thank you!!! I am very grateful for your response. I have spent months on this problem. Talked to about 5 different people about the problem. All of which have some knowledge on Bobcats. Most were personal acquaintances who were really trying to help. None of them have been to provide a system diagram. This gives me a very good start on sourcing the problem. I will post again on what I find.
Its strange. The schematic shows where the snubbing filter is (in the filter block) yet my skidsteer filter block does not look the same. Has no port for a snubbing filter.

brdgbldr

Its strange. The schematic shows where the snubbing filter is (in the filter block) yet my skidsteer filter block does not look the same. Has no port for a snubbing filter.
It looks like the older 463 did not have a snubber filter.

Make sure you enter your serial number or at least make sure you open the parts catalog for your range of serial number.

Your problem could still be something in the line blocking flow. Hopefully it's not your pump but I wouldn't think it would have worked for a while at all if your pump was bad.

You may also have a stuck valve.

I assume that the only problem Is the drive function and the lift and tilt still work.

According to my diagnostics manual, since both drive motors are not working, it is probably something in the charge circuit. What sucks is this will be a lot of work Since you will need to check for leaks or restrictions in the entire charge pressure circuit. You would start with the lines coming in and out of the pump, oil cooler and oil filter. Then you check the cooler-bypass valve for worn or broken parts. Then check the charge relief valve. Then check the pump and then the drive motors.

Mind you that the above paragraph is generalized to all machines and I have noticed that bobcat will use different wording or names for different parts.

I think I would start with the poppet valve that is in the filter block. That is where later models put the brass filter. You may have a bad or broken spring. It looks like there is also just a poppet and spring that is also in that block. Pretty much just check that entire block for debris or worn or broken parts.

Anyway, that should get you stated. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

Justlearning

It looks like the older 463 did not have a snubber filter.

Make sure you enter your serial number or at least make sure you open the parts catalog for your range of serial number.

Your problem could still be something in the line blocking flow. Hopefully it's not your pump but I wouldn't think it would have worked for a while at all if your pump was bad.

You may also have a stuck valve.

I assume that the only problem Is the drive function and the lift and tilt still work.

According to my diagnostics manual, since both drive motors are not working, it is probably something in the charge circuit. What sucks is this will be a lot of work Since you will need to check for leaks or restrictions in the entire charge pressure circuit. You would start with the lines coming in and out of the pump, oil cooler and oil filter. Then you check the cooler-bypass valve for worn or broken parts. Then check the charge relief valve. Then check the pump and then the drive motors.

Mind you that the above paragraph is generalized to all machines and I have noticed that bobcat will use different wording or names for different parts.

I think I would start with the poppet valve that is in the filter block. That is where later models put the brass filter. You may have a bad or broken spring. It looks like there is also just a poppet and spring that is also in that block. Pretty much just check that entire block for debris or worn or broken parts.

Anyway, that should get you stated. Good luck.
Thank you kindly for all your help so far. Much appreciated. I have gotten farther with your help in one day than I have with 5 guys over many months.

My serial number is 522213066, F Series

Today I took off the filter and all but one line connected to the filter block (34). Removed the poppet (37) valve from the filter mount block. All the ports in the block were clean and in good condition. Spring (39) was not broken. Plunger (37) at end of spring is clean and has no scoring marks. I removed 2 lines (59 and 19) to the hydrostatic pump (44). All good. Lines were clear.

Question: Does the fluid flowing through suction line (53) have to pass through filter (9) before entering the line? if so, a clogged filter would starve the system of hydraulic fluid. I have not checked this filter yet. It got dark and has been raining off and on all day. However, I can't see if this filter was plugged, it being my problem. Reason is if the system was starved, the engine wouldn't "load-up" when I try to engage the wheels (go forward or backward). When I try to drive the wheels, the engine experiences a very heavy load to the point where it will stall if I don't let go of the drive levers. But I will inspect the filter tomorrow anyway.

Lift and tilt work perfectly normal.

Something I did notice is the fluid level in the hydraulic tank (12). It is about 3/4 empty. This is odd because the dipstick (1) shows full. However, if the filter (9) is plugged then I might be only reading the level in the tube (2). How close to the top of the tank (12) should the fluid be? I would think within a couple of inches. Do you know? Can you tell me what the charge relief valve specifically does? where does it relieve to?

Here's a thought. If just one of the hydrostatic pumps is siezed, would it prevent the other from rotating (pumping) too? If they are driven by a common drive shaft, this would be possible, would it not? This would explain why neither side works.

Last edited:

Markle

I think I saw this posted a second time in another location and suggested that the solenoid activated brake may be stuck and failed to full time brake on. Pull and Test solenoid.

brdgbldr

If your tank is low but the dipstick reads good, I would definitely pull that filter (9). It may not be the filter itself but something blocking the tank outlet. You may want to clean out the hydraulic tank. It could be that something is blocking the outlet or something is stuck in the suction hose (53) or the tee fitting (47). Something stuck in the tee fitting would explain the drive problem and the dipstick problem.

Also, for good measure make sure the breather on the tank isn't plugged.

The fluid level being that low is not a good thing either but your problem sounds like a blockage.

Last edited:

RedNeckMike

I am leaning towards Markle on bad brake solenoid.
Is machine parked on a slope? I have noticed mine bog down when I stop on slope and get out of machine.
brake solenoid is activated. When I get back in and go to move machine in direction of slope it bogs down too much pressure to release. When I go in opposite direction I hear solenoid release and all is good.

OP
OP
J

Justlearning

Thank you for the response. I was thinking the same. So I removed the solenoid plunger pin. Reassembled it without the pin. Still wouldn't move.

Latest posts